GDT: Buffalo at Florida 3-7-14 at 7:30 PM EST

26CornerBlitz

logo.png

GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

464264453_slide.jpg

GAME #63: BUF (19-35-8) at FLA (23-32-7) – FRI MAR 7 – 7:30 PM EST – MSG-B, BELL TVWGR-550

BUFFALO SABRES BuffaloSabresSmiley-1.png

Final Lineup

23 Ville Leino – 63 Tyler Ennis – 21 Drew Stafford ("A")

44 Nicolas Deslauriers – 19 Cody Hodgson – 82 Marcus Foligno

72 Luke Adam – 65 Brian Flynn – 27 Matt D’Agostini

32 John Scott – 24 Zenon Konopka – 37 Matt Ellis

X: 28 Zemgus Girgensons (LBI), 80 Chris Stewart (LBI), 17 Torrey Mitchell (LBI), 88 Cory Conacher (immigration issues)

10 Christian Ehrhoff ("A") – 52 Alexander Sulzer

6 Mike Weber – 57 Tyler Myers

20 Henrik Tallinder ("A") – 4 Jamie McBain

34 Michal Neuvirth

1 Jhonas Enroth

Lineup News & Notes

F Cory Conacher and C Zenon Konopka were scratches in Thursday's 3-1 win at Tampa Bay.

Weekly Transactions

03/05: Claimed F Cory Conacher off waivers from Ottawa.

03/05: Acquired F Nicolas Deslauriers & F Hudson Fasching from LAK for D Brayden McNabb, F Jonathan Parker, & 2 #2 picks ('14 & '15).

03/05: Acquired G Michal Neuvirth & D Rostislav Klesla from WAS for G Jaroslav Halak & a #3 pick in '15.

03/05: Acquired F Torrey Mitchell & 2 #2 picks ('14 & '16) from MIN for F Matt Moulson & F Cody McCormick.

03/07: Recalled (on an emergency basis) F Luke Adam and F Nicolas Deslauriers from Rochester (AHL).

According to the Stats

In the last 10 games, Buffalo has gone 5-5-0.

Jhonas Enroth has won three of four after having one win prior to that.

Tyler Myers has six points in his past four games.

Cody Hodgson has four points in his past four games.

FLORIDA PANTHERS Florida_PanthersSmiley.png

Final Lineup

20 Sean Bergenheim – 27 Nick Bjugstad – 24 Brad Boyes

14 Thomas Fleischmann – 67 Vincent Trocheck – 19 Scottie Upshall ("A")

11 Jonathan Huberdeau – 73 Brandon Pirri – 17 Jesse Winchester

21 Krys Barch – 23 Scott Gomez – 12 Jimmy Hayes

51 Brian Campbell ("A") – 77 Tom Gilbert

55 Ed Jovanovski ("C") – 7 Dmitry Kulikov

4 Dylan Olsen – 44 Erik Gudbranson

1 Roberto Luongo

39 Dan Ellis

Lineup News & Notes

Florida scratched F Scott Gomez and F Shawn Matthias in Tuesday's 4-1 loss at Boston.

F Tomas Kopecky (concussion) and C Alexsander Barkov (knee) are on IR.

Weekly Transactions

03/02: Acquired F Mark Mancari from St Louis for LW Eric Selleck.

03/02: Acquired F Brandon Pirri from Chicago for a #3 pick '14 & #5 pick in '16.

03/04: Traded D Mike Weaver to Montreal for a #5 pick in '15.

03/04: Acquired G Roberto Luongo and F Steve Anthony from Vancouver for F Shawn Matthias and G Jacob Markstom.

03/05: Acquired G Dan Ellis from Dallas for G Tim Thomas.

03/05: Acquired a #5 pick in '14 and a #3 pick in '15 for C Marcel Goc.

03/05: Recalled F Vincent Trocheck from San Antonio (AHL); Reassigned F Drew Shore and G Scott Clemmensen to San Antonio (AHL).

03/05: Agreed to terms with F Brad Boyes on a two-year contract extension.

According to the Stats

In the Last 10 games, Florida has gone 2-8-0.

Sean Bergenheim has four points in his past four games.

Brian Campbell has three points in his past four.

