Why is Pysyk in Rochester?

Cage

Nolan wants the young guys to learn how to win. It's not a bad idea, even if it didn't work last time (Pommer, Roy, Miller, Gaustad, et al. were kept down to "learn how to win" in 2003-04).

By "it didn't work last time," do you mean because they didn't win a Calder Cup or Stanley Cup? I didn't really follow the Amerks closely back then (no twitter :P ), and did not really know who a lot of those players were until they emerged in the NHL. Looking at wikipedia, it seems as though the they had a decent season in 03-04 and a deep playoff run, followed by a 51-win season during the NHL lockout. Granted they did not achieve the ultimate goal of winning a championship, but they had some success + playoff experience, and they all wound up being key contributers on what could have easily been a Stanley Cup team in 05/06 or 06/07. I don't think you were disagreeing, but I would be satisfied if it yielded similar results.

I think it is a good idea. It is important for the young guys to play in meaningful, high stakes games. It's certainly a better atmosphere in the room than playing garbage time games for the 30th place team in the NHL. A deep playoff run together could go a long ways towards creating a good environment and chemistry. I imagine Girgensons could probably join Rochester for their playoff run at season's end, no?

Edited by thesportsbuff

By "it didn't work last time," do you mean because they didn't win a Calder Cup or Stanley Cup? I didn't really follow the Amerks closely back then (no twitter :P ), and did not really know who a lot of those players were until they emerged in the NHL. Looking at wikipedia, it seems as though the they had a decent season in 03-04 and a deep playoff run, followed by a 51-win season during the NHL lockout. Granted they did not achieve the ultimate goal of winning a championship, but they had some success + playoff experience, and they all wound up being key contributers on what could have easily been a Stanley Cup team in 05/06 or 06/07. I don't think you were disagreeing, but I would be satisfied if it yielded similar results.

I think it is a good idea. It is important for the young guys to play in meaningful, high stakes games. It's certainly a better atmosphere in the room than playing garbage time games for the 30th place team in the NHL. A deep playoff run together could go a long ways towards creating a good environment and chemistry. I imagine Girgensons could probably join Rochester for their playoff run at season's end, no?

All I mean is that group of players didn't succeed when it came time for them to take over in Buffalo. As I said, it doesn't mean that this is a bad idea; I think it's a good one.

Edited by Eleven

I agree. There are multiple factor at play.

Pysyk CAN be in the AHL so send him there.

Let him lead a team (like he is doing) - in fact dominating from what I read.

Let him experience playoffs.

Keep the UFA and other short term guys up in Sabres uniforms, let them showcase themselves for whatever its worth.

It's a good move. They were doing the same with McNabb.

Everybody already has it covered. I think he'll probably be in Buffalo full-time next year. They'll probably try to keep some of the prospects down for the year, but some of them can gain a year of NHL experience. One year of losing isn't a terrible thing, and I think they'll be pushing hard in the 2015 offseason to build a winner.

The 2015 offseason will be HUGE for this organization. Obviously there's the draft with McDavid/Eichel/Hanifin/etc...

Then the free agents (obviously some of these guys aren't going anywhere and aren't going to come here...):

Spezza, Toews, Patrick Kane (I think the possibility of him coming here are higher than some think, but still not very high), Mike Green, David Krejci, Bobby Ryan, Fleury, Dubinsky, Schneider, Marc Staal, Niemi, MacArthur, Nick Foligno, Ben Bishop...

Edited by Tankalicious

It was said somewhere really recent (maybe even yesterday) from the D@C that the Sabres want Pysyk to learn more how to score. And that best place for that is in Rochester. So i think that's the big thing. The other thing is, Nolan said it around Christmas, losing is contagious and they need to be careful that they don't push guys into bad situations, which will effect their long term growth because of losing.

Pysyk is gonna really give Girgensons a fight for his money (and whom ever else) to become a Captain of the Sabres, as LTS said, and being in Rochester gives him an opportunity to lead the team and be in every situation. I think they view Pysyk as a Duncan Keith type player, and he spend roughly 150 games in the AHL prior to going to Chicago.

It was said somewhere really recent (maybe even yesterday) from the D@C that the Sabres want Pysyk to learn more how to score. And that best place for that is in Rochester. So i think that's the big thing. The other thing is, Nolan said it around Christmas, losing is contagious and they need to be careful that they don't push guys into bad situations, which will effect their long term growth because of losing.

