2014 - 2015 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Let me preface this with saying I understood what we're getting into this season, and I'm still on board. That being said, I am starting to realize there may only be 3-4 guys currently on our roster that will be part of any sort of run in the upcoming years. That's a ton of roster spots to fill, and most of our prospects aren't even in the AHL yet. I did look and Fasching, Bailey, Compher, Carrier and a few others are all 19 this year. Do we know if they're going to the Amerks next season? The sooner the better; it'll be at least 2-3 full seasons in the AHL before any of them are ready (some might make an exception)

Edited by WildCard

Let me preface this with saying I understood what we're getting into this season, and I'm still on board. That being said, I am starting to realize there may only be 3-4 guys currently on our roster that will be part of any sort of run in the upcoming years. That's a ton of roster spots to fill, and most of our prospects aren't even in the AHL yet. I did look and Fasching, Bailey, Compher, Carrier and a few others are all 19 this year. Do we know if they're going to the Amerks next season? The sooner the better; it'll be at least 2-3 full seasons in the AHL before any of them are ready (some might make an exception)

Okay let's think (Some of the following will be wrong lol)

The Big Guns

Currently in the AHL

Grigorenko

Armia

Larsson

Carrier

Pysyk

McCabe

Kea (ECHL for now)

AHL bound in 2015

Reinhart

Zadorov

Baptiste

Bailey

Compher (if he leaves college early)

Fasching (if he leaves college early)

Possler?

Ullmark?

AHL bound in 2016

Lemieux

Hurley (if he leaves college early)

Cornel

Karabacek

I don't think Compher or Hurley will leave early to go to Rochester. If they wish they can stay in school and come out as free agents. Fasching, from what I hear, may wish to start his pro career next year.

I would agree with that. I would rank it Fasching the most likely, then compher, and then hurley. But if compher steps it up this year again, then you never know.

My point is I think he wants to go right to the NHL. If he improves every year, in 4 years he can go to any team willing to give him an nhl roster spot. Compher that is. Hurley look good in the three I saw him, but he is light.

Hard to predict. It's amazing how many RFAs the Sabres have next year too. That's a lot of contracts to sort out. However, looking at UFAs, you can begin to see what will change.

This year: Stafford, Stewart, Mitchell, Kaleta, Meszaros, Benoit, Strachan, Neuvirth, Enroth (Of that group, right now? Perhaps MItchell gets resigned).

in 2015: Weber (seeya!)

In 2016: McCormick, Gionta (Gionta will retire at that point)

The only long term contracts are: Moulson, Ennis, Hodgson, Myers, and Gorges.

Next year (2015)

Forwards: Moulson, Ennis, Hodgson, Girgensons, Larsson, McCormick, Gionta, Grigorenko, Armia, Deslauriers, Foligno, Free Agent?

Defense: Myers, Gorges, Ristolainen, Pysyk, McCabe, Free Agent?

Goal: Lieuwen, Makarov, Free Agent

In 2016:

Forwards: Moulson, Ennis, Hodgson, Girgensons, Larsson, McCormick, Gionta, Grigorenko, Reinhart, Armia, Foligno/Deslauriers (if resigned), Free Agent/Free Agent?

Defense: Myers, Gorges, Ristolainene, Pysyk, McCabe, Zadarov?

You can project out even more and it gets dicey. Some of those players will be traded at some point I am certain. The Sabres will be able to sign a few higher profile UFAs and as such trade a few prospects who are ready to play for another NHL team. But that looks to be the path.

Justin Bailey with another goal. 8 on the year.

I went to see Brendan Lemieux and Justin Bailey on Friday night in Kitchener. I can honestly say Bailey was the best player on the ice bar-none. He created so many chances, caused havoc with his speed and has one hell of a snapshot. Lemieux scored a PP goal off a nice deflection standing in front of the net - something it seems the Sabres could really use.

