[OT] Paul Wieland: King of Shenanigans

That Aud Smell

As good a friend I consider Paul to be (he's a professor but has become a definite friend over the last four years), I've never read his book.

I do know that he loves Rick according to the discussions I've had with Paul in person.

In my discussions with Rick's wife there does seem to be a bit of animosity there, though.

The guy that Rick replaced (name slips my mind) has an extreme level of inner hate for Rick clearly ha. I asked a question about Rick's type of broadcast when he visited one of our courses and he said that there is no place for a RJ type in today's broadcast standards and said that he talks way too much for television. Which obviously comes from the fact that RJ started on the radio and knows his broadcasts are still played on the radio.

Paul said that they once had a bet that Rick couldn't down six pounders during a broadcast and Rick did it with no problem at all. The stories he always tells me seem to show a soft spot for the old friend. Not sure what was said in the book.

As good a friend I consider Paul to be (he's a professor but has become a definite friend over the last four years), I've never read his book.

I do know that he loves Rick according to the discussions I've had with Paul in person.

In my discussions with Rick's wife there does seem to be a bit of animosity there, though.

The guy that Rick replaced (name slips my mind) has an extreme level of inner hate for Rick clearly ha. I asked a question about Rick's type of broadcast when he visited one of our courses and he said that there is no place for a RJ type in today's broadcast standards and said that he talks way too much for television. Which obviously comes from the fact that RJ started on the radio and knows his broadcasts are still played on the radio.

Paul said that they once had a bet that Rick couldn't down six pounders during a broadcast and Rick did it with no problem at all. The stories he always tells me seem to show a soft spot for the old friend. Not sure what was said in the book.

Rick replaced? John Gurtler? Dave Hodge?

OK, so in his book "Then Perreault Said to Rico…" (The Best Buffalo Sabres Stories Ever Told), Paul has a chapter devoted to Ted and quite a few references to him sprinkled throughout the book. He mentions Rick twice (and one of the references is about Rick's propensity for drinking during a broadcast, hardly a compliment).

"(Darling) was at his best as a play-by-play man because he worked essentially as a journalist, not as a shill for the team that employed him or as a hype artist who sounded as if his pants were much too tight. … those announcers who sound like every pass and shot is spectacular soon wear out the listener's ear. They are fundamentally dishonest. … Ted didn't have to hype what you saw before you, and in fact, hyping television calls of hockey games is so offensive it isn't even funny."

You can say I'm reading too much into it, and it's not about Rick, but come on, Wieland is a seasoned, professional communicator. If it's not about Rick, he should be drummed out of St. Bonaventure's communications department. What a fine way to honor Ted — by tearing down Rick.

Rick himself refuses to be referred to as The Voice of the Sabres, because he reserves that title for Ted in perpetuity. But Rick is the voice of the Sabres, and any book about the Sabres should respect that fact, and Rick, no matter what the author's personal grudge might be. Wieland's handling of Jeanneret in this book is, appropriately, another in a line of his shenanigans.

OK, so in his book "Then Perreault Said to Rico…" (The Best Buffalo Sabres Stories Ever Told), Paul has a chapter devoted to Ted and quite a few references to him sprinkled throughout the book. He mentions Rick twice (and one of the references is about Rick's propensity for drinking during a broadcast, hardly a compliment).

"(Darling) was at his best as a play-by-play man because he worked essentially as a journalist, not as a shill for the team that employed him or as a hype artist who sounded as if his pants were much too tight. … those announcers who sound like every pass and shot is spectacular soon wear out the listener's ear. They are fundamentally dishonest. … Ted didn't have to hype what you saw before you, and in fact, hyping television calls of hockey games is so offensive it isn't even funny."

You can say I'm reading too much into it, and it's not about Rick, but come on, Wieland is a seasoned, professional communicator. If it's not about Rick, he should be drummed out of St. Bonaventure's communications department. What a fine way to honor Ted — by tearing down Rick.

Rick himself refuses to be referred to as The Voice of the Sabres, because he reserves that title for Ted in perpetuity. But Rick is the voice of the Sabres, and any book about the Sabres should respect that fact, and Rick, no matter what the author's personal grudge might be. Wieland's handling of Jeanneret in this book is, appropriately, another in a line of his shenanigans.

I never got the feeling reading his book that this section was about RJ. I think the distinction is more Doc Emerick vs RJ.

I always thought RJ executed the rise and fall of play well, not needlessly sensational at all.

OK, great. Can this guy just go away now? I won't soon forgive the big old dump he took on Rick Jeanneret in his book.

Meh.

Rick's a fine talent and has given us some great calls, but he's just a man.

I don't know Wieland from Adam, but it matters little to me if Wieland and Jeanneret didn't get along and if the former thought the latter had become a shill and a caricature of his past incarnation.

FWIW, I think there's a solid argument to be made about RJ's having over-done things and intentionally branded his own homer wackiness, likely at the prodding of the team's business managers.

It would appear that Wieland took umbrage at that development.

But, again, whatever.

I don't think that's about RJ by any means. In talking with Wieland face to face for hours and hours I get the impression that he still holds RJ as a close friend and respects his work. He often mentions how he wishes there were more RJ types as far as his passion goes, and he constantly mentions how nobody captures the momentum of a game like he does. He even says how he's noticed that RJ's excitement has gone down with the production of the team which he feels is appropriate in portraying the situation to the fans.

I can't tell you who that section is about right now, but I'll go ahead and ask him and get back to you guys.

EDIT: he got back to me and had this to offer...

"No specific guys, though Mike Emerick and the guy who does the Panthers certainly qualify.

RJ is and was a very special case. His hockey knowledge is impeccable, and he is no homer. I worked alongside him for years and I guess because I count him as a friend, his over the top stuff usually made me smile. He's a screamer, but not an aggressive one, in my humble opinion."

Good stuff, DStebb.

Although it's interesting that Wieland wasn't more unequivocal in dismissing the issue -- with the talk of RJ being a friend, a screamer, a special case.

I'll stand by my analysis above, since it assumes PA's gripe is based on an accurate reading of the subtext in Wieland's book.

Good stuff, DStebb.

Although it's interesting that Wieland wasn't more unequivocal in dismissing the issue -- with the talk of RJ being a friend, a screamer, a special case.

I'll stand by my analysis above, since it assumes PA's gripe is based on an accurate reading of the subtext in Wieland's book.

He didn't really have anything to "dismiss" as I quickly constructed the message to him just to see who he says it was about. I didn't mention that a poster on here was up in arms that Paul may have insulted RJ. I just mentioned that somebody wondered if it was about RJ.

So I think it's safe to say that the perceived issue with RJ isn't there.

Archived