Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

USA anounced their roster for the Under 18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament being held this August.

3 players have potential 1st/2nd round potential at this point:

Brock Boeser – Forward 6’0 190lbs– potential 2nd round pick

Thomas Novak Forward 6-1 185lbs –Potential early 2nd round

Dennis Yan Forward 6’2 192lbs – potential 2nd Round

2015 NHL Draft - 50 Weeks and 50 Prospects

50) Brock Boeser C Waterloo USHL 6’0 195lbs

49) Nathan Noel C Saint John QMJHL 5’10 163lbs

article.jpg

Noel has been invited to Canada’s National Mens Summer under 18 Selection Camp this coming August prior to finalizing a team for the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament. In 2013, he was the 3rd overall pick by the Sea Dogs in the 2013 QMJHL draft. In his rookie season in the “Q” he was 3rd in team scoring (16G 23A). He is an offensive player who has slick skating skills however has work to do on his defensive game - finishing minus 35 last season.

Prior to 2013 Noel attended Shattuck-St.Marys boarding school in Minnesota – the same program that has produced stars such as Jonathan Toews, Zach Parise, Kyle Okposo, Nathan MacKinnon and Sidney Crosby.

He is currently projected as a 2nd round pick (3rd if defensive game doesn’t improve). He can help his draft status by not only working on his two way game but by adding some muscle and mass to his slight frame.

Ranked 27th by Future Considerations preliminary 2015 draft rankings and listed on the CSS 2015 Futures List

2015 NHL Draft - 50 Weeks and 50 Prospects

50) Brock Boeser C Waterloo USHL 6’0 195lbs

49) Nathan Noel C Saint John QMJHL 5’10 163lbs

48) Mathew Barzal C Seattle WHL 5’11 174lbs

Ranked 7th overall on the initial Future Considerations 2015 Prospects list.

barzal.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1

Career Highlights –

2014 -
invited to attend Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team selection camp that will be held from Aug. 2-5, to select the team that will represent Canada at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup.

2013/14
Represented Canada at the World U18 Tournament last April. Led all Seattle forwards in Assists during his rookie campaign with 40.

– drafted 1
st
overall in the WHL entry draft by Seattle

Barzal is considered a potential top 10 pick in the 2015 NHL Draft - having been compared to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. He has great vision / playmaking abilities and helps makes those around him better. Smooth skating, strong puck handling and ice awareness are his best assets at this time. He is still working on his 2 way game and scoring more himself and will be looking to improve on his 14 goals for the Thunderbirds.

---

Elliotte Friedman has reported that Jack Eichel has told Saint John of the Q that he will be attending Boston University this fall.

I'm not surprised at all - it was rumoured he would have been interesetd in playing in the OHL and I would have loved to see him go up against McDavid head to head.

Is there anyway he isn't 'one and done' at BU?

Edited by Crusader1969

Hmmm, three D and one who may or may not want to come to North America in the top 10? Do the Sabres take the D if they get pick #3? WTF, another D man isn't going to put this team over the top. If they get 3 or 4 they should trade down and go for one of the centers. Hardly the outcome one expects right now...unless the Sabres win the lotto, I can see a draft-day let-down brewing.

Edited by sizzlemeister

I don't agree. I think we still need a #1 D. Risto definitely has the look of a top 2 D but if the Sabres miss out on Eichel and McDavid - I would have no issues with them drafting Hanifin as the future #1 Dman.

We will have a better idea of the Sabres draft needs with another year of developement from Grigorenko. If he has a break out season, we could already be set at Centre. Don't get me wrong, I will gladly move Rienhart or Grigs to wing for a chance at McDavid / Eichel.

I wouldn't look too closely at the top 5 picks yet other than the two guys at the top. If we miss out on them there always seems like big risers and fallers throughout the year that will change the look of the top 5. Last year I don't think too many people had Bennett going in the top 5 of the draft and I think the year before it was Drouin that raced way up the board throughout the year.