Pysyk is gonna really give Girgensons a fight for his money (and whom ever else) to become a Captain of the Sabres, as LTS said, and being in Rochester gives him an opportunity to lead the team and be in every situation. I think they view Pysyk as a Duncan Keith type player, and he spend roughly 150 games in the AHL prior to going to Chicago.

I agree with sending Pysyk down to work on the offensive side of his game. He put up Weber-like offensive numbers with the big club. If he can develop just a bit more offensive game, he'll help the team all that much more.

I think for next year we'll see Pysyk and Larsson up with the Sabres. Maybe Deslauriers too. All the rest of the prospects (Armia, Risto, etc.) will probably spend another year in Rochester. Good that Grigo will finally be able to join the Amerks next season. They should have a pretty good team down on the farm.

I agree with sending Pysyk down to work on the offensive side of his game. He put up Weber-like offensive numbers with the big club. If he can develop just a bit more offensive game, he'll help the team all that much more.

I think for next year we'll see Pysyk and Larsson up with the Sabres. Maybe Deslauriers too. All the rest of the prospects (Armia, Risto, etc.) will probably spend another year in Rochester. Good that Grigo will finally be able to join the Amerks next season. They should have a pretty good team down on the farm.

Pysyk and Larsson should move up, but we can add Grigorenko and hopefully we'll be signing McCabe and Carrier and adding them to the mix as well. I'd like to keep Risto and Ruhwedel down there to start next year as well. I also hope the Sabres find some good AHL veterans to make sure the Amerks stay good.

Everybody already has it covered. I think he'll probably be in Buffalo full-time next year. They'll probably try to keep some of the prospects down for the year, but some of them can gain a year of NHL experience. One year of losing isn't a terrible thing, and I think they'll be pushing hard in the 2015 offseason to build a winner.

The 2015 offseason will be HUGE for this organization. Obviously there's the draft with McDavid/Eichel/Hanifin/etc...

Then the free agents (obviously some of these guys aren't going anywhere and aren't going to come here...):

Spezza, Toews, Patrick Kane (I think the possibility of him coming here are higher than some think, but still not very high), Mike Green, David Krejci, Bobby Ryan, Fleury, Dubinsky, Schneider, Marc Staal, Niemi, MacArthur, Nick Foligno, Ben Bishop...

There should be enough salary cap room and young talent on this team after the 2015 Draft to make Buffalo more attractive to FAs.

I could see Toews wanting to play in Winnipeg his hometown.

If the Senators keep Paul Mac Lean Bobby Ryan may want out.

Kane? Who knows what will happen.

Impressive rookie Mark Pysyk feels like he can keep developing with Amerks, could be back with Sabres soon

By most standards, Mark Pysyk is ready for regular NHL duty. His efficient, steady play during 42 appearances earlier this season earned the rookie praise as the Buffalo Sabres’ best defenseman.

But the 22-year-old is back with the Americans, riding buses again in the AHL.

At first, it appeared his Jan. 24 assignment would only be temporary. The Sabres wanted Pysyk to keep playing during the Olympic break, they said. Six weeks later, he’s still in the AHL.

“I wasn’t banking on anything,” Pysyk said Friday following the Amerks’ 4-1 win against the Syracuse Crunch inside the Blue Cross War Memorial, his 21st AHL game this season.

So why is Pysyk in the minors with the Sabres, the league’s worst team, playing some veterans who appear to have no future with them?

• 11 months later...

Bumping this thread because of some interesting comments by the coach and GM.

According to Hoppe:

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-patience-with-nikita-zadorov-could-be-wearing-thin/

“Last time he was up he was ready for primetime,” Nolan said about Pysyk. “I thought he played a real strong, solid game (Sunday). McCabe’s coming, too. As far as who’s ahead of who, Pysyk right now seems like he’s really ready.”

Nolan clearly wanted Pysyk to stay when the Sabres recalled him in December, although he stopped short of saying so.

“Personally, I like Mark, and I think he’s ready,” he said. “As a coach, you just got to make sure you’re as patient as the players are.”

