Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

Edited by X. Benedict

Well, we don't know if the squabble WAS petty. Nolan may very well end up leaving on his own accord, but it sure sounded like Murray was in his corner regarding working on an extension, his work with young players, etc. so I don't think Teddy was the core issue. I think it's about personnel moves and if Patty wasn't on board with them, it's anything BUT a petty squabble. Indeed, it's about the very rebuilding of the organization; a job Patty entrusted to the man he hired. Reflects very well on TM in that regard.

GO SABRES!!!

Agreed.....it's impossible to truly know what's going on until the dust settles. And that assumes we'll actually know what went on here. If it was personnel issues, it just speaks to us creating a management structure that obviously didn't work. My frustration out of this thing has nothing to do with the party at fault (we don't know who it is), more that we look like one of the dumbest organizations in hockey. Dirty laundry is being aired in a very public, very embarrassing way.

I hope Ted stays for those three years. He doesn't strike me as a great X & O tactician, but he's damned good at getting players to skate through walls for him. Just what a young team needs as it matures.

GO SABRES!!!

Agreed.....it's impossible to truly know what's going on until the dust settles. And that assumes we'll actually know what went on here. If it was personnel issues, it just speaks to us creating a management structure that obviously didn't work. My frustration out of this thing has nothing to do with the party at fault (we don't know who it is), more that we look like one of the dumbest organizations in hockey. Dirty laundry is being aired in a very public, very embarrassing way.

Yeah, in the short term, it looks embarrassing, but if Patty ends up as the guy who hired the guy that leads us to the promised land, it won't matter at all. And if Murray craps the bed, it won't look much like anything anyway.

GO SABRES!!!

Agreed.....it's impossible to truly know what's going on until the dust settles

My frustration out of this thing has nothing to do with the party at fault (we don't know who it is), more that we look like one of the dumbest organizations in hockey. Dirty laundry is being aired in a very public, very embarrassing way.

We all knew LaFontaine was probably going to leave once a decent GM was hired, but I agree with the above, the timing of the laundry and the airing of it is embarrassing. Patty should have been kept on to just after the deadline and quietly resigned if this was the case. A GM title means management, this was not...

Why was LaFontaine brought here anyway? He was a familure popular figure whose face was the face of change in the organization. I guess he didn't want to just be a figurehead. but that's all he was

I always thought there were too many people in power. I too thought Patty was just an 'ambassador'.

I could change my mind when more info comes out but to me, this looks poorly on LaFontaine. If he had a beef with Murray or Pegula and wanted to take a stand, fine. If he wanted Nolan to stay on as coach and would resign if that didn't happen, fine. But to do it after the trade and with 4-5 days before the deadline isn't the right time to take a stand on that, even if he wanted to say after he resigned next week that he wasn't directly involved in the trade discussions.

No doubt. This, paired with what he did in Long Island, speaks of very poor character. I really don't think anyone can feel bad about a person like him leaving. He can kiss any future as an NHL team executive goodbye. Very poor decision making in his part. Don't let the door...

This looks like its more on PLF from what Hamilton is saying...also I like the contract extension for 3 years...hopefully Nolan takes it

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but it's hard to imagine that they would lowball him, and almost want him to not accept the offer and quit in order for them to save face with the fans and players who liked Ted Nolan. There aren't a lot of NHL jobs out there. Even with the job he did if he walks away, who is going to hire him? They may not offer him a lot but I doubt it will be peanuts just to make themselves look good when he declines it and says it's an embarrassment.

Why was LaFontaine brought here anyway? He was a familure popular figure whose face was the face of change in the organization. I guess he didn't want to just be a figurehead. but that's all he was

Terry thought he could "work with him."

We all knew LaFontaine was probably going to leave once a decent GM was hired, but I agree with the above, the timing of the laundry and the airing of it is embarrassing. Patty should have been kept on to just after the deadline and quietly resigned if this was the case. A GM title means management, this was not...

We all knew he was going to leave? I missed that day. I had the flu.

If LF is gone and Teddy is gone so I am... hmm the Blues have the same colors... p.s. I am joining a men's league team called the iceholes. If this is true FU Sabres...

What did you think, Patty friggin La was going to run our team? When I first heard he was hired, I nearly threw up in my mouth. That's like Jim Kelly being hired by the Bills as GM. Friggin ridiculous. He has/had zero knowledge of how to scout players, deal with the CBA, or run a team. Zero. This is addition by subtraction. We now have an actual organization being run by experienced hockey people.

Terry thought he could "work with him."

We all knew he was going to leave? I missed that day. I had the flu.

There was talk on one of the early discussions that a strong GM might make PLF temporary. I believe PLF even said something to that effect at one point, but I could be mistaken.

I hope Ted stays for those three years. He doesn't strike me as a great X & O tactician, but he's damned good at getting players to skate through walls for him. Just what a young team needs as it matures.

GO SABRES!!!

The head coach doesn't have to be the detail guy, the assistants can do that. But he has to be a leader and motivator. Rolston would have been a good assistant but not an NHL coach.

LaFontaine said at his hiring press conference that Nolan was coach for rest of the year only. When Murray was hired he said he was told that Nolan staying as coach was not a condition of his hiring. Did LaFontaine go back on his word? I also don't care if Murray doesn't have people skills. Neither did Bill Polian. I want a good GM

Its got nothing to do with Ted Nolan apparently it was a disagreement over the big trade yesterday.

What did you think, Patty friggin La was going to run our team? When I first heard he was hired, I nearly threw up in my mouth. That's like Jim Kelly being hired by the Bills as GM. Friggin ridiculous. He has/had zero knowledge of how to scout players, deal with the CBA, or run a team. Zero. This is addition by subtraction. We now have an actual organization being run by experienced hockey people.

That is fine, but I don't understand why this could not have been handled in house. It sounds like an ill managed political campaign that can't keep its own people in line instead of quietly resigning to be with family with nothing further heard about the matter. I was also upset when it sounded like Nolan might be gone too. That double whammy would be too much too deal with. Like I said, I was just beginning to like the Sabres again despite the losing. Appearances are important, yes winning is too, but I gotta have both and both PLF and Nolan are part of that positive image for my view of the Sabres while they are rebuilding.

I was in Washington during one of the Murray reigns and couldn't stand the way the guy ran the Capitals and his mealy mouthed explanations. I hope this one isn't of the same ilk.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.