Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

I play D. Its always the goalies fault!! I mean, I took away the passing lane and gave you a clear line of sight to the shooter. How do you not save that!!??

This could go in the tings that are awesome thread too but I'll put it here. CCM is bringing back the Tacks! I will have these skates next season.

http://www.hockeywor...m-tacks-skates/

Any shot a goalie can see leave a shooter's stick (with no deflection) is a shot they should stop. But no goalie is 6x4. Something is going to be open. If a shooter can hit that spot they earned their goal.

I love D-men who try to bat shots with their sticks only to deflect the puck into my goal. Or the ones who screen me because they are trying to block the shot but step out of the way right before the puck hits them.

PTR

Any shot a goalie can see leave a shooter's stick (with no deflection) is a shot they should stop. But no goalie is 6x4. Something is going to be open. If a shooter can hit that spot they earned their goal.

I love D-men who try to bat shots with their sticks only to deflect the puck into my goal. Or the ones who screen me because they are trying to block the shot but step out of the way right before the puck hits them.

PTR

I'm like a combination of Bobby Orr and Ray Bourque, so basically I'm not like that at all lol.

I hate hate hate when goalies don't talk to me on the ice. I need to know where you want me to go. I'm not the guy who can't see this puck, so tell me where to be and I will get there.

I'm like a combination of Bobby Orr and Ray Bourque, so basically I'm not like that at all lol.

I hate hate hate when goalies don't talk to me on the ice. I need to know where you want me to go. I'm not the guy who can't see this puck, so tell me where to be and I will get there.

Oh I yap at my D all game. Warning then who is closing, telling which lane is open, etc. my guys are great at picking up rebounds or getting a stick behind my five hole.

PTR

Oh I yap at my D all game. Warning then who is closing, telling which lane is open, etc. my guys are great at picking up rebounds or getting a stick behind my five hole.

We went 9-3-2. Playoffs start Wed against the team that beat us twice in the regular season. Big test.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

We went 9-3-2. Playoffs start Wed against the team that beat us twice in the regular season. Big test.

PTR

My team went 11-1 last session. 3-0 in the playoffs beating the only team to beat us during the season to win our championship game. It was awesome.

Promo you play in travel tournaments right?

My team went 11-1 last session. 3-0 in the playoffs beating the only team to beat us during the season to win our championship game. It was awesome.

Not anymore. We used to go up to Montreal but not for a while. NEVER get your skates sharpened at a Montreal rink,especially if you are playing a local team. The poutine-eating dicknose pro shop dude put a burr in the middle of my blades.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Not anymore. We used to go up to Montreal but not for a while. NEVER get your skates sharpened at a Montreal rink,especially if you are playing a local team. The poutine-eating dicknose pro shop dude put a burr in the middle of my blades.

PTR

Haha! Thanks for the tip! My league's Can/Am team plays in the 30+ division, so I can't play until the middle of next year. But I'm looking forward to it.

Just dreamin' here, cuz I don't think I'm ready to play hockey in any sense of the word, unless it's some kind of true beginners league with a healthy dose of instruction thrown in.

But what are we talking in terms of equipment? Is used OK at first? A friend of mine who has played hockey for many years says buy new, and it sounds like everything would be somewhat north of $500.

Pants (advised to get the girdle/shell), shin pads, shoulder pads, elbow pads, gloves, socks, helmet, stick. Missing anything?

I'll tell you what - if you PM me your general height and weight, hat size, etc... I have 2 bags of equipment here at the house that was meant for Wounded Warriors, but I procrastinated and since then they landed big name sponsors and are now flush with cash and equipment.

I won't get anything reasonable at Play it Again Sports. I have most everything in there, but depending on your size it may be too small.

All you need to do is pay shipping. I estimated about $500 worth of equipment (that's what I was going to claim on my donation).

I also have a beer-league hockey book that answers most every question a new play would have. I bought it when I started.

I'll tell you what - if you PM me your general height and weight, hat size, etc... I have 2 bags of equipment here at the house that was meant for Wounded Warriors, but I procrastinated and since then they landed big name sponsors and are now flush with cash and equipment.

I won't get anything reasonable at Play it Again Sports. I have most everything in there, but depending on your size it may be too small.

All you need to do is pay shipping. I estimated about $500 worth of equipment (that's what I was going to claim on my donation).

I also have a beer-league hockey book that answers most every question a new play would have. I bought it when I started.

Wow, Scott, thanks. That's a very generous offer. Let me think about it. Since it might be a while before I play and might want to buy new stuff when the time comes, I wouldn't want to take all that equipment and then have it sit. In the meantime, if you can find another worthy place to donate to, please do so. Really, thanks.

So we played last night and lost 2-1. The same team that beat us two other times. No idea how many shots I saw but it had to be a lot. Our guys just wore out by the third and they got their goals late in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

PTR

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bit of breakthrough today with one footed snow plow stops. I got off the inside edge and felt like I was more on top of the blade, and it started to click. I approached my "stop spot" with very modest speed, turned the skate and got some good feedback — felt my blade sliding on the ice, heard the ice scraping, saw a little snow fly at the end — and actually stopped pretty quickly. Modest step toward a hockey stop.

I'm also making some headway on crossovers.

In other news, my right kneecap is starting to kill me. I'm not sure I can maintain the exaggerated knee bend some of the instructional videos recommend. I know it helps a lot with stride length and the low center of gravity is great for balance. But, pain is pain.

Had a bit of breakthrough today with one footed snow plow stops. I got off the inside edge and felt like I was more on top of the blade, and it started to click. I approached my "stop spot" with very modest speed, turned the skate and got some good feedback — felt my blade sliding on the ice, heard the ice scraping, saw a little snow fly at the end — and actually stopped pretty quickly. Modest step toward a hockey stop.

In other news, my right kneecap is starting to kill me. I'm not sure I can maintain the exaggerated knee bend some of the instructional videos recommend. I know it helps a lot with stride length and the low center of gravity is great for balance. But, pain is pain.

You probably have patellar tendinitis. I've had it ever since my knee injury a few years ago. It comes and goes but I find my knee hurts more when I'm casually skating rather than playing hockey. Being on my feet at work every day is like therapy for it. Maybe do more walking?

single most undervalued skating skill in hockey. learn to do good strong crossovers and you will keep up with the play even if your a slower skater

As antiquated as it might be, watch this video ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGUaVGu7drs

And don't look down at your feet ... good hockey posture and look up.

I think Lindy attended that school. It's where he learned to high stick his players during practice.

Seriously, thanks for the link.

Also learn to lower your center of gravity by keeping your knees bent. Play lower.

PTR

Dear God.. is that what I sound like every practice when talking to my son? :)

If I had a dollar for every time I say "Bend your knees"...

Even skating coaches tell adult skaters that all of the time. There's so much advantage to a deep knee bend, from stability to stride length and power, it's so crucial.

This.

The best skater in the game stay very low. Of course it's hard to do and your legs burn like H_ll

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.