2014 Buffalo Sabres First Selection Discussion

IKnowPhysics

Who will be the Buffalo Sabres first selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Buffalo Sabres first selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?

• Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) Center; 6’ 0.25”, 178 lbs. 2013-14: 57 games, 36-55-91, 118 PIM
    • Aaron Ekblad - Barrie Colts (OHL) Defenseman; 6’ 3.5”, 216 lbs. 2013-14: 58 games, 23-30-53, 91 PIM
    • Sam Reinhart - Kootenay Ice (WHL) Center; 6’ 0.75”, 185 lbs. 2013-14: 60 games, 36-69-105, 11 PIM
    • Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Center; 6’ 1.5”, 204 lbs. 2013-14: 64 games, 38-67-105, 24 PIM
    • Michael Dal Colle - Oshawa Generals (OHL) Left Wing; 6’ 1.5”, 182 lbs. 2013-14: 67 games, 39-56-95, 34 PIM
    • Other
  2. 2. Bonus question: Who will be the first overall selection (currently held by FLA) in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?

• Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) Center; 6’ 0.25”, 178 lbs. 2013-14: 57 games, 36-55-91, 118 PIM
    • Aaron Ekblad - Barrie Colts (OHL) Defenseman; 6’ 3.5”, 216 lbs. 2013-14: 58 games, 23-30-53, 91 PIM
    • Sam Reinhart - Kootenay Ice (WHL) Center; 6’ 0.75”, 185 lbs. 2013-14: 60 games, 36-69-105, 11 PIM
    • Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Center; 6’ 1.5”, 204 lbs. 2013-14: 64 games, 38-67-105, 24 PIM
    • Michael Dal Colle - Oshawa Generals (OHL) Left Wing; 6’ 1.5”, 182 lbs. 2013-14: 67 games, 39-56-95, 34 PIM
    • Other

Hasn't McDavid been a total clunker in the playoffs?

To be completely honest I've focused in on this drafts OHL top prospects. My wife would kill me if I stay up to speed in every series haha. Although looking just at his stats he is well over a point a game with 4-15-19 in 13 games.

What could the benefit to the NHL be? Everything I've read about that agreement is that it is in place to protect the quality of game for the business of the CHL. I suppose the NHL could believe that healthy CHL team businesses are better for player development, but that isn't concrete by any means.

Perhaps it makes the draft slightly more predictable. If every player that's 18-19 was pulled into the AHL, it'd be a lot more difficult to judge the remaining 17 year olds. If Reinhart/McDavid/Bennent/etc. are tearing it up playing against guys that are 1-2 years older than them, you know they're something. If they're just playing against other 17 year olds, it's a tougher call.

You can pretty much do anything legally as soon as you hit 18 (excluding financial things). The only difference I can think of from 18-21 is drinking

Most places won't let you rent a car until you're 25.

They produced at the same level this past year generally speaking. Reinhart is very good and I think Bennett is very good. I think Bennett's style of game will transfer better to the NHL and specifically the playoffs more so than Reinhart. That is not saying Reinhart will not be good and I would be thrilled to see him as a Sabre but Bennett has a drive I just don't always see in Reinhart. Bennett has a better shot. Reinhart passes better. It almost is a toss up and I again I'll be happy with either but I prefer Bennett.

Just about nobody who has watched these guys will say that Bennett's game transfers easier to the NHL. If that were the case Bennett would be the consensus number one pick. Bennett's game is risky and his type don't always transfer well to the NHL.

Reinhart's safe and smart game is much easier to transfer to the NHL.

To be completely honest I've focused in on this drafts OHL top prospects. My wife would kill me if I stay up to speed in every series haha. Although looking just at his stats he is well over a point a game with 4-15-19 in 13 games.

Just wondering....I saw his team was down 3-0 and got blown out 2 straight where he was on the ice a bunch. Looks like he was fine before this series.

Just wondering....I saw his team was down 3-0 and got blown out 2 straight where he was on the ice a bunch. Looks like he was fine before this series.

