OT - Car reviews/opinions

chileanseabass

Toyota Auris 2008

This is what I am driving at the moment, bought the car from my parents, 5 yrs old, except for the usual maintenance that will come with cars hitting 6yrs, i never had any issues.

Seeing my height being 1.94 meters i need a bit of room. This car has suprisingly alot of space for being a smaller model.

The car has just enough punch to make it fun driving to, makes you feel like you are driving on a cloud to :D

Edit, also had a small accident with it after 5 months because i was blinded by the sun and hit another car in the flank, my bumper was a bit scraped, but it came out ok.

Can't really say that of the other car though.

toyota-auris.jpg

Edited by Heimdall

Gotta say I love my '10 Subaru Outback. Just hit 40k with no issues. Original brakes and tires (although tires will need changing by next season). Full-time AWD and I get between 25-29mpg depending on Winter/Summer. Super safety ratings (peace of mind with the wife/children in the car) and roomy.

Stylish? Not so much. Practical? In this weather? Absolutely!

While scouring the net last night, I found this guy, who's local, who buys (mostly) VW's that have been totaled, fixes them up, and sells them.

http://www.southendauto.net/

I'm sure the re-sale value on a a salvage titled car is next to nil, but if I'm just going to drive it into the ground, what difference is there? Anyone have an experience with these sort of "rebuilt" vehicles?

C'MON! you look at that and you're impressed? Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but man C'MON!!

Lol

Yes I am. Like I said, it looks better in person. I mean, it's a wagon. If you want a sporty wagon, go for a Mazda3, but I'm not sure I buy into the concept of a sports wagon.

Toyota Auris 2008

This is what I am driving at the moment, bought the car from my parents, 5 yrs old, except for the usual maintenance that will come with cars hitting 6yrs, i never had any issues.

Seeing my height being 1.94 meters i need a bit of room. This car has suprisingly alot of space for being a smaller model.

The car has just enough punch to make it fun driving to, makes you feel like you are driving on a cloud to :D

Edit, also had a small accident with it after 5 months because i was blinded by the sun and hit another car in the flank, my bumper was a bit scraped, but it came out ok.

Can't really say that of the other car though.

toyota-auris.jpg

Get outta here you crazy foreigner and your European models we don't get here. :P

While scouring the net last night, I found this guy, who's local, who buys (mostly) VW's that have been totaled, fixes them up, and sells them.

http://www.southendauto.net/

I'm sure the re-sale value on a a salvage titled car is next to nil, but if I'm just going to drive it into the ground, what difference is there? Anyone have an experience with these sort of "rebuilt" vehicles?

I've bought a few in my time. Had one with ongoing problems, two others that were great cars. It is really dependent on what the damage was and how good the repair is. This is the ultimate buyer beware scenario. I'd say pass unless you know what you are looking for. I had the advantage of a FIL who was in the auto body repair biz and helped me choose good vehicles.

I'll add this, do NOT buy fire damaged or flood damaged vehicles. Their problems take a good bit of time to surface, examples being corrosion on structural parts and even corrosion on electrical connections. Look at the title and verify that the vehicle has not seen flood or fire.

I've bought a few in my time. Had one with ongoing problems, two others that were great cars. It is really dependent on what the damage was and how good the repair is. This is the ultimate buyer beware scenario. I'd say pass unless you know what you are looking for. I had the advantage of a FIL who was in the auto body repair biz and helped me choose good vehicles.

I'll add this, do NOT buy fire damaged or flood damaged vehicles. Their problems take a good bit of time to surface, examples being corrosion on structural parts and even corrosion on electrical connections. Look at the title and verify that the vehicle has not seen flood or fire.

Sounds like good advice to me. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Okay, my 04 Impala is about ready to give up on life. I want a small SUV/Crossover... I like the 2014 - Forester, Escape and Sportage but am not sure what way to go. Each has something I like with the forester being the front runner. Anyone have any thoughts on Subaru, Ford, and Kia?

I would probably prefer the Subaru, based on performance and reliability. Motor Trend called the '14 Forrester the SUV of the year, FWIW. My cousins drive Ford Escapes, and it seems to work pretty well for them. I generally avoid Kia like the plague. Motor Trend crossover comparisons (including the Forrester and Escape) from 2013: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1308_compact_crossover_comparison/viewall.html

2001 Audi A6 2.7T

2004 Toyota Siena AWD

2003 Kubota L3130

2006 Polaris Sportsman 700EFI

We have a 600 foot driveway. ;-)

The boys just got a Suzuki JR50 and a Honda XR50...

Now:

2004 Toyota Sienna AWD (~185k, expect we can pull 250-300k out of it)

2003 Kubota L3130 (love this thing)

2006 Polaris Sportsman (Love it when its running good, but the engine heat tends to vapor lock the fuel line - annoying)

2004 JR50 is awaiting the two year old

2002 Honda XR50 is still used by one of the twins, but he should be transitioning off it this year

2001 Honda XR70 - Both Hondas are fantastic

2004 Yamaha TTR90 - New to us

Also picked up 4 Ski-Doos - 2000 and 2002 MXZ 700s, 2001 Formula Deluxe 700, and a 2006 MXZ 800

2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab (to pull the sleds to WNY or Northern Maine)

The A6 met an untimely demise due to Mass emission standards. It ran great, had 145k, but needed catalytic convertors (~$2k a piece). Hopefully someone in another state is enjoying it.

Just in my experience working at many different dealerships, including Ford, Nissan, Hyundai, Lincoln and Mercury and seeing all these cars come in on trade with gobs of miles and wear and tear, I would say go with a certified pre owned 2 year old Escape. I would NEVER buy a new car under any circumstance. The bath you will take is completely unacceptable (to little old me), and the warranty you get with a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) is actually better than if you buy new. Not to mention you will probably pay appx half the price of a new car... May I ask if you are leasing or buying? Lease rates completely depend on the manufacturer and the demand on the particular brand you are looking to lease...

Edited by MILFHUNTER#518

Just in my experience working at many different dealerships, including Ford, Nissan, Hyundai, Lincoln and Mercury and seeing all these cars come in on trade with gobs of miles and wear and tear, I would say go with a certified pre owned 2 year old Escape. I would NEVER buy a new car under any circumstance. The bath you will take is completely unacceptable (to little old me), and the warranty you get with a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) is actually better than if you buy new. Not to mention you will probably pay appx half the price of a new car... May I ask if you are leasing or buying? Lease rates completely depend on the manufacturer and the demand on the particular brand you are looking to lease...

I'd buy and the reason for the 2014 is the redesigns that just occurred

Okay, my 04 Impala is about ready to give up on life. I want a small SUV/Crossover... I like the 2014 - Forester, Escape and Sportage but am not sure what way to go. Each has something I like with the forester being the front runner. Anyone have any thoughts on Subaru, Ford, and Kia?

Only ten years old? What did you do to that poor thing? :P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.