• Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

Yeap

2013 Champs - Chicago Blackhawks (picked third overall in 2006, first overall in 2007)

2012 Champs - Los Angeles Kings (picked second overall in 2008, fifth overall in 2009)

2011 Champs - Boston Bruins (picked second overall in 2009, fifth overall in 2006) -- Don't argue that the second pick doesn't count unless you have an idea for us to acquire the second overall pick next year

2010 Champs - Chicago Blackhawks (see above)

2009 Champs - Pittsburgh Penguins (picked first overall in 2005, second overall in 2004 and first overall in 2003)

I don't care how the Bruins acquired that 2nd round pick, I will argue that it doesn't count because the team was not a basement dweller in order to get the pick. The worst they have been was enough to get the 5th overall pick.

The penguins 1st overall choice in 2005 was also not because they were bad, but it was because they actually won the lottery. 2005 was all about luck (or rigging the draft).

My point was about a team not being able to be a in contention for the playoffs while being able to build a championship team

Also, how many of those teams gutted there roster of all their talent first? Most of those teams already had talent on the roster, and added to it with their high picks.

Edited by apuszczalowski

Which translates to Halak for a 2015 1st plus $7,500,000 of Pegula's bucks for the remainder of the season.

Amazing that the once great Heatley is now a negative value in a trade. I wouldn't be too upset with this return, especially given the Wild have the potential to be lottery worthy next season.

IMO MN will not be anywhere near the lottery next season. They're going to sign Vanek in the summer after launching Heatley. That's a done deal. If they get Halak and keep him around, they can be top 8 next season. I'd still take their 2015 first tho. Gimme gimme.

I don't care how the Bruins acquired that 2nd round pick, I will argue that it doesn't count because the team was not a basement dweller in order to get the pick. The worst they have been was enough to get the 5th overall pick.

My point was about a team not being able to be a in contention for the playoffs while being able to build a championship team

What about the fifth overall pick in 2006? Ignore that, too? Because they used that pick to get the 2nd overall pick. Instead of saying "bottoming out" it should be "picking in the top five is a good formula to building a champion." If you have a better plan to get into the top five than to be bad enough to get the picks then please, go ahead.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie

Lots of chatter out of DAL that Stephane Robidas may be headed to ANA. No official confirmation yet on that, though. #TSN #Tradecentre

Edited by Tankalicious

IMO MN will not be anywhere near the lottery next season. They're going to sign Vanek in the summer after launching Heatley. That's a done deal. If they get Halak and keep him around, they can be top 8 next season. I'd still take their 2015 first tho. Gimme gimme.

Top 8 in the league or the West? Because if you mean the league, I will take that bet.

They have a better chance of being lottery worthy in 2015 than say, LA (another rumored trading destination)

They have a better chance of being lottery worthy in 2015 than say, LA (another rumored trading destination)

Is LA going to be able to afford re-signing Vanek? Is Vanek willing to sign there or is he 100% set on signing in Minneosota?

I would believe with solid goaltending, Minneosota is a playoff team next year, Vanek or Not

They aren't doomed if they assemble the proper mix of youth and vets. And they've given plenty of indications that they intend to stink again next year and then start adding vets after a high pick in 2015 is secured. I just think Moulson (and Ott for that matter) are the kind of vets that it makes sense to add, and I would've added them now instead of waiting another year.

And it really should be pointed out that GMTM was presumably in on the trade-making decision on Ottawa's end.

Why not cash in the chips they have now for assets? They can certainly negotiate with Ott and Moulson in July if they want to, assuming both were genuine in their stated desire to discuss staying.

What about the fifth overall pick in 2006? Ignore that, too? Because they used that pick to get the 2nd overall pick. Instead of saying "bottoming out" it should be "picking in the top five is a good formula to building a champion." If you have a better plan to get into the top five than to be bad enough to get the picks then please, go ahead.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie

Lots of chatter out of DAL that Stephane Robidas may be headed to ANA. No official confirmation yet on that, though. #TSN #Tradecentre

Not ignoring it, before that season where were they drafting? They spent the previous 5 years drafting in the 20s, after that one bad year the lowest they were drafting was 8 and 16th. In the last 20 years they have missed the playoffs 5 times. They hardly had to become miserable and bottom out/tank in order to win the cup

Kinda disappointed to hear about Moulson. Here's a 25+ goal scorer and solid citizen who is interested in staying, and the Sabres aren't interested? Why? Because they'd rather have a pick or a prospect who might, but probably won't, be as good as Moulson in 3-5 years?

Also, Brooksie is slightly more credible than Garrioch, but only slightly.

I'm with you. I think they're starting to get carried away with acquiring draft picks. I don't care how badly a team plans to tank and rebuild, there is a line that needs to be drawn. Loyal, consistent and dedicated athletes willing to rebuild are not that easy to come by. You don't just trade them for more picks on a whim. Murray needs to find the brake pedal and find the phone number to Moulson's agent.

I'm with you. I think they're starting to get carried away with acquiring draft picks. I don't care how badly a team plans to tank and rebuild, there is a line that needs to be drawn. Loyal, consistent and dedicated athletes willing to rebuild are not that easy to come by. You don't just trade them for more picks on a whim. Murray needs to find the brake pedal and find the phone number to Moulson's agent.

We've acquired 16 1st/2nd round picks from the 2013 (last year) to 2015 drafts! ...and we're interested in getting more?! Stockpiling high draft picks is great, but there has to be a satiation point.

I can only hope that the plan is to bundle lower picks to move up in these next two drafts.