Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Something that occurred to me last night is that it wouldn't just be losing McDavid or Eichel and drafting Strome/Hanifin/Marner instead.  It would be 15-20 years of "What if's?"

Every time we play those two, every time they make an all-star team, and, worst of all, if they win the Cup at any point in their careers -- there's going to be a reaction in Buffalo and it won't be good.  People still talk about the Devils missing out on Mario Lemieux but they managed to neutralize that by winning Stanley Cups of their own in the 90s.  Would the Sabres be able to whiff on McDavid and Eichel (after two years of tanking, mind you) and still win the Cup?

What happens in the next 5 days is going to change our team and our fanbase for a generation.

Absolutely they can as this team will eventually have amazing depth and whomever they draft at 3 is going to be a high end top 6 player. I think the biggest difference will be next year because without McDavid or Eichel the team will be near the top of the draft in 2016 as well.

No matter how this plays out over the next few days - the Sabres will be playoff / cup contenders by 2017.

Absolutely they can as this team will eventually have amazing depth and whomever they draft at 3 is going to be a high end top 6 player. I think the biggest difference will be next year because without McDavid or Eichel the team will be near the top of the draft in 2016 as well.

No matter how this plays out over the next few days - the Sabres will be playoff / cup contenders by 2017.

Playoffs in 2017? decent chance. Bona fide Contenders? maybe at best. I think it'll take another year or two for the kids to hit their stride.

I do not think there is a (realistic) package of players that I, or certainly Murray, would trade McDavid to receive.  Eichel, maybe, although he's an amazing talent too.  But McDavid is a Stanley Cup waiting to happen.  Talents like him generate Cups, period.  He is a Crosby, Lemieux, Gretzky type of kid.  You don't trade away your chance to draft that type of player, especially not after two years of tanking to get him.   

I do not think there is a (realistic) package of players that I, or certainly Murray, would trade McDavid to receive.  Eichel, maybe, although he's an amazing talent too.  But McDavid is a Stanley Cup waiting to happen.  Talents like him generate Cups, period.  He is a Crosby, Lemieux, Gretzky type of kid.  You don't trade away your chance to draft that type of player, especially not after two years of tanking to get him.   

Lindros never generated a cup.  While I agree that there may not be a return worthy of trading away a player like McDavid, there are no guarantees.

With our other assets, assuming they are not expended in a trade for a player, what are the chances we can move up and grab Provorov?  What would it cost?   I am thinking slim chance, but that would be a great haul from this draft, assuming a #2 first pick.  

It would cost something like the 21st overall pick and maybe a baptiste or a bailey or a similar type prospect. Really depends on where Provorov slides to and the team that is there. 

The pessimistic me would say they won't need to draft Provorov when they already have Hanifin.

I'd draft Marner and Strome before Hanifin. Ristolainen basically does everything Hanifin does. 

Draft Profile #8: Mikko Rantanen

"a big player who plays a power forward style of game. At six-foot-four he has the ideal size that NHL teams crave. He works extremely hard along the boards and is extremely effective at winning battles in international tournaments in his age group. He may not throw huge hits, but he uses his size effectively in the corners and in establishing position in the offensive zone."

you guys think kylington could fall low enough to our other 1st round pick ?

I wish he was bigger and had a better shot but I would put him in the 16-20 range with the possibility to fall into the 21-24 range depending on how defenders go at this draft.  The simply answer is yes I do.

Personally in that range I would take Jakub Zboril because I like his shot and his physicality more.  I basically think he has more upside. 

Yeah i think we need to take a D with our other first rounder, we lack depth.

Don't know who we'll have after McCabe, Pysyk make it next year.

Hope Brycen Martin pans out and hope that we draft one this year.  I would like to take one in the late 1st round and 1 in the 2nd.

I actually like Meier a lot.  I just don't think he will be there at roughly 22.  He is a player I wish I had read more on and could watch more on.

He is ranked pretty highly.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=95921

He is good and has good size (not that that always matters).

I wish we could draft him, but I see him going somewhere around 12 - 15, or so.

And it's been a while since shrader has exposed me as a homer, so I need to start rattling his cage a bit ...  :angel:

I'm quickly hitting the point where I would like to see Columbus win the draft lottery.  That team could become a juggernaut very quickly.

Given the 2 caveats: Sabres end up in 30th and don't win the lottery (via their own nor Garth's pick), that is probably my preferred outcome.

I'm intrigued by the Kyllington possibility.

I'm not sure why is is dropping, but he certainly seems a good fit.

And it's impossible not to think of Karlsson.

I obviously see the movement with the puck.  I was just wondering if there's anything else that I missed on the YouTube watches.  

I'm intrigued by the Kyllington possibility.

I'm not sure why is is dropping, but he certainly seems a good fit.

And it's impossible not to think of Karlsson.

he is dropping because he has a terrible hockey IQ and is consistentley poor in his own end from what I've been hearing about him all season.

I've been down on him for months and I may not take him with the 31st pick if he were on the board - there will be better options. available.

I'm quickly hitting the point where I would like to see Columbus win the draft lottery.  That team could become a juggernaut very quickly.

If Columbus does us a solid on Friday I'm on board I guess, although I'd really rather see McDavid go out west if the lottery doesn't fall our way.  If they don't and Arizona also does not cooperate, then fug 'em right where they breathe.

he is dropping because he has a terrible hockey IQ and is consistentley poor in his own end from what I've been hearing about him all season.

I've been down on him for months and I may not take him with the 31st pick if he were on the board - there will be better options. available.

Karlsson dropped for being a softie.

Hasnt Kylington been playing with men since he was 16 or something ridiculous like that?

I honestly haven't paid much attention to him this season.

Edited by dudacek