(put this together as a good point of reference for the lurkers out there and for those looking towards the future)

No one is enjoying hockey time, which is a shame. But for those of you who aren't in tune with our future as much as some of us (for the lurkers out there), here is what you have to hang you hopes on. This team is devoid of talent right now, with only a handful of guys that you actually want on a contending team. Rebuilding is risky business, as it doesn't work out often because a lot of luck is involved. So sometimes teams get stuck in "long rebuilds" because their young guys just never turn into players you can build around. Luckily for the sabres, we aren't just depending on a few high draft picks, we will have prospects coming from every angle in a few years.

Here are the sources of talent for this franchise...

The 4 Big Name Defenders

Ristolainen, Zadorov, Pysyk, and McCabe

This is a crucial part of our future success. Building a defensive core that has a strong physical presence, can move the puck, and help put up some points is not an easy thing to do. It has been a long time since teams have had to fear getting hit as the cross the blueline when they play against the Sabres. Hopefully these guys can change that.

When will I see them? Ristolainen and Pysyk should both finish this season in Buffalo, while McCabe and Zadorov have a chance to transition full time to the NHL next year

The Forgotten Two

Grigorenko & Armia

Our first rounders in 2011 and 2012 have both been written off as busts in there extremely short careers. But at the “old age” of 21 & 20, things are just beginning for these two. This is Grigorenko’s first year starting in the AHL, and this is Armia’s first healthy year in the AHL. And things are getting off on the right foot as both are establishing their presence in Rochester’s first three games. If we are going to get scoring help in the next couple of years, it will be from these two. If you want an accelerated rebuild, root for these two.

When will I see them? I’m not sure when we will finally see Grigorenko called up, but if they both continue to play as they can, both will be in the NHL by the end of next year.

The Superstars

Reinhart & Unknown BUF 2015 1st Rounder

You don’t select someone in the top 3, unless you hope they are going to be stars you can build around. What else needs to be said, these are two players that you don’t hope become franchise players (like a Grigorenko or Armia), but instead you expect them to be franchise players.

When will I see them? Both of these players will start next season on the sabres, then we’ll see if they deserve to stick around past their 9 game tryout.

The College Kids

Fasching, Compher, and Hurley.

We traded Sekera for Compher, we traded Mcnabb and draft picks for Fasching, and Hurley was the youngest kid in the 2013 draft. Both Fasching and Compher had exceptional standout freshman seasons and exceeded their draft expectations while elevating their stock big time.

When will I see them? Who knows, while Fasching and Compher are sophomores, and Hurley is a freshman, it all depends on when they leave college. It isn’t uncommon to see players leave college after their second or third season (McCabe), so we’ll have to wait and see. But It's expected that Fasching will turn Pro in either 2015 or 2016.

The 5 OHLers

Baptiste, Bailey, Lemieux, Cornel, & Karabacek

Nothing is more satisfying than watching a 2nd or 3rd round pick enjoy a post-draft breakout season. This happened last year when Baptiste scored 45 goals in 65 games (89 total points). Meanwhile Bailey might be breaking out this year with 8 goals in 8 games. Let’s hope Lemieux, Cornel, and Karabacek can experience the same.

When will I see them? Bailey and Baptiste become AHL eligible in 2015, while Lemiuex, Cornel, and Karabacek won’t see any professional hockey until 2016. It’s likely all of these players will need at least one or two years in Rochester.

The Swedes

Ullmark, Possler, Johansson, & Oloffson

Both Possler and Ullmark enjoyed true break out seasons last year, as Ullmark had one of the best seasons for a goalie, and Possler was on a high scoring pace until he suffered a serious injury. Neither have been off to the best start this season, but it is still early. If any of the swedes can make it to the NHL, it’ll be a huge help, especially if our goalie of the future is there.

When will I see them? It’s going to be a few years. While Johansson (big goalie with the 61st overall pick last year) and Oloffson certainly have a few more years over in in Sweden, Ullmark and Possler could make the jump to North America as soon as next year.

The Wildcards

Carrier, Larsson, Kea, Petersen, Makarov, NYI 2015 1st, STL 2015 1st, BUF 2015 2nd, NYI 2015 2nd

These are the players (not including those draft picks), that you don’t count on, but it should would help to have them succeed. From the undrafted like Makarov to the players who dropped on draft day like Carrier.

