[OT] Paul Wieland: King of Shenanigans

That Aud Smell

Terrific write-up on Wieland at the Sports on Earth blog.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66322718/

I knew some of these stories, but others I'd missed.

And it's funny. I was of an age in the 70s and 80s where I never really understood that Wieland was a complete and total nutter.

Terrific write-up on Wieland at the Sports on Earth blog.

http://www.sportsone...ticle/66322718/

I knew some of these stories, but others I'd missed.

And it's funny. I was of an age in the 70s and 80s where I never really understood that Wieland was a complete and total nutter.

Spoken in his best Arthur Carlson voice: 'with God as my witness, I thought the Sabres were America's team.' :doh:

One of my favorite Wieland bits was when he occasionally interviewed "Pierre Puck" between periods on Sabres' broadcasts. Pierre was actually WKBW DJ Danny Neaverth wearing a hockey helmet and speaking in a pseudo-French-Canadian accent. Danny and Paul took turns cracking each other up most of the time. The NBC Sports Network could use some of that frivolity in it's intermission broadcasts. Keith Jones and (especially) Mike Milbury take themselves waaaay too seriously.

Good thing the internet didn't exist then. Not only could have someone fact checked the pick but the fans would tear apart any GM who wasted a "valuable 11th rd pick" on a prank.

PTR

Do you open every new thread with the intention of posting that you think the fans are too stupid/negative for your taste? You truly are the Cal Ripken Jr. of this board -- we can count on you to post the same single sentiment in 2600+ consecutive threads regardless of the topic. Way to go, Iron Man.

And extra kudos for taking to the internet to complain about the people on the internet. Every day.

Do you open every new thread with the intention of posting that you think the fans are too stupid/negative for your taste? You truly are the Cal Ripken Jr. of this board -- we can count on you to post the same single sentiment in 2600+ consecutive threads regardless of the topic. Way to go, Iron Man.

And extra kudos for taking to the internet to complain about the people on the internet. Every day.

Some people on the internet just love to complain about some people who love to complain on the internet,

I rest my case.

One of my favorite Wieland bits was when he occasionally interviewed "Pierre Puck" between periods on Sabres' broadcasts. Pierre was actually WKBW DJ Danny Neaverth wearing a hockey helmet and speaking in a pseudo-French-Canadian accent. Danny and Paul took turns cracking each other up most of the time. The NBC Sports Network could use some of that frivolity in it's intermission broadcasts. Keith Jones and (especially) Mike Milbury take themselves waaaay too seriously.

A coworker bumped into long-retired sportswriter Jim Taylor (a legendary columnist for the Vancouver Sun and Province) this weekend.

Taylor told him the biggest problem with sportswriting these days is nobody tries to make people laugh.

It's all being first with the latest rumour, second-guessing management types and arguing with readers on Twitter.

Instead of enjoying John Scott mugging for the camera in his fur coat and cracking wise on Phaneuf, we get hand-wringing about him being a brainless thug.

We need more Hoppy.

Sports is supposed to be fun.

A coworker bumped into long-retired sportswriter Jim Taylor (a legendary columnist for the Vancouver Sun and Province) this weekend.

Taylor told him the biggest problem with sportswriting these days is nobody tries to make people laugh.

It's all being first with the latest rumour, second-guessing management types and arguing with readers on Twitter.

Instead of enjoying John Scott mugging for the camera in his fur coat and cracking wise on Phaneuf, we get hand-wringing about him being a brainless thug.

We need more Hoppy.

Sports is supposed to be fun.

Most certainly.

The point is that you do is in every thread, seemingly every day.

Any explanation? Is it really that important of a point to make - either for you to get off your chest or for us to see over and over?

Just for fun go to his profile and search for his content. Complaining about complaining is what he brings.

The point is that you do is in every thread, seemingly every day.

Any explanation? Is it really that important of a point to make - either for you to get off your chest or for us to see over and over?

Just for fun go to his profile and search for his content. Complaining about complaining is what he brings.

I guess I do complain about complaining a lot. Maybe because a lot of what I see is silly, blown out of proportion and at times contradicts what was posted earlier.

I mean do you not think someone who have a cow if the Sabres did a prank draft pick, even if there was still an 11th round? Especially is DR did it? Am I off base here?

Internet forums like this are for complaining. Am I breaching protocol by complaining about it? Is there an 11th commandment that states thou shalt not mock people pitching a snit?

PTR

I guess I do complain about complaining a lot. Maybe because a lot of what I see is silly, blown out of proportion and at times contradicts what was posted earlier.

I mean do you not think someone who have a cow if the Sabres did a prank draft pick, even if there was still an 11th round? Especially is DR did it? Am I off base here?

Internet forums like this are for complaining. Am I breaching protocol by complaining about it? Is there an 11th commandment that states thou shalt not mock people pitching a snit?

PTR

No. I just wanted you to admit to the hypocrisy of constantly pitching a snit about others pitching snits. ;)

The observation of 'ZOMG, what would happen if Wieland or whomever did something like this today? Twitter would a-splode' seems to miss the point that Wieland himself made in the write-up (assuming PTR, et al. read it): There was a lot less money in play back the and consequently a lot more freedom and a good deal less gotcha-scrutiny.

But, also, yeah: Wieland would never get away with that stuff nowadays because Internet.

Might an independent pro baseball team or an arena football franchise 'get away' with such hijinx nowadays? Quite possibly.

That story is the perfect example of why today's society sucks.. we are too serious. People need to lighten up, get thicker skin, and enjoy life. Now we all strive for numbers. It's all about numbers. Someone run some advanced stats on the FUN FACTOR.

Now that's the stat I am up for. This should not be confused with the "Attempt to be completely vulgar and classless and moronic factor". That's also ruining society. Let's see if we can shock someone.. no? Try harder!

Archived