Hired: Tim Murray, GM and Craig Patrick, Advisor

That Aud Smell

We'll likely end up with two or three first round picks. We can look to move one of the later picks.

I think the current incarnation of the team is showing that having a bunch of first round players under 21 doesn't give that much immediate return on investment. It takes these kids at least 2-3 years before they should even realistically be considered for an NHL roster unless they are Crosby/McDavid level. I would prefer we trade one of the first rounders this year for a top 6 forward. Otherwise we are stuck in the never ending cycle of waiting for prospects.

Could that be the same Kevin Frieheit that I went to high school with? He started his own sabres based website and has been reporting from it for a while...

He is the Sabres Blogger on hockeybuzz.com AKA Hockey Lies And Crap (named that only because of the guy who owns it Ecklund who is wrong on his rumors appx 97%of the time)

He is the Sabres Blogger on hockeybuzz.com AKA Hockey Lies And Crap (named that only because of the guy who owns it Ecklund who is wrong on his rumors appx 97%of the time)

I am aware of the reputation of hockeybuzz. I was just intrigued that the name sounded familiar. It's possible that he got that job once Garth went from Sabres blogger to a NHL general role... EDIT: Looks like it is the same guy I was thinking of. Small world. Sucks he's working for such a unreliable website...

Edited by Touched by Boyes

Devine was sitting in row one and Murray said his first job was to talk to Devine and get acquainted with the scouting department.

He also complimented the organization on the quality of its prospects.

I suppose the meeting could have been to put Kevin on notice, but I think it was more about "let's get down to work."

I could see the final decision on Kevin Devine's Future with the Sabres waiting until after the draft in June.

Haha, the hiring of Tim Murray has enhanced the perception of budgetary strain in Ottawa, and the Ottawa fans have started to pour on the self-loathing. Excellent.

If you haven't seen that Sens board from the original GM thread it was a beautiful perception change. From 'he won't leave' to 'sabres may take him' to 'oh sh*t what are we gonna do' to 'our owner sucks...' Awesomeness.

I don't know much about these guys, but I do know that it's not darcy and that's a win in my book, let's start this rebuild right

MURRAY HIRED AS SABRES GENERAL MANAGER

BUFFALO, N.Y. (January 9, 2014) — Buffalo Sabres president of hockey operations Pat LaFontaine today announced the team has hired Tim Murray, a 20-year veteran of NHL front offices, to serve as the club’s general manager. The team also announced that Craig Patrick, the longtime general manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins and a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, has been hired to serve as a special assistant and advisor to the hockey department.

Murray comes to the Sabres after serving as the assistant general manager for the Ottawa Senators, a post he held for seven years. Part of his duties as assistant general manager included serving as general manager of Ottawa’s American Hockey League affiliate, the 2011 Calder-Cup champion Binghamton Senators.

Patrick, whose career as a hockey executive spans more than three decades, comes to the Sabres after serving as a senior advisor in the Columbus Blue Jackets’ front office since December 2011. A 2001 inductee into the Hockey Hall of Fame, Patrick has earned a reputation as one of the most respected executives in hockey, having been named the Sporting News’ NHL Executive of the Year three times (1990-91, 1997-98 and 1998-99) and also the recipient of the 2000 Lester Patrick Trophy, named after his grandfather, for his many contributions to hockey in the United States.

Patrick, whose career as a hockey executive spans more than three decades, comes to the Sabres after serving as a senior advisor in the Columbus Blue Jackets’ front office since December 2011. A 2001 inductee into the Hockey Hall of Fame, Patrick has earned a reputation as one of the most respected executives in hockey, having been named the Sporting News’ NHL Executive of the Year three times (1990-91, 1997-98 and 1998-99) and also the recipient of the 2000 Lester Patrick Trophy, named after his grandfather, for his many contributions to hockey in the United States.

If you haven't seen that Sens board from the original GM thread it was a beautiful perception change. From 'he won't leave' to 'sabres may take him' to 'oh sh*t what are we gonna do' to 'our owner sucks...' Awesomeness.

Feels awesome for once to have an open checkbook like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder to make whatever you want to happen, happen

in fairness to him: he is a competent professional who has many good connections beyond buffalo and wny. he's also more than a decent writer. but, like i said: decidedly not a good guy.

I have no inside knowledge of him, but I have come to the same conclusion just based on observing how he handles himself, how he positions himself, and how he treats other people. I simply do not read anything he writes. No credibility to me.

