Hockey jersey numbers

Hoss

Kind of a random subject, but what are some of your favorite numbers?

A lot of people on here have complained recently about the "NASCAR" numbering system that the Sabres employ for new players (I also hate it).

So what number would you wear if you could wear any number 00-99? Why?

What numbers do you like the most for hockey players? Why?

What numbers do you hate? Why?

For me, I would be number 16, and I love the number. (I was born on the 16th day of July which is why seven is also one of my favorites. Doesn't hurt that 716 is both my birthday and my area code).

Also a fan of one of your most dynamic players wearing number 9... Paul Kariya was my first favorite hockey player so that's a big part of that...

kariya.jpg

Some higher numbers that I don't hate are 61, 63, 77 and any of the 90s numbers.

Numbers I can't stand are pretty much all of the 80s numbers. I can live with 81, 88 and 89, though.

I've worn a bunch of numbers, but I'm settling in on 16. Outside WNY, you can wear Sabres numbers without looking tooly.

No one should wear 99. Ever. At any level. 1 looks stupid too, but is sometimes acceptable for goalies. 69 stopped being funny long ago, and really only noobs or idiots wear that.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I've worn a bunch of numbers, but I'm settling in on 16. Outside WNY, you can wear Sabres numbers without looking tooly.

No one should wear 99. Ever. At any level. 1 looks stupid too, but is sometimes acceptable for goalies. 69 stopped being funny long ago, and really only noobs or idiots wear that.

I only like 1 for goalies. And I like it that way. The old Olympic way.

So far the only numbers mentioned have been 7, 16 and 24 which are, no lie, my top three numbers. Strange.

I was number 8 when I first started playing sports, but it was just given to me. Didn't like it. So I switched to 24. Ironically it was the same year that Kobe Bryant switched from 8 to 24, but the two aren't connected.

I liked the old days where the goalie wore #1, the defensemen wore numbers from 2 - 9 and the forwards wore 10 and up. You could tell the player's position just by his number (the NFL still kind of follows this - receivers are in the 80s, RBs in the 20s or 30s, etc.) When backup goalies became common, they got #30.

Now, with so many numbers retired, larger rosters, etc. anything goes. 99 should remain untouchable though.

When I was a kid, Roger Crozier wore #1 for the Sabres and Dave Dryden wore #30. With the chutzpah only a kid can have, I considered I had as much talent in goal as both of them put together. So, I wore #31. And that's still my favorite number.

I tend to bounce around on numbers. I like any variation of my birthday.

My goalie jersey is 00. Because Marty Biron.

I also tend to wear a particular number depending on how I feel I'm going to play in a game. I have a jersey with 67 on it that I wear if I'm feeling reserved.

Wore 7 in baseball, 9 is the family hockey number and 85 was my football number. I currently wear 85 in hockey because my league is huge and 9 was taken. The teams get mixed up every session and to save money and practice jerseys for the WBS Penguins my league commissioner decided to get us all one black jersey and one white. 7 and 9 were gone and i wasnt going to wear 07 or 09 so i took 85. Hey, its better than some of the triple digits that the noobs get saddled with.

Edited by ubkev

My goalie jersey is 00. Because Marty Biron.

Good man. I mentioned the number earlier and it is the single greatest goalie number of all time.

Most years I had random double digit numbers. I was a forward so it always seemed right. When I was playing in high school, I randomly got #6. I don't know what it was, but I really liked the look of that single digit number. I think I'd go back with something like that now if I was playing in any organized setting.

I always wore 11. I was always more of a plumber in minor hockey and the beer leagues except one exceptional year when I was put on a line with Rock LaRiviere and Deni LeRock two great french Canadian beer league players. The one and only time in my life I was a star. These two guys elevated my game and it was one heck of a ride. During one memorable tournament game in which Rock had already scored 5 or 6 goals by the 2nd intermission I asked him in the room between periods how he does it. He replied with a smile" I'm on mescaline ". Those were fantastic times and I have many great memories many of which I no longer remember :blink: . The team was called the social club for a reason. I joined when I was 16 with my best friend Pete and we were soon introduced to the high life and party ways of that madcap bunch of characters. I played for them for about 10 years but it was never as fun as the year I played with ' the frenchmen '. So ya. 11 was always my number but I was certainly no GP.

For football I was 88, but was never really married to it. I didn't like it for hockey, though, so I've been 44 because I figured it was half of 88 and Alexi Zhitnik wore it.

I don't really dislike any numbers, just certain players that have numbers.

Get the ###### outta here, no people name other people that, let alone put them on the same line. :w00t:

I swear to God. They both got homesick and moved back to Quebec. I've often wondered what the heck happened to those guys. People talk in the draft thread about players elevating other players. These two carried me.

I went to a kids summer hockey camp in Canada and was given #5. Got awarded most improved in camp and wore it ever since. Then when my son started playing he got the same number and wore it ever since. And we both played D, so it was appropriate.

If I was playing now and couldn't get 5, I'd get 98 so I would be the last player announced and my name would be at the end of the roster list.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.