PREGAME LINKS

03/07 – GAME RECAP: SABRES YOUNG LEADERS STEP UP TO BEAT LIGHTNING (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

03/04 – GAME RECAP: Krejci's hat trick lifts Bruins past big-dealing Panthers (Matt Kalman – NHL.com)

03/06 – From The Press Box: Panthers scored big with one of the biggest acquisitions (Alain Poupart – FloridaPanthers.com)

03/07 – Luongo expected to start for Panthers vs. Sabres (Mike Battaglino – NHL.com)

03/05 – GM Dale Tallon talks to the media on the acquisition of Roberto Luongo, other moves on Trade Deadline. <4:09>

03/06 – Peter Horachek talks to the media following practice at Panthers IceDen. <4:27>

03/07 – Sabres’ Zemgus Girgensons and Chris Stewart out against Panthers (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

03/07 – Game Preview: 3/7/14 at Florida Panthers (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

03/07 – Sabres at Panthers Game Notes PDF (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

03/07 – Press Clips: 3/7/14 at Florida Panthers (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

03/07 – Panthers GameDay: Mar. 7 vs Buffalo (FloridaPanthers.com)

03/07 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media prior to Friday night's game against the Panthers at BB&T Center. <4:33>

03/07 – SABRES RECALL ADAM, DESLAURIERS (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

03/07 – The Lowdown: Panthers vs Sabres ("Hockey Pat" McGrath – FloridaPanthers.com)

03/07 – Nicolas Deslauriers speaks with the media prior to Friday night's game against the Panthers at BB&T Center. <3:55>

03/07 – Peter Horachek talks to the media following morning skate at BB&T Center.. <4:49>

03/07 – Sabres summon Luke Adam and Nicolas Deslauriers from Amerks on emergency basis (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

POSTGAME LINKS

03/07 – NHL POST-GAME NEWSLETTER: Buffalo Sabres @ Florida Panthers (NHL.com)

03/07 – GAME RECAP: SABRES FELLED BY PANTHERS SPECIAL TEAMS (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

03/07 – Brian Duff and Dan Dunleavy recap the Sabres 2-0 loss to the Panthers. <4:19>

03/07 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media following the Sabres 2-0 loss to the Panthers. <2:59>

03/07 – Nicolas Deslauriers speaks with Brian Duff following the Sabres 2-0 loss to the Panthers. <2:51>

03/07 – Christian Ehrhoff speaks with the media following the Sabres 2-0 loss to the Panthers. <1:19>

03/07 – Marcus Foligno speaks with the media following the Sabres 2-0 loss to the Panthers. <2:35>

03/07 – Michal Neuvirth speaks with Brian Duff following the Sabres 2-0 loss to the Panthers. <1:48>

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

This is realy strange, but do you think the Sabres are going to blow the first pick in the draft? They just went 4-1 and a number of players (Meyers, Ennis, Stafford) seem to be playing with some fire in them. I never thought I'd want them to lose....

Paging Robviously, Robviously needed in the GDT

Sabres shot differential during this little post Olympic "tear": -16.6

It's great how well Enroth is playing, but the rate of victories is unsustainable as long as that number stays near where it is.

Ahhh. Tanks. I was worried there.

As always, Go Sabres !

This is realy strange, but do you think the Sabres are going to blow the first pick in the draft? They just went 4-1 and a number of players (Meyers, Ennis, Stafford) seem to be playing with some fire in them. I never thought I'd want them to lose....

Paging Robviously, Robviously needed in the GDT

SPOILER ALERT: Yes. The Sabres are going to blow their draft status this year. Next year too. This is what they do. This is ALL they do. If they gave out banners for teams playing well late in the season after sucking for the most of the year, we'd be the most storied franchise in the league at this point.

And, no, none of these late runs ever amount to anything. We can have the best record in hockey from January 1st through the end of the regular season and then be absolutely terrible again come October, November, and December. The ending to the movie doesn't change no matter how many times you watch the Blu Ray.

Sabres shot differential during this little post Olympic "tear": -16.6

It's great how well Enroth is playing, but the rate of victories is unsustainable as long as that number stays near where it is.

"They're going to completely tank now......OK, now......OK, NOW.......OK, that's a few more wins in a row but NOW!.....with the latest injuries, the tank should really start now......huh, that's weird...."

"They're going to completely tank now......OK, now......OK, NOW.......OK, that's a few more wins in a row but NOW!.....with the latest injuries, the tank should really start now......huh, that's weird...."

I'm sorry man, I've been with you before on the Sabres blowing a shot at a good draft pick, but you're wrong this time. The tank will succeed.

Every game I watch, I pull for a Sabres win and I'm happy when they do. To me, the tank (and resulting 1st pick) is something hypothetical I use to look at as a silver lining when they lose. But I can honestly say I root for a win every game.

That said, Enroth is not Hasek or Miller. He will have some bad games to go with these gems. And Neuvirth won't be Hasek Miller *or* Enroth. The tank resides in the the goaltending tandem at this point. I want and hope to see the rest of the team steadily improve. This year is the locker room chemistry; down the road it will be improvement in the talent level. The final piece will be top-shelf goaltending. If you have a decent team but weak goaltending, you're not going to win a lot of games.

Next year they can manipulate the tank by overplaying Neuvirth. Playing him 50-50 for a while, saying you're letting him compete for the job, will put the lesser of two goalies off the ice for more games, and also will keep the better goalie off his game. (Think about it- no wins this year until he was "the guy". The last time he showed anything like this was a while back when Miller was out injured.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.