Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Even with the tank unofficially over after this season we should still stand a decent chance to draft high in 2016. I believe they weight your finishes of the 3 most recent seasons which would put us with the worst record from 2013-2014, a bottom feeder record this year, and however we'd finish up next year which even with a top 2 pick in this draft should be a bottom 10 finish next year.

No. There are simply three lotteries. One for the first pick, one for the second, one for the third.

No. There are simply three lotteries. One for the first pick, one for the second, one for the third.

It may be 3 lotteries but I read somewhere that the percentage of balls in the lottery or however they do it is still determined by record for the past 3 seasons instead of just the most recent one.

its being reported that Zacha is out between 3-5 weeks. If back in 5 weeks he would be only playing in 10 more games before the OHL season ends.

Between his Injuries, Suspensions and how deep a draft this will be maybe he drops to the 15 - 20 range? which would be great because the 2 guys I've had my eye on all year Svechnikov and Marner have both risen too high for the Sabres to pick up with their 2nd pick in round 1. Thanks Islanders!

So time to locate a couple of new targets for the Sabres who could fall into the 17 to 25 range.

1) Travis Konecny - yes another 5'10 winger who plays for the 67s. Started the season often ranked in the top 10 prospects. OHL rookie of the year in 2014 but hasn't lived up to the hype this season. Though he has started to heat up in January. Great shot/speed combo.

2) Temo Meier - Going the opposite direction of Konecny. He started as a 2nd round pick and has moved up into the mid to late 1st round. Had a really nice WJC and has meshed well with Ehlers in Halifax. 6'0 and 210lbs - plays a phsyical game and is scoring at an impressive rate. 56pts in 37games in the "Q" plus 6pts in 6 games at the WJC.

3) Daniel Sprong - another prospect that has slipped in the draft rankings. Sprong seems to have aquired a reputation as a puck hog this season with Charlottetown. Though I have been reading that he is starting to use his teammates more often over the last couple of weeks. 8 assists in the first 2 1/2 weeks of January compared to 4 in the entire month of December. Has elite level skill and skating ability.

Well looking over the full rankings, Lawson Crouse is not the 4th best player in this draft. I have never so vehemently disagreed with so many rankings. Marner at 7... just admit it scouts, you give +++ to players based on size. I understand why you do but Marner can flat out play. Crouse is a solid player but he doesn't have top 5 pick skills. This draft is shaping up to be more interesting than I thought and I can't wait to see how this shakes out.

Other surprises, while Provorov at 10 is not much of a surprise Zboril at 11 is pretty interesting. I thought Zacha might slide a little more and Konecny falling into the late 20's is also interesting. Filip Ahl, who has a hilarious name but can also play very well at #8 for international skaters. Miko Rantanen is the top ranked ITL forward and someone who has kept climbing boards.

Very interesting.

Oilers GM MacTavish said today he would be willing to trade his 1st round pick for a more veteran player. Now before you get all excited he means that he will make the pick and then take offers on that player for someone "a little further along in development".

Thoughts?

Oilers GM MacTavish said today he would be willing to trade his 1st round pick for a more veteran player. Now before you get all excited he means that he will make the pick and then take offers on that player for someone "a little further along in development".

Thoughts?

Realistically, it's a good idea. Adding another top-2 pack to the Eulers probably won't change things with that team, they've been doing it for 5 years and it hasn't gotten them anywhere. They're rapidly getting to the point where picking high in this draft may not ensure that they won't lose Hall to FA (picked 2010) before this new player is fully up to speed. The haul they'd bring in for a top-3 pick in terms of NHL players might be exactly what they need. I'd be a bold move though.

I'd think you'd be talking about giving up your first rounder (let's not assume it's not #2 like the Sabres will be, but something like #10), 1st line wing, 1st pair D, another good, young D, 2016 1st(?) and maybe a G if there's a good one. That gets the Eulers what they need, and you better hope that #1-2 pick is everything you hope.

Edited by MattPie

So Josh Cooper from Puck Daddy decided to publish this article...

http://sports.yahoo....-041542314.html

It's the most obvious troll job i've ever seen. He knows if he writes that all of the frustrated hockey fans in Buffalo and Alberta are going to spam his comment box with hate. Right after reading the article and giving him clicks. Meanwhile, the people in Arizona and Carolina will continue to look forward to next year's football season.

I like the logic that we don't deserve to get an NHL "prodigy" because we had one who retired almost 30 years ago. Yeah, we're really spoiled in that department.

It was a brilliant article. Piss off people in 2 markets that do care about hockey (raising click rates) in support of markets that 'traditional' fans scoff at - again boosting click rates.

He probably generated 4x or more the clicks and 10x the comments an article saying Buffalo, Edmonton, or both should land a piece of the McEichel.

It was a brilliant article. Piss off people in 2 markets that do care about hockey (raising click rates) in support of markets that 'traditional' fans scoff at - again boosting click rates.

He probably generated 4x or more the clicks and 10x the comments an article saying Buffalo, Edmonton, or both should land a piece of the McEichel.

That generally is their approach over there isn't it? Except for Wyshoweveryouspellhisname, I can't remember seeing anything with remotely any value there.

In that case … for the love of god please Arizona and Carolina tank. Tank worse than you’ve ever tanked before in your history. Do all in your power to make sure Eichel and McDavid don’t end up with Edmonton and Buffalo, the two poster children for crappola franchises.

We need one of you to save hockey in the desert. We need the other to be the heir apparent to Eric Staal and bring back the playoff hockey tailgates we knew and loved in Carolina’s runs to the Cup Final.

The last thing we need is for either to end up in Edmonton/Hoth or the recovering industrial paradise known as Buffalo – though one would get a ton of national TV love with the latter.

Lastly, Buffalo and Edmonton don’t deserve to have another hockey prodigy. Sabres fans had Gilbert Perreault and were treated to the French Connection. The Oilers dynasties of the 80s go without saying.

594033-__super.jpg

I feel guilty I clicked on the link. I feel less guilty that I didn't bother to finish the article. All I'll say in rebuttal is, if winning the Stanley Cup didn't sufficiently build the game in Raleigh, nothing will.

Exactly, it's bait.

son-this-is-bait.png

It's time to be afraid that this happens:

2015 #1, Kessel, Phaneuf, Reilly, Bernier, 2016 #1 to Edmonton for McDavid and a contract or two. Edmonton is closer to the cap than you'd think and that's a lot of money to add with none going back.

Why on earth would Edmonton even consider that? Toronto would have to be the one trading away McDavid in order to move the ridiculous contracts of Kessel and Phaneuf.