Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

2015 NHL Draft - 50 Weeks and 50 Prospects (In no particular order)

Week 1 Brock Boeser C Waterloo USHL 6’0 195lbs

Week 2 Nathan Noel C Saint John QMJHL 5’10 163lbs

Week 3 Mathew Barzal C Seattle WHL 5’11 174lbs

Week 4 - Mitchell Marner C London Knights 5’10 164lb

Week 5 Matthew Spencer D Peterborough 6’2 190lbs

Ranked 36 by Future Considerations

matt_spencer_peterborough_petes.jpg

Career Highlights -

2014 - invited to attend Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team selection camp that will be held from Aug. 2-5, to select the team that will represent Canada at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup.

2013 – Drafted 3rd overall by Peterborough in OHL Draft

Spencer is a high character type player who leads both on and off the ice - a two way player who can be used in any situation. At 6’2 he is a physical, intimidating player who will take away space and fight hard along the boards. Spencer will use his size to his advantage and will not back away from laying out big open ice hits when the opportunity arises. He came into the OHL possessing deceptive offensive skills and a heavy shot but concentrated on the defensive side of the game in his first year.

He is still thought to be a bit rough around the edges and needs to work on his passing accuracy when exiting the defensive zone. Will work to improve his offence numbers in his sophomore year with the Pete’s – looking to improve on his 1G 14A rookie campaign. Spencer has huge upside and is thought to be a late first or early second round pick in next years NHL draft.

Edited by Crusader1969

He's top 5. He'd probably be our pick if anything.

If he doesn't adjust quickly he could fall outside the top 5. I am thinking the Sabres draft 1-3 and in that case you are looking at McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin unless someone really brings it. This is what will be fun about this year. Seeing all the movement these guys have in the rankings and where they end up. Zacha could come to Sarnia and own it or struggle. Should be fun to watch.

Edited by LGR4GM

Canada announces Under 18 Roster to compete at Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament next week:

• Mathew Barzal C Seattle
  • Ethan Bear D Seattle
  • Jansen Harkins C Prince George
  • Connor Hobbs D Medicine Hat
  • Nick Merkley C Kelowna
  • Adan Musil C Red Deer,
  • Zach Sawchenko G Moose Jaw
  • Tyler Soy C Victoria
  • Lawson Crouse LW Kingston
  • Graham Knott LW Niagara
  • Travis Konecny C Ottawa
  • Mitch Marner C London
  • Matthew Spencer D Peterborough
  • Mitchell Stephens C Saginaw
  • Dylan Strome C Erie
  • Mitchell Vande Sompel D Oshawa
  • Anthony Beauvillier C Shawinigan
  • Callum Booth G Quebec
  • Guillaume Brisebois D Acadie-Bathurst
  • Nicholas Meloche D Baie-Comeua
  • Jeremy Roy D Sherbrooke
  • Nicholas Roy RW Chicoutini

Edited by Crusader1969

We are going for both, take out tavares in our first vs the islanders.

Can see murray yelling from the owners box, hit him on the kneees :w00t:

I'm just wondering if Tavares is healthy yet or still rehabbing? I still think the Islanders will be better than people think and we won't be picking in the top ten with their pick.

Yep. Reinhart is nice but another full out tank here can set us up for a long time.....

I agree I would use 2 firsts on offense and another on a defenseman.

I think the Islers are going to be either front runners most of the season or basement dwellers most of the season. I just can't decide which extreme it will be. They had a few players that had really good seasons and I am guessing they will tumble back to norms this year. On the other hand they did add some decent players upfront and on paper Halek is a upgrade. But the defense is lacking and Halek hasn't been what people would call a game changer. We have seen what other teams loaded up on forward but with little D do and generally it isn't pretty. If the defense can play good enough to force easy saves for Halek and play clean enough to get the forwards the puck they could be very good........... But I have a hard time believing it will happen

Everyone knows what I think of the NYI so I won't dwell.

Jack Eichel, 1g, 4a yesterday.

"I think it's in everyone's competitive nature that they want to go No. 1," Eichel said. "If I sat here and told you I didn't want to go No. 1 I'd be lying."

Instead Eichel will focus on the things he loves about hockey, and has loved ever since he was pushing that crate around Janas Rink.