Meanwhile, yesterday on WGR, Murray said:

http://media.wgr550.com/a/102377300/2-23-tim-murray-on-hockey-hotline-with-kevin-and-andrew.htm?q=tim+Murray

"Mark showed his ability to get up the ice. This is all I ever asked of him. We know you can play a safe game. We know you are smart, you can skate and play a safe game. We want you to do more."

Many of us agree with Nolan.

Is Pysyk's presence in the minors blatant tanking? Or is it Murray's attempt to inspire the player to be better?

A bit of both?

Does he have a future with this team?

Are these quotes an example of a split between Murray and Nolan?

Edited by Djuda Chekhov

Holding Pysyk down is absolutely a tank move. He's 123% ready for NHL duty.

I'll go further - if he'd been with the big club all season in place of, say, Messy, the Sabres would be 3rd or 4th in the CHL right now.

Edited by Neuvirths Perchatka

Holding Pysyk down is absolutely a tank move. He's 123% ready for NHL duty.

I'll go further - if he'd been with the big club all season in place of, say, Messy, the Sabres would be 3rd or 4th in the CHL right now.

I don't want to put too much stock in the thought, but spending most of the year in Rochester also gets him a cheaper contract next year, probably just his 1 year qualifying offer.

Bumping this thread because of some interesting comments by the coach and GM.

According to Hoppe:

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-patience-with-nikita-zadorov-could-be-wearing-thin/

“Last time he was up he was ready for primetime,” Nolan said about Pysyk. “I thought he played a real strong, solid game (Sunday). McCabe’s coming, too. As far as who’s ahead of who, Pysyk right now seems like he’s really ready.”

Nolan clearly wanted Pysyk to stay when the Sabres recalled him in December, although he stopped short of saying so.

“Personally, I like Mark, and I think he’s ready,” he said. “As a coach, you just got to make sure you’re as patient as the players are.”

Meanwhile, yesterday on WGR, Murray said:

http://media.wgr550.com/a/102377300/2-23-tim-murray-on-hockey-hotline-with-kevin-and-andrew.htm?q=tim+Murray

"Mark showed his ability to get up the ice. This is all I ever asked of him. We know you can play a safe game. We know you are smart, you can skate and play a safe game. We want you to do more."

Many of us agree with Nolan.

Is Pysyk's presence in the minors blatant tanking? Or is it Murray's attempt to inspire the player to be better?

A bit of both?

Does he have a future with this team?

Are these quotes an example of a split between Murray and Nolan?

Murray and Nolan have been split since PLF quit. PLF and TN came in with visions of turning this thing around. Pegula and his boys said "slow down we are still going through with the plan of our sacrificial lamb". PLF had already hired Murray and said screw this. TN was desperate for work and Murray had his first gig. And here we are. The story of the Buffalo Sabres is pretty easy to read.

Tank or no tank this organization has been a joke since and before Pegula took over. We as fans have been as loyal as possible - more so than we should have been.

Thank god these days of accepting this crap are almost over. We as a fan base have to demand more once this season is over.

As for Pysyk add him to the victims of this pathetic organizational wisdom of finishing last two years straight.

Edited by sicknfla

Murray and Nolan have been split since PLF quit. PLF and TN came in with visions of turning this thing around. Pegula and his boys said "slow down we are still going through with the plan of our sacrificial lamb". PLF had already hired Murray and said screw this. TN was desperate for work and Murray had his first gig. And here we are. The story of the Buffalo Sabres is pretty easy to read.

Tank or no tank this organization has been a joke since and before Pegula took over. We as fans have been as loyal as possible - more so than we should have been.

Thank god these days of accepting this crap are almost over. We as a fan base have to demand more once this season is over.

As for Pysyk add him to the victims of this pathetic organizational wisdom of finishing last two years straight.

Funny, when I listen to TSN radio or watch Hockey Central here in Toronto it doesnt seem anyone here (or the rest of Canada for that matter) seems to be laughing at the joke. They actually seem to be jealous of where the Sabres are and wish the Leafs had travelled down the "suffering" path many years ago.

Also the reason why the Hockey News writes articles like this:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/why-the-buffalo-sabres-will-be-stanley-cup-champions-in-2020/

The only ones who seem to think the Sabres are a joke are people who follow hockey by just looking at the standings or have an inability to look at the big picture.

