Mark Pysyk

Doohickie

Pysyk a plus/minus -3 tonight. And -9 in his last 8 games.

Yup and the Sabres have scored 2.25goals per game in the last 8 and I didn't take in to account PP or Even Strength Goals. Pysyk is fine but his d partner and the forwards he plays with have contributed mightily to that +/-

I think what we have seen is that the fanbase which was clinging onto Myers as being the franchise defenseman, have given up hope early this year and needed to elevate someone beyond actual performance in the name of hope.

Just the fact that someone suggested a trade for a probable top 5 pick shows this. In reality, you could probbaly get a 2nd and a middling prospect for Pysyk.

The kid needs some hair on his chest and stewing in the crock pot. I like him, but be realistic.

I'm not in the camp that is head over heels with. I'm often left wondering what others see in him. Me, I see a bigger Rhuedel and I'm not impressed with him. So that speaks for itself I guess unless you are also in the camp of those that think Chad Rheudil or whatever is going to be an NHL d man. I don't. Darcy did. He's not here anymore.

I am. Now mind you I'm not saying that he doesn't have a role. He does. He is pretty slick at moving the puck up. I like that. But with our forwards who are loathe to backcheck to the net to help the D out, that means I need someone who clears the net out on their own.

God Speed Nikita. We need you back at full man! Soon!

Pysyk is doing just fine. It's the over all team play that hurts the D +/-. This team has no sustainable offensive zone presence, let alone pressure. The team, in it's roster entirety, is learning defensive hockey and not doing well at it I might add.

Player changes aren't needed, attitude, competitive environment, the will to go above and beyond and skill set training are needed however.

It was a mistake to send Risto and Zadorov down in my opinion. It does nothing for their NHL experience levels and actually sets the rebuild back IMHO. Build from the net out, we shouldn't be worried about these 2 players ability to grasp the rebuild time line, I believe they fully understood it.

Pysyk, although young, is getting that training in the NHL. We'll be fine on the blue line regardless. What this team needs is elite forward talent, and not just on lines 1 and 2, but 3 as well.

Pysyk is doing just fine. It's the over all team play that hurts the D +/-. This team has no sustainable offensive zone presence, let alone pressure. The team, in it's roster entirety, is learning defensive hockey and not doing well at it I might add.

Player changes aren't needed, attitude, competitive environment, the will to go above and beyond and skill set training are needed however.

It was a mistake to send Risto and Zadorov down in my opinion. It does nothing for their NHL experience levels and actually sets the rebuild back IMHO. Build from the net out, we shouldn't be worried about these 2 players ability to grasp the rebuild time line, I believe they fully understood it.

Pysyk, although young, is getting that training in the NHL. We'll be fine on the blue line regardless. What this team needs is elite forward talent, and not just on lines 1 and 2, but 3 as well.

I completely disagree for a number of reasons and even if they did understand how the rebuild timeline was set, that doesn't mean an 18 and a 19year old should be in the NHL. Not to mention Zadorov has only played 7 NHL games so he was sitting more than anything, not getting much experience at anything there. Ristolainen on the other I believe needs time to adjust to the NA game. He was okay but Zadorov and Risto could be really good if given the opportunity to develop properly. Even if having those two helps us win an extra 4-5 games this year it isn't worth it when they can be where they are and log TONS of ice time.

Pysyk is 3years older and has worked in Juniors and in the AHL so he is far more adjusted to the NHL and is at the level where NHL experience is exactly what he needs. Comparing almost 22yr old Pysyk to 18yr old Zadorov and 19yr old Ristolainen is crazy especially considering if Risto and Zadorov are developed properly, they should surpass Pysyk.

I am sorry to sound so harsh but I can't understand how being 18 in the NHL and getting 11minutes a night helps a guy when he can get 25minutes a night 1 league down. Experience at any level is what these kids need and DR warped us into thinking we need everyone we draft in the 1st round in the NHL NOW. The truth is that is wrong and not the way to build a franchise. I'd guess dropping those two down actually speeds up the rebuild.

Remember when Roy, Miller, Pominville, Vanek all got to spend an entire season in the AHL because of the lockout? That was good for them. They all didn't fit on the same team in the end (mostly because none are true #1 centers) but they learned and grew. 18yr old kids are not mentally mature enough with only a few exceptions to make it in the NHL. The sending down of all those guys is probably the best thing outside of firing Regier that has happened this season.

I think what we have seen is that the fanbase which was clinging onto Myers as being the franchise defenseman, have given up hope early this year and needed to elevate someone beyond actual performance in the name of hope.

Just the fact that someone suggested a trade for a probable top 5 pick shows this. In reality, you could probbaly get a 2nd and a middling prospect for Pysyk.

The kid needs some hair on his chest and stewing in the crock pot. I like him, but be realistic.

Fans have suggested awful trades since the dawn of man. The only thing that is a sign of is stupidity.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick check shows that the entire Sabres' current defensive corps is in minus territory, with the exceptions of Sulzer and McNabb, who are at 0. Myers, the "offensive" defensman is a -11 and Weber is a -15. At -9, Pysyk doesn't look so bad. (Also, to be fair, the Sabre forwards are also mostly in the minus figures. It's hard to be a +1 when no one is scoring goals).

Actually, the best thing you can say about Pysyk is that you don't really notice him on the ice. He doesn't make flashy plays or extended rushes in the offensive zone, but he's not out of position very often and doesn't make glaring mistakes - for the most part (well, none worse than any other Sabres' defenseman).

Pysyk reminds me of a better-skating Chris Butler (who is playing very well in Calgary BTW). Not physical, not going to add much of anything on the offensive end, but sound positionally and doesn't make a lot of mistakes (the anti-Myers in that regard).

It is easy to forget Pysyk is still a rookie this year. I think he'll develop a bit more offensive game with time.

• 2 weeks later...

The inference seems pretty clear. PLF and Nolan are all-in on allowing the younger guys to have a normal (even conservative) development track, to the greatest extent possible. The judgment seems to be that Regier's (and Rolston's?) decision to run the Sabres like an exalted AHL team was the wrong one. Seems to me that we will continue to see an influx of serviceable, competent NHL players whose ceilings are known and/or far more limited than those of the prospects, but whose games are nonetheless more NHL-ready.

The inference seems pretty clear. PLF and Nolan are all-in on allowing the younger guys to have a normal (even conservative) development track, to the greatest extent possible. The judgment seems to be that Regier's (and Rolston's?) decision to run the Sabres like an exalted AHL team was the wrong one. Seems to me that we will continue to see an influx of serviceable, competent NHL players whose ceilings are known and/or far more limited than those of the prospects, but whose games are nonetheless more NHL-ready.

I think it is as simply as them giving just about as many people as possible a shot with the big club. If there is anyone else down in Rochester who they consider to be potential NHL bodies, they are going to give them their cup of tea. They need to evaluate as many guys as possible and its not like calling up the random guy here or there is going to suddenly change the outcome of the season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.