OT - Car reviews/opinions

chileanseabass

The quality of both the Subaru and the Escape is even. I think they both make damn fine cars, so I think you would be ok with either. If you do keep it six years, the depreciation issue would be negligible. One thing really nice about Subaru is the service contracts on them are incredibly reasonable, you can probably get a long term one for less than a thousand bucks, and that would be a Subaru plan. If you choose one of those get the $50-100 deductible option, and go with bumper to bumper. And if they offer a third party option (one other than the Subaru plan) ask for the Subaru one, it is backed by the factory and doesn't skimp on coverage. DEFINITELY do not under ANY circumstances take a INTERSTATE service contract, that is the brand Billy Fuccillo pushes, it is complete garbage and a lot of garages wont take it or will make you pay the bill up front and reimburse you when they get paid by that company. A factory plan will be accepted at any dealership, no questions asked.

The quality of both the Subaru and the Escape is even. I think they both make damn fine cars, so I think you would be ok with either. If you do keep it six years, the depreciation issue would be negligible. One thing really nice about Subaru is the service contracts on them are incredibly reasonable, you can probably get a long term one for less than a thousand bucks, and that would be a Subaru plan. If you choose one of those get the $50-100 deductible option, and go with bumper to bumper. And if they offer a third party option (one other than the Subaru plan) ask for the Subaru one, it is backed by the factory and doesn't skimp on coverage. DEFINITELY do not under ANY circumstances take a INTERSTATE service contract, that is the brand Billy Fuccillo pushes, it is complete garbage and a lot of garages wont take it or will make you pay the bill up front and reimburse you when they get paid by that company. A factory plan will be accepted at any dealership, no questions asked.

We were just at the Subaru dealer the other weekend and the service plan they offer right now is about $500. Worth every penny.

Edited by d4rksabre

Is jumping cars a thing in Georgia? Because I feel like it probably happens a lot.

It HAS to be a thing in Georgia! It just has to.

Off roading is so jumping why not.

Thanks! I will definitely asked about that.

Okay, my 04 Impala is about ready to give up on life. I want a small SUV/Crossover... I like the 2014 - Forester, Escape and Sportage but am not sure what way to go. Each has something I like with the forester being the front runner. Anyone have any thoughts on Subaru, Ford, and Kia?

You will probably get the best warranty, and the most car for your money, with Kia. I think Kias are considered to have taken a big step forward in the past 2-3 years.

It's worth driving one before you decide. I would also look at a 2012 or newer Hyundai for similar reasons (ie value and warranty).

You will probably get the best warranty, and the most car for your money, with Kia. I think Kias are considered to have taken a big step forward in the past 2-3 years.

It's worth driving one before you decide. I would also look at a 2012 or newer Hyundai for similar reasons (ie value and warranty).

Kias are hands down the best value on the market right now. And they offer a great warranty.

You will probably get the best warranty' date=' and the most car for your money, with Kia. I think Kias are considered to have taken a big step forward in the past 2-3 years.

[/quote']

Hyundai/Kia has absolutely made a quantum leap forward the last decade or so. I've had one nearly three years now and not a single complaint outside of the stock tires being useless in snow, but not exactly a problem in Georgia. My parents are in their 3rd Elantra without issue, my mom even surviving a highway speed collision in one. And as you and Dark said, value is unbeatable. You're basically getting a new car at a used car price.

Hyundai/Kia has absolutely made a quantum leap forward the last decade or so. I've had one nearly three years now and not a single complaint outside of the stock tires being useless in snow, but not exactly a problem in Georgia. My parents are in their 3rd Elantra without issue, my mom even surviving a highway speed collision in one. And as you and Dark said, value is unbeatable. You're basically getting a new car at a used car price.

And I believe if you're the kind of person who likes leasing, their depreciation over the course of a three year lease is very low so you don't eat a whole lot there either in monthly payments. Subaru is very good at this as well.

I wish all three (Subaru, Kia, Hyundai) made a truck. I'd seriously consider one.

And I believe if you're the kind of person who likes leasing, their depreciation over the course of a three year lease is very low so you don't eat a whole lot there either in monthly payments. Subaru is very good at this as well.

I wish all three (Subaru, Kia, Hyundai) made a truck. I'd seriously consider one.

Good call on the depreciation. Subarus really are terrific, but if money is any kind of a concern, they're definitely more pricey.

2012/2013 Hyundai Elantra - I enjoyed my 07 for the short time I had it, but this is the redesigned version, and I'm not a huge fan of the look.

A family member got the Elantra which I borrowed for a week.

Not as fuel efficient as the sticker. 23 mpg is about what they get, not 28.....and with a small tank. You'll be gassing that baby every 260 miles, which sucks if you are commuting 40 miles a day.

outside of the kia/hyundai base model leases, which are subsidized from the factory, the resale value is SO BAD that the standard lease is awful.Subaru, on the other hand,leases quite well for most of its lineup.

