If you were the Islanders

bob_sauve28

I don't want to see winning forced, but watching losing being forced hurts my brain.

I don't think they'll have apply too much force to lose. They'll make trades for young guys with long-term potential, not for guys who are peaking now. Putting together the roster with the best that they have and a few others sprinkled in will lose just fine.

Maybe its wishfull thinking, but anyways we really can't lose, but Islanders need defense more than the oilers even.

Islanders need experienced defensemen, but not necessarily defensive prospects. Their prospect pool is pretty thick with talent on the back end (Pulock, Pokka, and Reinhart to name a few). With Strome and Nelson graduating to the big leagues, the cupboard is pretty empty with forwards. I see them going forward if they keep the pick, unless Ekblad suddenly falls in their lap of course.

Nope. Just thought I'd note it.

Since I'm assuming that it'll be a tough decision it probably wouldn't take a whole lot. Maybe something like a swap of picks in the 2nd round and a prospect like Larsson.

Another question for those who want to defer:

If NY says they won't defer unless we swap picks this year, would you do it? (So we would get their 2015 first in the deferral if we give NY 1/2 for 5/6)

No! Why the hell would you trade them for a pick you already traded them for? Completely illogical we already own their 2014 pick unless they defer, why would we trade for it again just to ensure they don't defer? This line of thinking is short sighted and beyond foolish.

I would swap 2nds + Larsson to get the #5 pick this year,.

I wouldn't do your proposal though. As mentioned, that's swapping a Sam for a Dal Colle.

Why we already traded for the pick!

I'm hoping this weighs heavily.

Then again, I'm in the minority hoping we get two in the top 5 this year and move on to trying to ice a winning team next season.

I am with you here but trading more stuff to ensure we get a pick that is technically already ours does not make sense to me. I hope they give us their %5 pick and I hope we draft Michael Dal Colle.

No! Why the hell would you trade them for a pick you already traded them for? Completely illogical we already own their 2014 pick unless they defer, why would we trade for it again just to ensure they don't defer? This line of thinking is short sighted and beyond foolish.

I was going to just say "relax, I wouldn't do it either." But then I read your last line, and decided I'd say "piss off" instead.

Edited by Tankalicious

Problem is that nobody in this year's draft is truly a "high-end forward prospect." They're 1-5 this year because it's a weak draft class, but would 5-10 or worse in next year's class.

I have a very hard time seeing them become playoff competitive next year (and you seem to agree.) Even if they trade away some of their higher-end prospects, they're down to the studs (the wood kind, not the elite player kind) right now, so it's unlikely to have enough effect next season. IMO, waiting to start that process will have little to no effect on their competitiveness in two seasons other than possibly hurting what they could add in next year's draft, so why try and force it next year?

The bolded just isn't true. You think it is because of the 2015 draft with Eichel and McDavid two potentially perennial all stars versus Reinhart/Bennett who are more of a risk. That doesn't mean they aren't high end forward prospects and I am honestly sick of hearing people try and pawn that off on this board.

As to your second point, this team was a joke this year. Their prospects (Pysyk, Zemgus, Risto, Grigs, Zadorov, Compher, Fasching, Desluriers, Ennis, Hodgson, etc...) all need to show improvement next year at whatever level they play. We need forward progress and being a flaming pile of garbage again so we have a 25% chance at McDavid is dumb. We need to see improvement or we have much larger problems.

Islanders need experienced defensemen, but not necessarily defensive prospects. Their prospect pool is pretty thick with talent on the back end (Pulock, Pokka, and Reinhart to name a few). With Strome and Nelson graduating to the big leagues, the cupboard is pretty empty with forwards. I see them going forward if they keep the pick, unless Ekblad suddenly falls in their lap of course.

I completely agree. If I were NYI and was defering, I take the best forward available unless Ekblad falls to 5/6.

I was going to just say "relax, I wouldn't do it either." But then I read your last line, and decided I'd say "piss off" instead.

Sorry it is completely illogical to trade for a pick you have already traded for.

Edited by LGR4GM

Man oh man what do you do if you're the Islanders. Ive been hoping they just give us their top 5 pick this year, as we will get a solid player and a year earlier. But now that I am thinking about it, I will regret it so much and Ill have a pit in my stomach next year if the Isles suck and/or win the lottery and get McDavid or Eichel wondering what could've been. This situation has to be 1000x worse for Isles fans/management. There will be so much pressure on them next year to win its not even funny. I think I've changed my opinion. i hope they give us the pick next year. It will give me something to watch and look forward to, and even if we don't get a top pick or even top five, we are still getting a 1st round pick and a great prospect in next years draft. For a chance at mcdavid or any of the top prospects, even if it is small, i will gladly take it.