It's never to early to start keeping an eye on him. They did pull off a big win 5-2 last night and he picked up a couple of assists. Man I wish he was in this draft....

Actually I don't wish that because if he were then we would be missing out on him picking second....

Edited by Derrico

I'd like to see an NHL draft where 18 year olds are only eligible in the first round and NHL teams can send 19-year-olds who were first rounders to whatever league they choose.

I think a simple player exception would be fine, because most teams don't have more than one or two guys that it would be better to have in the AHL. Each team could be allowed to have one, maybe two, players that can play in the AHL whenever.

The only player Buffalo will have next year that I think should be able to play in the AHL but can't is Zadorov.

Just about nobody who has watched these guys will say that Bennett's game transfers easier to the NHL. If that were the case Bennett would be the consensus number one pick. Bennett's game is risky and his type don't always transfer well to the NHL.

Okay I disagree.

If an 18 year old is an adult, then why can't he legally purchase alcohol aka an adult beverage?

Because the law says so. :)

So, why isn't Reinhart a consensus #1 pick? Your logic is completely flawed. Even if you argue that the Panthers take Ekblad because they need D more than O then by your logic the consensus #1 OFFENSIVE pick would be Reinhart in which case there would be no discussion since the Sabres would be taking him. But, there is discussion, because there is no consensus #1 pick and therefore you can't use your logic.

The Sabres will get a Sam, of that I am certain. They will benefit one way with one of them and another way with the other. If they have a choice between the two it gets interesting.

But because this is a dream world. I will say that Florida takes Ekblad. The Oilers, wanting a forward like Bennett, will trade the Sabres the #2 for the #3, the Sabres send Myers in the deal and the Oilers send RNH to Buffalo. The Sabres can then take Reinhart at #3.

I love dream worlds.

Because the law says so. :)

So, why isn't Reinhart a consensus #1 pick? Your logic is completely flawed. Even if you argue that the Panthers take Ekblad because they need D more than O then by your logic the consensus #1 OFFENSIVE pick would be Reinhart in which case there would be no discussion since the Sabres would be taking him. But, there is discussion, because there is no consensus #1 pick and therefore you can't use your logic.

The Sabres will get a Sam, of that I am certain. They will benefit one way with one of them and another way with the other. If they have a choice between the two it gets interesting.

But because this is a dream world. I will say that Florida takes Ekblad. The Oilers, wanting a forward like Bennett, will trade the Sabres the #2 for the #3, the Sabres send Myers in the deal and the Oilers send RNH to Buffalo. The Sabres can then take Reinhart at #3.

I love dream worlds.

I don't even know at all where any of this came from. I never said that Reinhart is the consensus number one, and my logic doesn't even insinuate that. My logic is just stating that Bennett is in the mix at the top, but he isn't separated from the rest because his game doesn't always translate to the NHL level. He might be considered to have more potential than others, but his game is more of a question mark. Less safe than Reinhart.

It's a statement about Bennett, not Reinhart. Safe doesn't always mean consensus number one.

Edited by Tankalicious

I don't even know at all where any of this came from. I never said that Reinhart is the consensus number one, and my logic doesn't even insinuate that. My logic is just stating that Bennett is in the mix at the top, but he isn't separated from the rest because his game doesn't always translate to the NHL level. He might be considered to have more potential than others, but his game is more of a question mark. Less safe than Reinhart.

It's a statement about Bennett, not Reinhart. Safe doesn't always mean consensus number one.

Can you explain and provide links for "Just about nobody who has watched these guys will say that Bennett's game transfers easier to the NHL." because that sounds as though scouting sources have offered this up.

Edited by LGR4GM

Can you explain and provide links for "Just about nobody who has watched these guys will say that Bennett's game transfers easier to the NHL." because that sounds as though scouting sources have offered this up.

