2014 Buffalo Sabres First Selection Discussion

IKnowPhysics

Who will be the Buffalo Sabres first selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Buffalo Sabres first selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?

• Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) Center; 6’ 0.25”, 178 lbs. 2013-14: 57 games, 36-55-91, 118 PIM
    • Aaron Ekblad - Barrie Colts (OHL) Defenseman; 6’ 3.5”, 216 lbs. 2013-14: 58 games, 23-30-53, 91 PIM
    • Sam Reinhart - Kootenay Ice (WHL) Center; 6’ 0.75”, 185 lbs. 2013-14: 60 games, 36-69-105, 11 PIM
    • Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Center; 6’ 1.5”, 204 lbs. 2013-14: 64 games, 38-67-105, 24 PIM
    • Michael Dal Colle - Oshawa Generals (OHL) Left Wing; 6’ 1.5”, 182 lbs. 2013-14: 67 games, 39-56-95, 34 PIM
    • Other
  2. 2. Bonus question: Who will be the first overall selection (currently held by FLA) in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft?

• Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) Center; 6’ 0.25”, 178 lbs. 2013-14: 57 games, 36-55-91, 118 PIM
    • Aaron Ekblad - Barrie Colts (OHL) Defenseman; 6’ 3.5”, 216 lbs. 2013-14: 58 games, 23-30-53, 91 PIM
    • Sam Reinhart - Kootenay Ice (WHL) Center; 6’ 0.75”, 185 lbs. 2013-14: 60 games, 36-69-105, 11 PIM
    • Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Center; 6’ 1.5”, 204 lbs. 2013-14: 64 games, 38-67-105, 24 PIM
    • Michael Dal Colle - Oshawa Generals (OHL) Left Wing; 6’ 1.5”, 182 lbs. 2013-14: 67 games, 39-56-95, 34 PIM
    • Other

I'm not one to start a redundant thread, but this is a pretty hefty topic that I'd like to hear discussed, one that can be extracted from the draft thread. And there's a poll! Plus we can dump news, highlights, and info about these top choices into here.

If you've made an argument here or there already, feel free to quote/copy it into this thread.

Here's the SabresProspects.com (Kris Baker) breakdown ("The Fab Five," 4/16): http://sabres.nhl.co...s.htm?id=715160

The ISS Top 30: http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/

The CSS Final Rankings: http://www.nhl.com/i...spectbrowse.htm

Bob McKenzie / TSN Rankings (4/15): http://www.tsn.ca/dr...ture/?id=117185

edit: Added bonus question.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I went with Bennett and Ekblad. The first one is definitely a toss up, but I feel like Ekblad will dominate that second poll

That's about where I am too, but I'd definitely like to hear some opinions on the pros and cons between the two Sams for Buffalo, and maybe some speculation about why FLA chooses the way they do.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

That's about where I am too, but I'd definitely like to hear some opinions on the pros and cons between the two Sams for Buffalo, and maybe some speculation about why FLA chooses the way they do.

I know Tank will probably disagree with this, but I want Bennett. He skates very, very well. He has a great shot and great competitiveness too. He may not be as hockey intelligent as Reinhart, but he's not an idiot either.

I know Tank will probably disagree with this, but I want Bennett. He skates very, very well. He has a great shot and great competitiveness too. He may not be as hockey intelligent as Reinhart, but he's not an idiot either.

Mhm. :flirt:

I have no trouble separating Reinhart and the other forwards. I don't even think it's that close. Reinhart is the clear number one for me. I have trouble separating Bennett and Dal Colle. I honestly don't know much about Draisaitl. At least not enough to say if he compares well to Bennett/Dal Colle.

A poll of OHL Coaches voted him as having the best hockey smarts in the league.

I am torn between the two Sams right now. Reinhart appears a steady reliable playmaker and the safer choice. Bennett could possibly have a higher ceiling though. Right now I would give Reinhart an edge.

Either way I trust Tim Murray to make the right choice.

In terms of Ekblad the Panther need a top D Man on their team. Drafting one is their best bet.

Edited by BRAWNDO

I would like to get Bennett, so of course i picked the Panthers to draft him. Picking a defender so high is just too risky…I think they pass on Ekblad and take bennett who could play wing for them. You only get so many pick in the top 3 (Unless you're edmonton). You need more forwards than defenders, and elite forwards are usually found in the top tier in the draft. I don't think you pass up the opportunity, though I do hope i am wrong and they take Ekblad. If they don't take him, I see us either trying to trade with edmonton or calgary so they can draft him, or taking him ourselves. If we trade with edmonton i think we pick reinhart.

These guys F'n kill me......

With 85% confidence, their top 5 right now are:

Bennett

Ekblad

Draisaitl

Reinhart

Dal Colle

I have 5 names who it looks like they may target in the late 1st to their 3rd round pick. Makes no sense to be a smokescreen as there are 60 other players in the same ballpark and you don't throw the mig off with 8% misdirection.

Help us Jesus.....

Personally i'd love Bennet, if he is a Doug gilmour type, then he'll make an excellent left wing addition for Grigorenko.

Or if Grigorenko does bust, he will be an excellent 2C.