Man oh man what do you do if you're the Islanders. Ive been hoping they just give us their top 5 pick this year, as we will get a solid player and a year earlier. But now that I am thinking about it, I will regret it so much and Ill have a pit in my stomach next year if the Isles suck and/or win the lottery and get McDavid or Eichel wondering what could've been. This situation has to be 1000x worse for Isles fans/management. There will be so much pressure on them next year to win its not even funny. I think I've changed my opinion. i hope they give us the pick next year. It will give me something to watch and look forward to, and even if we don't get a top pick or even top five, we are still getting a 1st round pick and a great prospect in next years draft. For a chance at mcdavid or any of the top prospects, even if it is small, i will gladly take it.

I am "rooting" they give us next year's pick for similar reasons. I will be that much more motivated to wish ill of the Islanders, and if they do go in the tank, I can enjoy some Sabre wins without as much internal conflict.

Well, you'd do it to get a known return instead of an unknown, which is what you need to have to plan, nothing shortsighted about it at all. I think it would be pretty damned foolish to not see where that might have value. whether it has value to *you* wasn't really what the comment was about.

I don't think they'll have apply too much force to lose. They'll make trades for young guys with long-term potential, not for guys who are peaking now. Putting together the roster with the best that they have and a few others sprinkled in will lose just fine.

This year was forced losing. I don't want to see a replay. If it comes naturally given what was already done..... I accept that.

Edited by weave

@StapeNewsday

Islanders will select fifth in draft, but GM Garth Snow mulls sending pick to Sabres http://bit.ly/1l5zC0u

Indications are that the Islanders will hold onto this year's pick to either select one of the five top prospects who are fairly equally rated, or trade the pick to acquire a more NHL-ready player.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

So if you're the Islanders, your choice comes down to getting Micheal Dal Colle (probably) or giving up on McDavid (and really anything in the 1st round for the deepest draft in years).

If I'm them, I still keep the pick. Dal Colle is a great prospect. Also, flipping that pick for an NHL player would get them value and probably make next year's pick (which would be ours) less valuable.

It sucks being in a position where your best hope is that your competition does the dumbest thing possible.

So if you're the Islanders, your choice comes down to getting Micheal Dal Colle (probably) or giving up on McDavid (and really anything in the 1st round for the deepest draft in years).

If I'm them, I still keep the pick. Dal Colle is a great prospect. Also, flipping that pick for an NHL player would get them value and probably make next year's pick (which would be ours) less valuable.

It sucks being in a position where your best hope is that your competition does the dumbest thing possible.

I kind of like the idea that i will have another huge interest in watching a team next year…ill probably be rooting for them to lose more than I'm rooting for the sabres to win…in fact, ill probably be rooting for both teams to lose! :w00t: I also think it would be awesome if the sabres and the isles were the two worst teams in the league next year. Not only would it guarantee us one of mcdavid/eichel, and give u a 50/50 shot at both, but i think it would be hilarious to watch the lottery on tv and possibly have it come down to the top 2, which would both be the sabres haha. So, we have the sabres and the sabres, who's it gonna be folks?

it would be awesome if the sabres and the isles were the two worst teams in the league next year. Not only would it guarantee us one of mcdavid/eichel, and give u a 50/50 shot at both

My ###### just got a ######.

edit: haaaa. Play madlibs with that one. Hint: They're the same word.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I think the Isles staying at five should cement them keeping the pick. Top five seem like surefire NHLers.

Bird in the hand and all that...

And if I'm Murray, I'm very happy if they make that choice.

Sabres and Islanders are my picks for the bottom two teams next year.

My guess is that we end up somewhere around 27th next season and New York ends up like 24th.

That'd allow us to get something like Matthew Barzal and Dylan Strome.

Edited by Tankalicious

If you get St. Louis' 1st rounder....offer it to NY to give up the #5 and keep their pick next year. Screw this lottery stuff. At this time last year everyone was saying Reinhart was the can't miss #1...now he's being talked about 4 or 5 from some. Even if NY and Buf finish 29, 30....there is still less than a 50% chance you get McDavid. I would rather get 2, top 5 forwards this year...let them simmer in juniors a year....then you call the whole gang up in '15-'16 and make a splash in free agency during the summer. If you get one of the top 2 with your pick next year, fine. That shouldn't be the goal.

If you get St. Louis' 1st rounder....offer it to NY to give up the #5 and keep their pick next year. Screw this lottery stuff. At this time last year everyone was saying Reinhart was the can't miss #1...now he's being talked about 4 or 5 from some. Even if NY and Buf finish 29, 30....there is still less than a 50% chance you get McDavid. I would rather get 2, top 5 forwards this year...let them simmer in juniors a year....then you call the whole gang up in '15-'16 and make a splash in free agency during the summer. If you get one of the top 2 with your pick next year, fine. That shouldn't be the goal.

No. No. No. No.

Well the pick does nothing to help the Isle next year unless they trade the pick for a player or ready prospect. I think Garth being Garth, he gives it to us.