Mark Pysyk

Doohickie

Ehrhoff best overall defenseman, I'll grant that. But in terms of defensive positioning, instincts and execution, I think Pysyk is the best.

Pysyk has played well this year. I'm not sure I'm ready to label anyone on this team as "best" at anything though. But I like how he's looked.

Is he the best defensive defenseman on the team right now?

Discuss.

Saying he's the best defensive defensman on this team isn't saying much, but i would say i would agree with that up until his recent struggles. Ever since the Ducks came to Buffalo, in which he was paired with Zadorov i believe, he never recovered and i don't think he has been very good since.

In the last two, he has looked much better but i know before the bombshell they were even discussing it on WGR that maybe its time to sit him?

Nothing wrong with having a Darryl Shannon.

Not at all. he seems like a 10-12 year quality guy you can plug in and be ok both ways.

The kid seems good spirited and smart. I just hope he gets a little more confidence in his body and works guys over a little more. I don't expect a bulldozer, just take a little initiative.

Nothing wrong with having a Darryl Shannon.

Absolutely.

We have some good young players in our system but the kind of player we really seem to be missing, and even down our pipeline is a Brent Seabrook type. Punishing d-men, not in it for the stats, not flashy, just a guy who does everything well and can cover any NHLer.

He takes good angles and is sound positionally, but he is far from a finished product. He reminds me a lot of Darryl Shannon. Probably tops out at a #3-5. Nice player to have though.

He is not Darryl Shannon. He skates much better. He will become a much bigger offensive threat once the forwards and the rest of the team improves. He is a 40 to 50 assist guy waiting to happen. Its too early to tell but I see a Teppo in the making.

He takes good angles and is sound positionally, but he is far from a finished product. He reminds me a lot of Darryl Shannon. Probably tops out at a #3-5. Nice player to have though.

Fair except...

He is not Darryl Shannon. He skates much better. He will become a much bigger offensive threat once the forwards and the rest of the team improves. He is a 40 to 50 assist guy waiting to happen. Its too early to tell but I see a Teppo in the making.

Webster is bang on about the skating, Shannon could never skate half that well. 40 assists is a stretch, but he does have 40 point upside. His poise as a rookie is amazing. Numminen is a great comparison.

Defensive scoring is so heavily influenced by the ability of the forwards to be in position to screen, deflect, and bury rebounds. This team is not good at this at the moment. In fact, the forwards get so little respect that teams don't feel the need to collapse their wingers down as far as the Sabres do to help cover the low areas. This leaves less time for the defense to maneuver and make plays at the blueline.

That said, Pysyk makes routinely smart plays. He's rarely out of position. He gets his shot through the first pair of legs.

He's going to turn out far better than we think at this point I believe.

Defensive scoring is so heavily influenced by the ability of the forwards to be in position to screen, deflect, and bury rebounds. This team is not good at this at the moment. In fact, the forwards get so little respect that teams don't feel the need to collapse their wingers down as far as the Sabres do to help cover the low areas. This leaves less time for the defense to maneuver and make plays at the blueline.

That said, Pysyk makes routinely smart plays. He's rarely out of position. He gets his shot through the first pair of legs.

He's going to turn out far better than we think at this point I believe.

Doug Bodger 2.0

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.