As far as quality, the cars (outside of the Azera, Genesis and Veracruz)are chintsy but reliable. Just dont buy a manual, the clutches usually go at 30k

Subaru Factory plan.

you absolutely made the right choice

I have owned three Hyundais, good cars and would not buy a Kia too chintzy for me. Would take a Subaru or a Ford over a Hyundai any day of the week, despite the warranty for resale value and quality alone. Besides, when you see how much the Hyundai and Kia brands have raised the prices, to within a small margin with brands with better track records, your peace of mind will factor in and you will buy the Subaru or the Ford.

Dude if I was you I would go after a used Nissan Altima. I love my 2008. It is easily the best car that myself or any of my family has owned. It looks like from the price point you listed you can get a 2008 or a 2009 with less than 40K miles on it.

Also the Altima has an incredibly warranty and with the CVT the trans is under warranty until 120k

We've had 4 Altimas between the wife and I since '05. Love them. The '14 gets 39mpg hwy. Big, roomy, cost me under $19K, has the rear camera and bluetooth.

Not only can I make calls hands-free but I can stream audio too. So I can listen to WGR in my car.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

We've had 4 Altimas between the wife and I since '05. Love them. The '14 gets 39mpg hwy. Big, roomy, cost me under $19K, has the rear camera and bluetooth.

Not only can I make calls hands-free but I can stream audio too. So I can listen to WGR in my car.

Ive got the infinity g35x. Big and roomy, rear camera, nav, leather, heated, Bluetooth and all that jazz. Too bad she only gets 20 mpg, but thats ok cause i stole it. This car really turned me on to nissan. Sweet ride.

Edited by ubkev

Nissan is currently making the best looking four door sedans on the market. Wish they still had a five speed.

outside of the kia/hyundai base model leases, which are subsidized from the factory, the resale value is SO BAD that the standard lease is awful.Subaru, on the other hand,leases quite well for most of its lineup.

As far as quality, the cars (outside of the Azera, Genesis and Veracruz)are chintsy but reliable. Just dont buy a manual, the clutches usually go at 30k

you absolutely made the right choice

I think the Kia Optima is a pretty nice sedan and of good quality. I also have a friend with the big Kia SUV (I think it's the Sorrento but not sure) and he is quite happy with it as a family truckster.

For Liger's purposes though Hyundai has a few smaller SUVs that look pretty good.

Liger: if you are OK with a base model (and most of the base models now are pretty well equipped other than no leather upholstery) and you drive under 12K milers per year, you will be able to get a pretty cheap lease deal on a good small SUV. One of ford, Hyundai, Kia or someone else comparable will have something for $200 per month or less and $1000 or less down.

Am I the only person who doesn't consider 5-6 years "long-term"? I mean, most auto loans are in the ballpark of 5 years, so if your plan is to keep it for 5-6 years and get a new one, why bother buying vs. leasing?

Edited by biodork

Am I the only person who doesn't consider 5-6 years "long-term"? I mean, most auto loans are in the ballpark of 5 years, so if your plan is to keep it for 5-6 years and get a new one, why bother buying vs. leasing?

well, if you drive a lot of miles, or want to continuously put no money down and finance down buying is the way to go. After five to six years, your car should either be all paid off or mostly paid off and you should have some equity to put down as a down payment on your next deal. Almost all leases require some form down payment. Also if you lease, not only do you have to be below that alottment of miles, if you have any significant dings or dents or, for example worn out tires you have to pay for that when the lease is up.

well, if you drive a lot of miles, or want to continuously put no money down and finance down buying is the way to go. After five to six years, your car should either be all paid off or mostly paid off and you should have some equity to put down as a down payment on your next deal. Almost all leases require some form down payment. Also if you lease, not only do you have to be below that alottment of miles, if you have any significant dings or dents or, for example worn out tires you have to pay for that when the lease is up.

That makes sense. When I bought my last car, I told the salesman I wanted something reliable that I could conceivably drive for 10 years, lol.

I think the Kia Optima is a pretty nice sedan and of good quality. I also have a friend with the big Kia SUV (I think it's the Sorrento but not sure) and he is quite happy with it as a family truckster.

For Liger's purposes though Hyundai has a few smaller SUVs that look pretty good.

Liger: if you are OK with a base model (and most of the base models now are pretty well equipped other than no leather upholstery) and you drive under 12K milers per year, you will be able to get a pretty cheap lease deal on a good small SUV. One of ford, Hyundai, Kia or someone else comparable will have something for $200 per month or less and $1000 or less down.

the only issue with the base model is I like the bigger engine. I have always had an underpowered car. I looked into leasing and it seems to make more sense for me to buy. I drive about 12,000 miles a year depending on whats going on. This coming year I hope to get to Nashville and Raleigh for a Sabres game.

Subaru Forester 2.0xt premium

Subaru-Forester-2.0-XT-Turbo-SUV-view.jpg

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.