Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

You dont do that....... you start off like three feet from the boards. Take a short stride and try...... How could you read what I put and think of it as skating full speed at the boards?

I don't think I was directing that at you. I'm not sure who it was directed at — I've gotten a lot of advice.

This is wayy off topic, but this is the only how-to thread we have at the moment. For the players: how do you win a faceoff using your glove, ie in the manner that is now illegal in the NHL? I've looked for videos of that type of faceoff win, but I can't find any. Specifically, I know you draw the puck back with your glove, but I want to know what the body positioning is and what the stick tie-up looks like such that you can actually get a free hand on it.

I think it'd be funny to use it in beer league on D zone draws.

You that guy with those danglies hangin' on the tow hitch?

Haha, Homie don't play that!

This is wayy off topic, but this is the only how-to thread we have at the moment. For the players: how do you win a faceoff using your glove, ie in the manner that is now illegal in the NHL? I've looked for videos of that type of faceoff win, but I can't find any. Specifically, I know you draw the puck back with your glove, but I want to know what the body positioning is and what the stick tie-up looks like such that you can actually get a free hand on it.

I think it'd be funny to use it in beer league on D zone draws.

You right handed or left handed shot?

Either way, I'd go reverse wide grip on the stick, wide feet, get low and box out hard with your shoulders and hips. That way you should have his stick tied up and you'll be free to do whatever. I prefer to kick it because I'm a fan of not having broken fingers lol.

Right handed shot.

I know how to do the box-out kick/tie-up by turning into the circle, but I feel like that wasn't the new and improved glove cheater's method. I seem to remember they dropped both shoulders straight in, tied up the stick somehow, then gloved it through their legs. Or something. I definitely want to get that stick tied up, for the reason you mentioned.

Right handed shot.

I know how to do the box-out kick/tie-up by turning into the circle, but I feel like that wasn't the new and improved glove cheater's method. I seem to remember they dropped both shoulders straight in, tied up the stick somehow, then gloved it through their legs. Or something. I definitely want to get that stick tied up, for the reason you mentioned.

I seem to remember Ott dropping to his knees when he used to do it.

Not sure on the glove thing...

I usually just switch hands when the goalie is on my backhand side. Sometimes I will go forehand but I find it more amusing when you normally line up right handed and then line up as a lefty. The guy looks confused because you've been righty all game.

If their player is a lefty then usually they will pull in his backhand defenseman to take the quick shot. So what I try to do then is set my right-wing out wider than normal and try and backhand the puck towards the open point. It often works because that's the direction the other player is going anyway so if I beat him to the puck he usually just helps me hit it harder and if he beats me I usually keep him from being able to complete the pull back to his defender. Either way my RW shoots to the open spot on the ice and generally ends up with a solid breakaway (assuming the left D doesn't jump immediately and doesn't have good speed).

I generally only go forward in the neutral zone, especially the center dot. If I'm in my own end, I want to get that puck in my possession at all costs. Even if we're going to gun it long, I'd rather send the far-side wing long along the far boards and send it around behind the boards or skate it behind the net and make the direct pass. Maybe I'm a little more conservative, or maybe you've got pretty good confidence that your wing's going to win that puck.

I generally only go forward in the neutral zone, especially the center dot. If I'm in my own end, I want to get that puck in my possession at all costs. Even if we're going to gun it long, I'd rather send the far-side wing long along the far boards and send it around behind the boards or skate it behind the net and make the direct pass. Maybe I'm a little more conservative, or maybe you've got pretty good confidence that your wing's going to win that puck.

The puck is going back to my defense every time. I don't care what zone I'm in :bag:

Normally I'm winning it back. Only time we do this is when they have a left handed draw and they pull the D from that side in towards the circle. So it opens up the entire right side of the rink. We're pretty much guaranteed at that point that no one would be able to get to the puck before the RW.

Naturally there are times it doesn't work but if the puck does go to that D on their side I'm already on my way there to interrupt the shot. Usually I just take the face-off left handed and win it into the corner. The nice thing about the level I play in is that very few guys are good at faceoffs. On the rare chance they are I just tie up their stick and let a winger win the puck.