This stream of consciousness doesn't logically follow.

1. This organization is a joke.

2. Next year will be different.

If next year is different (i.e., the Sabres improve, especially with Reinhart and McEichel), then the organization executed the right strategy and therefore is no joke.

As for Pysyk, it's too early to pronounce judgment on whether this process hindered him. Every time he's played with the Sabres he's looked pretty darned good. Once he gets a regular gig, if he continues to excel, your assertion will be disproven.

One of the hazards with rebuilding is thrusting immature players into the lineup too early. The Oilers are a train wreck because of this. In Pysyk's case, he's been held back to mature in the AHL. I think he's perfectly ripe for a breakout season next year. If you look at the other younger players, Zemgus is Zemgus, mature beyond his years. Risto is a prodigy. Zadorov is good on the ice but would have been best kept in the minors/AHL had that been an option in order to mature and learn American ways.

Considering how "young" we consider the Sabres to be, they've done a good job shielding the youngsters from this year's ###### storm. You can call this organization a joke, but if we get a bumper crop of mature prospects ready to make the jump to the NHL at the start of next season, the rest of the league won't be laughing.

Edited by Neuvirths Perchatka

Funny, when I listen to TSN radio or watch Hockey Central here in Toronto it doesnt seem anyone here (or the rest of Canada for that matter) seems to be laughing at the joke. They actually seem to be jealous of where the Sabres are and wish the Leafs had travelled down the "suffering" path many years ago.

Also the reason why the Hockey News writes articles like this:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/why-the-buffalo-sabres-will-be-stanley-cup-champions-in-2020/

The only ones who seem to think the Sabres are a joke are people who follow hockey by just looking at the standings or have an inability to look at the big picture.

164+ games of what we have had to endure is a joke. I could care less what some scribs write. 3 years from now maybe it will pay off but that is a big ???????????.

You have been the biggest tank supporter and have accepted this type of management. I don't. I find it as an embarrassment to the league and the fans.

Neither one of us is wrong. Just different opinions.

This stream of consciousness doesn't logically follow.

1. This organization is a joke.

2. Next year will be different.

If next year is different (i.e., the Sabres improve, especially with Reinhart and McEichel), then the organization executed the right strategy and therefore is no joke.

As for Pysyk, it's too early to pronounce judgment on whether this process hindered him. Every time he's played with the Sabres he's looked pretty darned good. Once he gets a regular gig, if he continues to excel, your assertion will be disproven.

One of the hazards with rebuilding is thrusting immature players into the lineup too early. The Oilers are a train wreck because of this. In Pysyk's case, he's been held back to mature in the AHL. I think he's perfectly ripe for a breakout season next year. If you look at the other younger players, Zemgus is Zemgus, mature beyond his years. Risto is a prodigy. Zadorov is good on the ice but would have been best kept in the minors/AHL had that been an option in order to mature and learn American ways.

Considering how "young" we consider the Sabres to be, they've done a good job shielding the youngsters from this year's ###### storm. You can call this organization a joke, but if we get a bumper crop of mature prospects ready to make the jump to the NHL at the start of next season, the rest of the league won't be laughing.

I will use caps to scream this.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE THE WORST TEAM IN NHL HISTORY TO BUILD A COMPETITIVE TEAM!!!

Says you.  Our loyalty to our team is what holds this franchise together, defines us as fans, and is a major part of the character of our city.  Same with the Bills.

Say what you want about being happy, sad, or angry while the team loses (intentionally), but don't dare claim we should have been less loyal.  Especially not now, as we sit here typing this crap into a mechanical box during the franchise-worst season.  Wavering loyalty is for Canes fans.

I'd say the shared loyalty of the fellow Sufferers on this forum is what keeps this bearable.

It's like a giant support group.

Sabres Fans Anonymous. 

I believe Pysyk was kept in Rochester for 2 reasons.  1) Murray didn't like his safe game and wanted him to do more with his obvious god given offensive talent.  Pysyk skates great and passes better.  His shot is decent, he should be turning into Sekera basically.  2) With Zadorov's placement issue they simply lacked the room on the roster to keep him and thus figured with the train wreck of a season why not let him get 25mins a night in Rochester versus 10-15minutes in Buffalo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.