Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

PFL turned down Pegula's original offer to be GM since he admitted that he wasn't qualified. He then hired a (presumably) qualified GM to preside over personnel moves. Why then should the unqualified guy (PLF) have veto power of personnel moves? He shouldn't. Hire the GM and let him run the team.

This looks to be all about PLF not being able to handle differences in opinion over personnel decisions. And, I don't think it was just the Miller trade. I think this also has to do with the future moves that we'll read about shortly.

BTW - Craig Patrick (another qualified guy) is sticking around. That speaks volumes.

What you say makes sense to me.

If this is all about the Miller trade and PLF wanting to keep him, PLF is just plain wrong. There is no way we could take chance that we get nothing for him or Ott (as much as I would have liked to keep both). Miller tipped off his intentions when he sold his Buffalo home last year. If either Miller or Ott want to return, there is nothing stopping them from signing with Sabres in July.

Unfortunately, the best option we had now was to get something for both of these guys now. PLF should have realized this. Moreover, PLF was the guy who chose TM over every other guy he interviewed. At least, he lasted longer than the 40 days with the Islanders.

PFL turned down Pegula's original offer to be GM since he admitted that he wasn't qualified. He then hired a (presumably) qualified GM to preside over personnel moves. Why then should the unqualified guy (PLF) have veto power of personnel moves? He shouldn't. Hire the GM and let him run the team.

This looks to be all about PLF not being able to handle differences in opinion over personnel decisions. And, I don't think it was just the Miller trade. I think this also has to do with the future moves that we'll read about shortly.

BTW - Craig Patrick (another qualified guy) is sticking around. That speaks volumes.

Yeah pretty much my thought...if you wanted to be involved in personnel decisions then he should have been the GM. His role was to build the hockey department, set the outline for what they wanted to do, which was rebuild, and let his people do their job then give input at the end of the year or as needed regarding what they were doing....not immediately meddle with the guy you just hired

Ted Nolan has been offered a three-year contract extension, according to Paul Hamilton of WGR Sports Radio 550.

Nolan was hired by the Pat LaFontaine, who just resigned from his post as the president of hockey operations, in mid-November and has been operating under the interim tag. The Sabres have gone 14-19-7 under Nolan and have definitely shown a nice improvement with him behind the bench. Mar. 1 - 7:39 pm et

Source: Paul Hamilton on Twitter

My take after all that has transpired, all that we heard, know, and all of the rumors is this:

If PLF was the stand-up guy he portrays himself to be and comes across as, this wouldn't have happened today. Even if it was all about the Miller and Nolan circumstances, and I have very good reason to believe that had little to do with it. If that were the case, he would have resigned after the deadline and crafted the story differently and more positively for all parties.

IF, however, PLF was the meddler or micromanager, and got in a power struggle with Murray or Pegula, things like today happen.

Wow you guys make a lot out of nothing.

What do you know?

If you know something that puts it into perspective, better to put it out there rather than a drive-by mild insult.

All of Sabre Nation that has online access seems to think this is "something", if message boards, Facebook, and Twitter are any indication.

Wow. I want to know why before I pass judgement.

You won't last long here with that attitude.

Just kidding. Maybe after seeing TM put together a pretty decent trade, PLF realized that he wasn't needed and decided to get back to his old job that he did nothing at as well.

Patty thanks Terry Pegula and Fans but not his colleagues as he leaves.

I think Tim Murray just survived his first pissing contest with the guy that hired him.

I'm smiling because I think Murray's our guy.

I agree.

Interesting to see the crowd turn on PLF. A few months ago folks were acting like he was a savior. Now, he's a meddler and good riddance.

In this kind of bar fight, and that's really what it is, there is almost always one guy who is the bad guy. It doesn't really matter who wins or walks away or acts tougher. There is almost always one guy who was the main reason the dumb war broke out and got out of hand in the first place.

It could be Murray, it could be PLF, it could be Pegula. Fans and posters are going to have an opinion about which one was the bad guy in this particular donnybrook. To me, it's easiest to see PLF as that guy, followed by Pegula (which if it were him, he is choosing Murray over Pat), and then Murray.

Interesting to see the crowd turn on PLF. A few months ago folks were acting like he was a savior. Now, he's a meddler and good riddance.

To be clear, I said Pegula was an "unrepentant meddler", not PLF. I'm also defending PLF's position that, if he were told the hockey department was his to run, Pegula shouldn't be over-ruling PLF's decisions (whether I agree with the decision or not).

Edited by sizzlemeister

What do you know?

If you know something that puts it into perspective, better to put it out there rather than a drive-by mild insult.

All of Sabre Nation that has online access seems to think this is "something", if message boards, Facebook, and Twitter are any indication.

agreed. The fanbase is very sensitive right now, you have to remember we're in the middle of a giant tank.to have Pat LaFontaine come in as our Savior, and then all the sudden get shitcanned (yes, getting politely asked for a resignation is almost the same thing, I am confident that is what happened) out of nowhere after one of the biggest trades in sabres history is definitely going to stir things up a bit...

To be clear, I said Pegula was an "unrepentant meddler", not PLF. I'm also defending PLF's position that, if he were told the hockey department was his to run, Pegula shouldn't be over-ruling PLF's decisions (whether I agree with the decision or not).

I wasn't quoting or referencing you. At least not consciously. But the board has gone from oh god please don't let it be PLF to he wasn't much needed, buh-bye in five short hours.

What do you know?

No insult.

Just pointing out the obvious.

My main worry still is connected to the fact that TP wanted PLF to be GM when Pat had absolutely no clue how to play that role. If that does not scream Marv Levy as GM, I don't know what does. Without knowing any of the facts, I just have a feeling that Pegula is going to look like an amateur when it's all said and done.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.