The puck is going back to my defense every time. I don't care what zone I'm in :bag:

I don't go forward very often, but it's tempting to do so in the neutral zone when the opponent seems slow, not very agile, or un-expecting and they're the opposite stick hand of you. That way you can just tap that puck forward three feet, step around the non-stick side of the center, and have the puck right on your blade.

On the rare chance they are I just tie up their stick and let a winger win the puck.

Tried and true, if your wings aren't lazy :D

I'm not going to read every post in this thread so forgive me if I'm redundant. I've played "beer league" hockey for almost 30 years now. I've seen "noobs" join teams. Some improve dramatically, others never do. The one thing I've observed is that you have to get to the point where you aren't thinking about your skating. Skating pretty doesn't make you more effective. I've seen guys who look like they are on the verge of going down with every stride still make great plays. It's all about desire and effort. Pickup games are fine but there is nothing like playing in a competitive league. Also have you considered playing goal?

PTR

I'm not going to read every post in this thread so forgive me if I'm redundant. I've played "beer league" hockey for almost 30 years now. I've seen "noobs" join teams. Some improve dramatically, others never do. The one thing I've observed is that you have to get to the point where you aren't thinking about your skating. Skating pretty doesn't make you more effective. I've seen guys who look like they are on the verge of going down with every stride still make great plays. It's all about desire and effort. Pickup games are fine but there is nothing like playing in a competitive league. Also have you considered playing goal?

PTR

This is a good point. I skated for many years before I played hockey. I was always shaky hockey stopping left and crossing over while turning right. After a week or two playing in pads, I could do both of these things pretty easily. I think it's the combination of being able to skate without fear of injury and hockey being the primary objective, with skating having to become second nature.

PTR

Yes.

I also can't overstress how important proper fitting skates are to being the best skater and improving. I've seen noobs in beer leagues with cheapo skates with no support left, or too big. I've even seen a guy who wore ankle braces inside his skates!!!

A noob needs to build up some ankle strength but also needs support in the right places. So it's very important to get fitted by someone who knows what they are doing, not a freshman in high school working at great skate pushing a brand.

It's a lot worse here in the South where noobs have no chance really.

Yes.

I also can't overstress how important proper fitting skates are to being the best skater and improving. I've seen noobs in beer leagues with cheapo skates with no support left, or too big. I've even seen a guy who wore ankle braces inside his skates!!!

A noob needs to build up some ankle strength but also needs support in the right places. So it's very important to get fitted by someone who knows what they are doing, not a freshman in high school working at great skate pushing a brand.

It's a lot worse here in the South where noobs have no chance really.

Not sure what you are even referring to on support. Boots are so hard these days, there is nothing BUT support in them. Unless you are wearing skates from 1975.

Not sure what you are even referring to on support. Boots are so hard these days, there is nothing BUT support in them. Unless you are wearing skates from 1975.

I can see where he's going with this. He's referring to cheap used skates that are beat up or were fitted for someone else with little support.

Not sure if I chimed in on this thread yet referring to the OP, but good fit is CRUCIAL. When I worked in the shop, that was one of the first things I learned how to do- fitting people properly for skates. Years later, I still fit a lot of my friends for skates, because no one wants to trust Zitty McFitwrong.

EDIT: In fairness, I was pleasantly surprised by the guys at Hockey Giant. While I fit my buddy, I was keeping an eye on how they were fitting folks, and they seemed to get it.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I can see where he's going with this. He's referring to cheap used skates that are beat up or were fitted for someone else with little support.

Not sure if I chimed in on this thread yet referring to the OP, but good fit is CRUCIAL. When I worked in the shop, that was one of the first things I learned how to do- fitting people properly for skates. Years later, I still fit a lot of my friends for skates, because no one wants to trust Zitty McFitwrong.

Yea that's what I mean. Some aren't so hard or are so worn inside theres no cushion support inside. Ankles still cave in etc.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.