Page after page of uneducated opinions in this thread... and we'll leave it at that. ;)

The one criticism I have heard about Bennett from the "experts/talking heads" is that Bennett's game as it is right now may not be sustainable for an 82 game NHL regular season. Simply his body wouldn't be able to take the punishment. He'll have to learn to pick his spots, that's something that he'll learn with experience. He's my preference right now for the #1 pick.

The one criticism I have heard about Bennett from the "experts/talking heads" is that Bennett's game as it is right now may not be sustainable for an 82 game NHL regular season. Simply his body wouldn't be able to take the punishment. He'll have to learn to pick his spots, that's something that he'll learn with experience. He's my preference right now for the #1 pick.

Now that I could see. His game would get him banged up and his durability would be tested.

But Seth was higher rated than barkov. Is ekblad much higher rated than Seth jones? Or I guess the question is, is he really higher rated than either sam? Enough that they really feel the need to choose him? I'm just not buying it. I think we want them to choose ekblad but I think he falls to third at the earliest. I hope I am wrong

So my question is this. Why does everyone think fla will take ekblad? Last year Seth jones fell to them with the second pick and they chose barkov.

I'm not confident they will take Ekblad but with both Sams being rated close to evenly, we can just take the other. I'd prefer Reinhart but I think Benett will end up being a very good player.

But Seth was higher rated than barkov. Is ekblad much higher rated than Seth jones? Or I guess the question is, is he really higher rated than either sam? Enough that they really feel the need to choose him? I'm just not buying it. I think we want them to choose ekblad but I think he falls to third at the earliest. I hope I am wrong

He was ranked higher according to CSS and ISS rankings that doesn't mean the actual teams think that. I have argued this now for almost 3 years, if a forward is a 9 and the defender is a 9.5 you take the forward if you are drafting in the top 10. Of course this is a personal draft philosophy and everyone will vary on it.

He was ranked higher according to CSS and ISS rankings that doesn't mean the actual teams think that. I have argued this now for almost 3 years, if a forward is a 9 and the defender is a 9.5 you take the forward if you are drafting in the top 10. Of course this is a personal draft philosophy and everyone will vary on it.

I think this is generally accurate. The development curve for Dmen is longer and more uneven, and GMs are very risk averse. A GM probably doesn't get fired for drafting an eventual 1st line forward over am all star defender. But drafting a 2nd pair Dman over an all star forward? Enjoy being an amateur scout with another organization.

This, +1. Also, look who took Seth Jones, Nashville, a team with a gm who has clearly focused in defense in his drafting. If Nashville didn't take him I wouldn't have been too surprised to see him fall a bit more

This, +1. Also, look who took Seth Jones, Nashville, a team with a gm who has clearly focused in defense in his drafting. If Nashville didn't take him I wouldn't have been too surprised to see him fall a bit more

Consensus means nothing. It's only individual boards that matter.

Last year's draft video clearly showed we targeted Risto. Devine says "thank god" when Nashville picked Jones fourth.

Jones was top two on virtually every pre-draft ranking. Eight was about the highest I ever saw Risto.

So my question is this. Why does everyone think fla will take ekblad? Last year Seth jones fell to them with the second pick and they chose barkov.

Last year I made some charts comparing player size to wins. The three biggest teams were Florida, Winnipeg, and Carolina. To become one of the biggest teams, you must believe that big wins, therefore I believe that Florida will take either Ekblad or Draisaitl. If it was a team that uses a model similar to my model, like Anaheim or Montreal, I would expect them to take Bennett.

As to the Barkov is to Jones as a Sam is to Ekblad, yeah, my confidence is probably unfounded, I now have that feeling where I need to change my mind, feels like a screwdriver in the ear, I love that feeling

In May 2013, Nathan MacKinnon was the #1 player on ISS rankings followed by Jones and Nichushkin.

http://www.hockeysfu...pot-from-jones/

Zadorov was ranked higher than Ristolainen and Samuel Morin was ranked 30th but drafted 11th.

This is a perfect example of why the rankings aren't how the NHL teams set up their boards but are just a nice guideline more than actual rules.

http://youtu.be/6GMkuPiIZ2k

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.