When will I see them? I threw in the draft picks as we aren’t sure when they will be, but this section accounts for all the talent that will be steadily be entering our pro system over the next 5 years. Some of these players like Carrier, Larsson, Kea, and Makarov have already turned pro, while other’s we won’t see in a sabre uniform until 2020!

Justin Bailey with another goal. 8 on the year.

I went to see Brendan Lemieux and Justin Bailey on Friday night in Kitchener. I can honestly say Bailey was the best player on the ice bar-none. He created so many chances, caused havoc with his speed and has one hell of a snapshot. Lemieux scored a PP goal off a nice deflection standing in front of the net - something it seems the Sabres could really use.

I can't believe he's tearing it up like this.

He's going full-Baptiste

This is what we were hoping for. Anytime 2nd round or later, you have to choose between a guy putting up points in Juniors whose game may not translate to higher levels or guy without flashy numbers whose game may develop later and be suited for the NHL.

Bailey was a project when we drafted him. We had to hope he'd put it all together in his last two years of Junior and, last year, we had to cling to the idea that his numbers were low because Kitchner was such a bad team.

These first 8 games are practically the best case scenario. He's not just putting up points, but guys like Crusader are coming away saying he was the best player on the ice when they watched the game.

The bad news is that it's just 8 games so far. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that he keeps it up and earns a spot on Team USA's WJC roster. I want to believe.

(put this together as a good point of reference for the lurkers out there and for those looking towards the future)

No one is enjoying hockey time, which is a shame. But for those of you who aren't in tune with our future as much as some of us (for the lurkers out there), here is what you have to hang you hopes on. This team is devoid of talent right now, with only a handful of guys that you actually want on a contending team. Rebuilding is risky business, as it doesn't work out often because a lot of luck is involved. So sometimes teams get stuck in "long rebuilds" because their young guys just never turn into players you can build around. Luckily for the sabres, we aren't just depending on a few high draft picks, we will have prospects coming from every angle in a few years.

Here are the sources of talent for this franchise...

The 4 Big Name Defenders

Ristolainen, Zadorov, Pysyk, and McCabe

This is a crucial part of our future success. Building a defensive core that has a strong physical presence, can move the puck, and help put up some points is not an easy thing to do. It has been a long time since teams have had to fear getting hit as the cross the blueline when they play against the Sabres. Hopefully these guys can change that.

When will I see them? Ristolainen and Pysyk should both finish this season in Buffalo, while McCabe and Zadorov have a chance to transition full time to the NHL next year

The Forgotten Two

Grigorenko & Armia

Our first rounders in 2011 and 2012 have both been written off as busts in there extremely short careers. But at the “old age” of 21 & 20, things are just beginning for these two. This is Grigorenko’s first year starting in the AHL, and this is Armia’s first healthy year in the AHL. And things are getting off on the right foot as both are establishing their presence in Rochester’s first three games. If we are going to get scoring help in the next couple of years, it will be from these two. If you want an accelerated rebuild, root for these two.

When will I see them? I’m not sure when we will finally see Grigorenko called up, but if they both continue to play as they can, both will be in the NHL by the end of next year.

The Superstars

Reinhart & Unknown BUF 2015 1st Rounder

You don’t select someone in the top 3, unless you hope they are going to be stars you can build around. What else needs to be said, these are two players that you don’t hope become franchise players (like a Grigorenko or Armia), but instead you expect them to be franchise players.

When will I see them? Both of these players will start next season on the sabres, then we’ll see if they deserve to stick around past their 9 game tryout.

The College Kids

Fasching, Compher, and Hurley.

We traded Sekera for Compher, we traded Mcnabb and draft picks for Fasching, and Hurley was the youngest kid in the 2013 draft. Both Fasching and Compher had exceptional standout freshman seasons and exceeded their draft expectations while elevating their stock big time.