Looks like I was mistaken as Bob Mac had Bennett ranked 5th at the start of last year although ISS had him ranked 9th and Draisaitl 10th.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/97007/iss-draft-rankings-top-2014-duo-holds-steady-but-plenty-of-movement-among-other-prospects/

However, I was right about Drouin as he doesn't show up in Bob's top 10 rankings in September 2012.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9600

Hmmm, three D and one who may or may not want to come to North America in the top 10? Do the Sabres take the D if they get pick #3? WTF, another D man isn't going to put this team over the top. If they get 3 or 4 they should trade down and go for one of the centers. Hardly the outcome one expects right now...unless the Sabres win the lotto, I can see a draft-day let-down brewing.

If we pick 3-5, I'd be happy to take kylington or Hanifan, they're top pairing defencemen. We'll have two othe picks to add more scoring.

I'm a little torn on the idea of taking another dman. We really are still paper thin as far as scoring forwards go. I might favor Zacha at three, despite saying about a month ago I'd be okay with Hanifin.

Beyond rediculous. He will be a top 10 pick come next June.

should have explained that it isnt ranked in any particular order just 50 top prospects- may go alphabetical but finding it hard to find good scouting reports on guys who play ouside north america at this early stage

Edited by Crusader1969

should have explained that it isnt ranked in any particular order just 50 top prospects- may go alphabetical but finding it hard to find good scouting reports on guys who play ouside north america at this early stage

Do you have a link? Because that doesn't make sense.

no, just compiling the top players from various 2015 draft rankings. i think its to early to do any serious rankings anyways. just looking to do up profiles for 50 top prospects not named McDavid or Eichel

Oh. Well it's odd to put number on them then haha.

Faulkner was struggling at 48, too, even after successes. Barzal still might become a good writer.

Do people get carpal tunnel from too many wrist shots? Might slow him down.

This is what happens when I go on vacation. If this was posted, I missed it.

http://futureconside...a/top-rankings/

They have short write ups on the guys as well.

post-2716-0-10565100-1406294810_thumb.png

#10 Pavel Zacha

"The top Czech prospect for the 2015 draft…a big boy who is pretty physical for his age…he will hit you because that's what he does…goes hard to the net and is relentless on the forecheck..."

Here's a good write up on the guys expected to go top 10 in next years draft.

http://www.hockeysfu...-class-of-2015/

McEichel are obviously the prizes but man I love the sound of some of these other kids. With 3 firsts and 2 seconds this upcoming draft will hopefully change this franchise for the next decade +.

Thanks for the list Liger. Who knows how these kids will turn out for sure but Jordan Greenway ranked 14 has a very similar write up as Dal Colle who went 5th overall in this years draft (whom the Isles took). As many have stated, this is such a deep draft that I'm still glad the Isles kept the 5th pick. In my view, as long as the Isles pick is in the top 12 to 14, I still think that will be close to equivalent to number 5 in this past year.

Edited by Derrico

Here's a good write up on the guys expected to go top 10 in next years draft.

http://www.hockeysfu...-class-of-2015/

McEichel are obviously the prizes but man I love the sound of some of these other kids. With 3 firsts and 2 seconds this upcoming draft will hopefully change this franchise for the next decade +.

Thanks for the list Liger. Who knows how these kids will turn out for sure but Jordan Greenway ranked 14 has a very similar write up as Dal Colle who went 5th overall in this years draft (whom the Isles took). As many have stated, this is such a deep draft that I'm still glad the Isles kept the 5th pick. In my view, as long as the Isles pick is in the top 12 to 14, I still think that will be close to equivalent to number 5 in this past year.

I hope Zacha comes over here this year and plays and I hope he is drafted by us. Anytime I see things about aggressive and likes to shoot, I get warm fuzzy feels.

Also there is a defender named Pilon... this amuses me.

Also Lawson Crousse is a "moose" ... this amuses me more.

Edited by LGR4GM

I hope Zacha comes over here this year and plays and I hope he is drafted by us. Anytime I see things about aggressive and likes to shoot, I get warm fuzzy feels.

Also there is a defender named Pilon... this amuses me.

Also Lawson Crousse is a "moose" ... this amuses me more.

Something previously that I read stated that he had a 2 year contract with his club in the Czech Republic and that he may not be coming over to join Sarnia during that period.

http://frozenfutures.com/2014/07/06/pavel-zacha-may-report-sarnia-sting/

^

He definitely has a lot to like in the tools department. I am still a Barzal guy, but if its size you want then there are other options.