If we are gunning for Mcdavid, then he is the one i want.

If ekblad is there at #2 , because Bennet is gone and i believe him to be Murrays #1 prospect, i can see him taking Ekblad.

This is sophies choice. Bennett is tr better two way player, quicker, plays with an edge and compares himself to Toews (my hockey crush). Reinhart has the better hockey IQ, which might be better in the long run. He is also solid defensively, if not as good as Bennett (who was ranked 3rd best defensive forward in tr O).

I chose Reinhart, but would honestly be happy with either. Part of me hopes Florida make the choice for us

Personally i'd love Bennet, if he is a Doug gilmour type, then he'll make an excellent left wing addition for Grigorenko.

Or if Grigorenko does bust, he will be an excellent 2C.

If we are gunning for Mcdavid, then he is the one i want.

If ekblad is there at #2 , because Bennet is gone and i believe him to be Murrays #1 prospect, i can see him taking Ekblad.

Of the top 5, Murray spoke with least enthusiasm about Ekblad. Plus we were the lowest scoring team in 70 years. And our forward prospects are almost non existent. I am willing to bet we don't take Ekblad if he is available.

These guys F'n kill me......

With 85% confidence, their top 5 right now are:

Bennett

Ekblad

Draisaitl

Reinhart

Dal Colle

I have 5 names who it looks like they may target in the late 1st to their 3rd round pick. Makes no sense to be a smokescreen as there are 60 other players in the same ballpark and you don't throw the mig off with 8% misdirection.

Help us Jesus.....

More Sabre obviousness on Twitter for the second group?

How are you extrapolating the top five order?

More Sabre obviousness on Twitter for the second group?

How are you extrapolating the top five order?

Correct.

The top 5 was just the order that they were followed....which doesn't need to mean that is how they are ranked.....however another half dozen are followed in order of central scouting rankings 18, 22, 34, 52, 77, 91 (not actual rankings!)....which leads me to believe they just went down their draft board looking for schlubs they like on twitter. It also makes sense that you would follow the first guy on your mind first, and so on. The list of other prospects was so scattered that I have to believe they are interested in them and it isn't just for informational purposes as there are probably 50 others ranked in the top 100 that aren't being followed. They also cross leagues, so you can't say it is a territorial ranking. There are other names out there as well, but the guys follow enough guys that you can't know how much interest there really is. The only thing that is a tipoff is if they were followed last year....I would assume they are on the radar. Also, when you see a guy ranked 200 getting followed, you have to think he is a late target if the scout has any say.

That's the good thing about the Old Boys Network.....while they may not love analytics and be up to date on the "amazing" technology....they also don't tip the hand of a $200 million business on a regular basis! Although a few of them are out there.

Given the Sabres history of lax activity on there from almost the entire top executive staff and/or their families...I am assuming they don't use it as a strategic tool to gather intelligence on other teams. We aren't talking Chloe on 24 types of maneuvers here.....I hate technology and own a flip phone.....

Correct.

The top 5 was just the order that they were followed....which doesn't need to mean that is how they are ranked.....however another half dozen are followed in order of central scouting rankings 18, 22, 34, 52, 77, 91 (not actual rankings!)....which leads me to believe they just went down their draft board looking for schlubs they like on twitter. It also makes sense that you would follow the first guy on your mind first, and so on. The list of other prospects was so scattered that I have to believe they are interested in them and it isn't just for informational purposes as there are probably 50 others ranked in the top 100 that aren't being followed. They also cross leagues, so you can't say it is a territorial ranking. There are other names out there as well, but the guys follow enough guys that you can't know how much interest there really is. The only thing that is a tipoff is if they were followed last year....I would assume they are on the radar. Also, when you see a guy ranked 200 getting followed, you have to think he is a late target if the scout has any say.

That's the good thing about the Old Boys Network.....while they may not love analytics and be up to date on the "amazing" technology....they also don't tip the hand of a $200 million business on a regular basis! Although a few of them are out there.

Given the Sabres history of lax activity on there from almost the entire top executive staff and/or their families...I am assuming they don't use it as a strategic tool to gather intelligence on other teams. We aren't talking Chloe on 24 types of maneuvers here.....I hate technology and own a flip phone.....

They also just may have been following the top five right off the central scouting order because I'm pretty sure that was the mid-season order from central.

What names did they have in the late-first to third group?

They also just may have been following the top five right off the central scouting order because I'm pretty sure that was the mid-season order from central.

What names did they have in the late-first to third group?

No...at no point was that the top 5 order.....

I'm not going to say who the other guys are until during the draft. If Darcy was still GM and Ted Black was still saying how simple and negative the fans are....I'd be chirping like a canary! I just can't believe that they don't have a plan for organizational security. Ted made 1 drunken tweet one night which I responded to and he pulled it 5 minutes later. I'm sure HE is more careful now and maybe a few within direct earshot, but you can't help but expose yourself on there even under an alias. At least some of them use aliases, but you can tell by following/followers.

The top 5 are the top 5....everyone has a different taste anyway and if Buffalo stays at 2, it doesn't matter. It's the other names that these guys have out there that can bite them in the butt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.