"I just love being on the ice," he said. "I love to skate. I love the feeling you get when you score a goal or your team scores a goal. I love the camaraderie, being around the guys. It's such a great sport, so much passion."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728020

Top 2015 prospects playing at the Ivan Hlinkla Tourney starting on Monday:

Canada

Travis Konecny - C Ottawa 67s 5’9 172lbs

Mathew Barzal – C Seattle 5’11 174lbs

Dylan Strome – C Erie 6’3 177lbs

Nicolas Roy – RW Chicoutimi 6’4 168lbs

Lawson Crouse – LW Kingston 6’3 198lbs

Mitch Marner – C London 5’10 164lbs

Finland

Julius Nattinen C JYP Jyvaskyla 6’2 191lbs

Sabastian Aho LW Karpat U20 5’11 176lbs

Russia

Alexei Platonov D Atlant Mytisci 6’5 203lbs

USA

Dennis Yan RW USNDP 6’2 192lbs

Thomas Novak C St.Thomas HS 6’1 181lbs

Brock Boeser C Waterloo 6’0 190lbs

Sweden

Oliver Kylington D Farjestads BK 6’1 178lbs

Filip Ahi LW HV71 J20 6’4 214lbs

Edited by Crusader1969

It is that time of the year again, time for the Ivan Hlinka tournament to get under way and we have a nice little list of the top 10 guys to watch for. Each guy also gets a little bit of a write up.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/who-to-watch-for-at-the-ivan-hlinka-under-18-tournament/

Matt Barzal, C

Oliver Kylington, D

Dylan Strome, C

Travis Konecny, C

Mitch Marner, C/RW

Jakub Zboril, D

Sebastian Aho, LW

Alexei Platonov, D

Adam Huska, GT

Dominik Diem, C/LW

On a side note Patrik Laine is 2016 draft eligible and already 6'3" 200lbs as a 16yr old. He is considered to have an elite shot. Just someone to watch as well.

2015 NHL Draft - 50 Weeks and 50 Prospects (In no particular order)

Week 1 Brock Boeser C Waterloo USHL 6’0 195lbs

Week 2 Nathan Noel C Saint John QMJHL 5’10 163lbs

Week 3 Mathew Barzal C Seattle WHL 5’11 174lbs

Week 4 - Mitchell Marner C London Knights 5’10 164lb

Week 5 Matthew Spencer D Peterborough 6’2 190lbs

Week 6 Nick Boka D USNTDP u18 6’1 196lb

Career Highlights:

2013-14 Represented USA at the World Under-17 Championships

2013 Committed to University Michigan for fall of 2015

Boka is an all-round defeceman for the USNTDP. He has a physical presence in his own end – finishing a high percetage of his checks and has good positioning. Offensively he isn’t flashy but skates fairly well and isn’t afraid to skate the puck up the ice. He also possess has a good, heavy point shot.

At this time Boca is thought to be an early 2nd round draft pick in next years NHL draft.

Edited by Crusader1969

I did some valuation on mostly top-2 picks at their pre-NHL seasons to get a sense of where Eichel and McDavid stand as prospects. The chart is similar to the Sabres' pipeline chart over in the Sabres' prospects post.

To summarize where Eichel and McDavid stand after age 16.

1. Gretzky

2. Lemieux

3. Crosby

4. Eichel

5. Ovechkin

6. Tavares

7. Patrick Kane

8. McDavid

9. Taylor Hall

10. Seguin

I did some valuation on mostly top-2 picks at their pre-NHL seasons to get a sense of where Eichel and McDavid stand as prospects. The chart is similar to the Sabres' pipeline chart over in the Sabres' prospects post.

To summarize where Eichel and McDavid stand after age 16.

1. Gretzky

2. Lemieux

3. Crosby

4. Eichel

5. Ovechkin

6. Tavares

7. Patrick Kane

8. McDavid

9. Taylor Hall

10. Seguin

Do you have anything in there that accounts for the year when those guys were evaluated? I'm thinking specifically of Gretzky and Lemieux since those numbers come from a different era of hockey.

I ask because I started think of college guys and how there are none of those on your list (soon enough for Eichel). If you're capable of throwing other players in there, I'd be curious to see where Paul Kariya's monstrous college numbers would put him.

http://www.limedata.us/blog/b46.php

Kariya has only one year I can use, since I never came up with a number for BCJHL, and his second year at Maine is too short to get a reasonable valuation. Kariya's year is at age 17, so when the chart opens (to 16), use the yellow buttons on top to move to 17.

No, there's nothing as to the year. I added Gretzky and Lemieux as tongue in cheek, but I think it works now. I think both the juniors and the NHL lost scoring roughly comparably, so even though a current junior isn't going to score like Lemieux in juniors, he won't score like Lemieux in the NHL either.

As far as other college players, you can dig through the draft post (b40.php) and find some college players, I count 4 WCHA players. Toews is at 873 at age 17, which is too low. The valuations are more random for college players.