I keep picturing the AT&T commercial that has the one guy talking to a table full of kids: "Which is better? The trio of Pat Lafontaine, Craig Patrick & Tim Murray or Darcy Regier ??"

And all the kids yell back, "TRIO!!!"

It's not complicated.

Good one.

I don't know if anyone else picked this up, but I think it's significant if the news is from someone at the presser:

Steve Lloyd ‏@TSNSteveLloyd 2h

Don't look for Luke Richardson to join Tim Murray in Buffalo. Hearing that Ted Nolan will likely get an extension. #Sens #Sabres

Edited by sizzlemeister

I am having a hard time getting multi-quote running, but Dudacek said it well....thanks to Taro for the Holy Trinity reference, and Jo has Murray nailed in my opinion.

This is a pretty positive day. For those that wanted guys outside of the Sabres to come in....check. I figured Dudley and Botterill were a good combo given the propensity to hire old Sabres. Patrick and Murray bring the exact same skill and people set, but in a different combo. You have the guy that has been around and has seen it all, and has plenty of contacts. You have a guy who is a workhorse and wants no part of the limelight, and who eats sleeps and breathes hockey and evaluation.

When I see Tim Murray, I see a mini-me of John Butler from the Bills. Butler was more smiley with the media and fans, but make

I am having a hard time getting multi-quote running, but Dudacek said it well....thanks to Taro for the Holy Trinity reference, and Jo has Murray nailed in my opinion.

This is a pretty positive day. For those that wanted guys outside of the Sabres to come in....check. I figured Dudley and Botterill were a good combo given the propensity to hire old Sabres. Patrick and Murray bring the exact same skill and people set, but in a different combo. You have the guy that has been around and has seen it all, and has plenty of contacts. You have a guy who is a workhorse and wants no part of the limelight, and who eats sleeps and breathes hockey and evaluation.

When I see Tim Murray, I see a mini-me of John Butler from the Bills. Butler was more smiley with the media and fans, but make

Looks like you have "multi-quote" down pretty well.

Feels awesome for once to have an open checkbook like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder to make whatever you want to happen, happen

Doesn't it?

Good: We should build a hotel and a parking garage across the street.

Better: With a bar to watch games.

Pegula: WITH TWO ###### ICE RINKS ON TOP!

Good: We should replace our head coach and GM.

Better: With some good honest names in Sabres history, like LaFontaine and Nolan.

Pegula: AND THAT GUY FROM MIRACLE!

When I see Tim Murray, I see a mini-me of John Butler from the Bills. Butler was more smiley with the media and fans, but make no mistake...when the cameras were off, he was in the office smoking a carton of Marlboros and eating a bucket of wings while pouring over every little detail of the player evaluation game. He was gruff, but had a huge heart and wanted nothing more than to be right and have a champion.

I think a major concern has been resolved. If anyone is worried Pegula may want to meddle...Murray does not seem to have the social skills to allow that. He was smart enough to throw a "We want to be positive" in there in the press conference, but I think Patty gave him the briefing and between those 2 guys..there will be no Dan Snyderesque interference.

It was also great to hear Patrick wanted in because of PLF. Who knows..he may have been on the table 3 years ago, but now that Pegula has seen what "I can work with him" gets you....everyone has a better understanding of what needs to be done to build a winner. I also saw a bit of a Patty smile when they were asked if they knew each other was coming on board.....it's that "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" that a guy with the charm and ability PLF has can pull off. The good news is Patrick is probably more than willing to be the advisor and Murray the workhorse. That's why this should work.

My guess is that Murray does have other coaches in mind, but understands the situation here and is fine with Nolan given the track record. It also sounds like he was briefed Miller probably wants out and it's his job to get a decent return if possible. By having Devine at the presser, it's also a vote of confidence in the nearterm as Murray needs his input on who is in the pipeline if moves are made.

All in all....this would have been a great day 3 years ago, but at least it shows that a learning curve and commitment is involved with ownership. As far as future results go....the meshing should get you to a B+. I don't know if PLF can provide the comic relief to keep Murray loose enough....but if he can, then maybe you have a shot at an A. I can't see this being a disaster however.

Looks like you have "multi-quote" down pretty well.

WTF.....I need a drink......

Doesn't it?

Good: We should build a hotel and a parking garage across the street.

Better: With a bar to watch games.

Pegula: WITH TWO ###### ICE RINKS ON TOP!

Good: We should replace our head coach and GM.

Better: With some good honest names in Sabres history, like LaFontaine and Nolan.

Pegula: AND THAT GUY FROM MIRACLE!

Perfect!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.