When will I see them? Who knows, while Fasching and Compher are sophomores, and Hurley is a freshman, it all depends on when they leave college. It isn’t uncommon to see players leave college after their second or third season (McCabe), so we’ll have to wait and see. But It's expected that Fasching will turn Pro in either 2015 or 2016.

The 5 OHLers

Baptiste, Bailey, Lemieux, Cornel, & Karabacek

Nothing is more satisfying than watching a 2nd or 3rd round pick enjoy a post-draft breakout season. This happened last year when Baptiste scored 45 goals in 65 games (89 total points). Meanwhile Bailey might be breaking out this year with 8 goals in 8 games. Let’s hope Lemieux, Cornel, and Karabacek can experience the same.

When will I see them? Bailey and Baptiste become AHL eligible in 2015, while Lemiuex, Cornel, and Karabacek won’t see any professional hockey until 2016. It’s likely all of these players will need at least one or two years in Rochester.

The Swedes

Ullmark, Possler, Johansson, & Oloffson

Both Possler and Ullmark enjoyed true break out seasons last year, as Ullmark had one of the best seasons for a goalie, and Possler was on a high scoring pace until he suffered a serious injury. Neither have been off to the best start this season, but it is still early. If any of the swedes can make it to the NHL, it’ll be a huge help, especially if our goalie of the future is there.

When will I see them? It’s going to be a few years. While Johansson (big goalie with the 61st overall pick last year) and Oloffson certainly have a few more years over in in Sweden, Ullmark and Possler could make the jump to North America as soon as next year.

The Wildcards

Carrier, Larsson, Kea, Petersen, Makarov, NYI 2015 1st, STL 2015 1st, BUF 2015 2nd, NYI 2015 2nd

These are the players (not including those draft picks), that you don’t count on, but it should would help to have them succeed. From the undrafted like Makarov to the players who dropped on draft day like Carrier.

When will I see them? I threw in the draft picks as we aren’t sure when they will be, but this section accounts for all the talent that will be steadily be entering our pro system over the next 5 years. Some of these players like Carrier, Larsson, Kea, and Makarov have already turned pro, while other’s we won’t see in a sabre uniform until 2020!

I like this.

This is what we were hoping for. Anytime 2nd round or later, you have to choose between a guy putting up points in Juniors whose game may not translate to higher levels or guy without flashy numbers whose game may develop later and be suited for the NHL.

Bailey was a project when we drafted him. We had to hope he'd put it all together in his last two years of Junior and, last year, we had to cling to the idea that his numbers were low because Kitchner was such a bad team.

These first 8 games are practically the best case scenario. He's not just putting up points, but guys like Crusader are coming away saying he was the best player on the ice when they watched the game.

The bad news is that it's just 8 games so far. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that he keeps it up and earns a spot on Team USA's WJC roster. I want to believe.

I can't imagine Team US not figuring out a way to add him.

Great post Numark. I just wonder if a list like this could exist for every other team that is looking hopefully toward to their pipeline to save them from the shitter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_R-G_i4Xk

haha I think our wealth of draft picks the last few years would say otherwise. From 2011- 2015 we will have had 9 1st rounders (Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Reinhart, and our three next year). And we have a had a ton of of second rounders of the last few years as well. I don't think too many teams can compare even with fan-colored glasses

haha I think our wealth of draft picks the last few years would say otherwise. From 2011- 2015 we will have had 9 1st rounders (Armia, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Reinhart, and our three next year). And we have a had a ton of of second rounders of the last few years as well. I don't think too many teams can compare even with fan-colored glasses

I think that's the whole key. We're not just simply counting on the draft, we've been actively stacking the deck in our favor. In terms of talent assets, draft picks are really the only net income other than the occasional FA signing that works out. All our bonds are now set to mature around the same time. That's a good thing.

More about Bailey - he is basically a 1 man show for the Rangers.

8 of the teams 30 goals = 27% and has points on 43% of the teams goals. Could you imagine what he would be putting up if he played with Erie? Dude playing wing for McDavid in his first year in the OHL has 9 goals already.

Shame Bapitiste hasn't played yet - it would be fun to watch them compete for the most goals by Sabres prospect.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.