Bury the Pegula Hatchet

I am Defecting

I follow you...

The good thing about Lafontaine is that he left NY after a month because he couldn't handle Wang. (I know...I know...)

Having gone through that episode, I hope he'd be a bit more cautious in his dealings. My guess is that Lafontaine feels he can deal with a little bit of Terry's cra-cra and feels he will be allowed to do his job. If Lafontaine jumps ship in the next year or so....then we panic.

I agree with this post 100% except for the "cra-cra" usage, as to which I will emphatically observe that a grown man should NOT be using the same lingo that is used by my 10-year-old daughter and her friends.

Edited by nfreeman

I worry still... I like Pegula. He seems like he cares and he wants to win. What concerns me is how this all got started. 10 Days prior they met LaFontaine for Dinner during some league meeting. During the course of that T-Pegs is all drooling over LaFontaine and asks if he could be a GM (obviously thinking for the Sabres). That indicates to me that Terry was thinking of making the change but may have only made it because he was all nostalgic... This could be entirely wrong but the timing is odd for the whole thing. I think a change was coming but I think it happened the way it did because LaFontaine was available.

That being said, La Fontaine said he wasn't qualified to be GM which indicates he is a smart man who knows his limits and has no problem saying NO to Terry. Glad the change was made and something about having LaFontaine seems right.

I get the image of Uncle Terry as a dim bulb who is in way over his head running a professional hockey team. Just read his quotes...he sounds like someone who's had a lobotomy. He just doesn't know what he is doing. After all this failure since he took ownership, how could he offer the GM position to an inexperienced guy who knew he wasn't even qualified for the position? Didn't Terry know too? I could just see him getting all teary eyed and sentimental assembling his fantasy Sabres dream team in his plastic bubble where unicorns and rainbows all come neatly tied up in a pink ribbon.

I'm glad that there is now a layer between Terry and the GM, and that that layer has a lot more hockey knowledge. It may have been a bad thing for Patty to be GM and perhaps Terry got lucky that he was smart enough to know that, but the fact is that Patty is now the one that will hire the next GM. I am far more confident that he will get it right than I would be if Terry were making the decision. When Terry took over, I wanted him to gather a committee of guys like Pat Lafontaine and empower them to hire his next GM. This is close enough, even if way, way late.

I'm glad that there is now a layer between Terry and the GM, and that that layer has a lot more hockey knowledge. It may have been a bad thing for Patty to be GM and perhaps Terry got lucky that he was smart enough to know that, but the fact is that Patty is now the one that will hire the next GM. I am far more confident that he will get it right than I would be if Terry were making the decision. When Terry took over, I wanted him to gather a committee of guys like Pat Lafontaine and empower them to hire his next GM. This is close enough, even if way, way late.

Good post.

I think Terry has seen the light so to speak. He did what he said he would do and gave DR a good shot to get things right but with a fan base that was crying for change he had to pull the trigger. This goes a long way for me in showing he is serious about his promise to the people of Buffalo that the ultimate goal is the cup first and foremost. I commend him for making what for him was probably a tough decision. GO SABRES !

Especially considering Pegula is eating a lot of money unless there are buyout clauses in Regier and Rolstons contract...he obviously means it when he said money is no obstacle

Thanks dudacek! I wasn't sure if the donkey metaphor had any legs. Pronto, Burro! Onwards! Hyah! Hyah!

Burro ensured me we'd make it in three years, but that was two years ago. At this rate, I'm not sure that I can trust him to get me there in seven. Get up, now, Burro! Get! Get!

I've got a cell phone, with a solar charger, so I've been trying to schedule the necessary meetings, and make the necessary arrangements, en-route. Needless to say, Donkey has not been entirely cooperative. His latest misbehavior is sit down on his haunches, forcing me to dismount, refusing to move forward. And he just keeps repeating the odd mantra: "There's no emperor, Yuri, no emperor, Yuri, nope, nope, no emperor, Yuri." My burro's gone mental!

It's the Empire State, donkey!!, George freaking Washington coined that, and he had a proper horse!! If you don't want this hatchet buried in your backside, you better Get! Get!! Hyah! Hyah!!

"I'm a people's burro, Yuri, ask anyone I've worked with, burro of the people, people's burro..." "There's no emperor, Yuri, no emperor.."

Arrrrrrrghhh!!!

:wallbash:

Yuri: seek help.

Yuri: seek help.

All's well in my head, 716. It is actually my fingers at fault for doing the typing. They have a mind of their own sometimes. They consider this a safe place, where they can act out their little fantasies in concert. Get the 10 of them together, and it's like the monkeys are ruining the asylum.

It's actually my own fault for not keeping them on shorter leashes. I'll have a stern word with them, and let them know that their silly outbursts will no longer be tolerated. :( Time to reign it in, boys, or it's back to the circus with you! :angry:

There! I think that settled them.

So, I figure the Sabres are out of playoff contention this year, but can still make a respectable showing. Next year, I think they might be looking at a 7 or 8 seed. I'm hoping Nolan stays on with a new GM.

Edited by Yuri Olesha

I'm quite pleased that there is now a hockey guy overseeing the GM.

Pat may not know how to be a GM, but he knows enough about hockey to know if he's being fed a bucket of shinola. He's passionate and will do a great job on the schmoozing side of being the boss. Here's to hoping he gets the GM right. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he will.

I'm even tolerant of you, now, grinreaper. You actually seem funny to me now.

You should take your political stuff elsewhere. If you want to do anything other than a drive-by, post your political stuff in a forum designed for that. How much balls does it take to debate stuff where you are anonymous? Take your snide "fracking" references to PPP and keep them from here.

Thanks dudacek! I wasn't sure if the donkey metaphor had any legs. Pronto, Burro! Onwards! Hyah! Hyah!

Burro ensured me we'd make it in three years, but that was two years ago. At this rate, I'm not sure that I can trust him to get me there in seven. Get up, now, Burro! Get! Get!

I've got a cell phone, with a solar charger, so I've been trying to schedule the necessary meetings, and make the necessary arrangements, en-route. Needless to say, Donkey has not been entirely cooperative. His latest misbehavior is sit down on his haunches, forcing me to dismount, refusing to move forward. And he just keeps repeating the odd mantra: "There's no emperor, Yuri, no emperor, Yuri, nope, nope, no emperor, Yuri." My burro's gone mental!

It's the Empire State, donkey!!, George freaking Washington coined that, and he had a proper horse!! If you don't want this hatchet buried in your backside, you better Get! Get!! Hyah! Hyah!!

"I'm a people's burro, Yuri, ask anyone I've worked with, burro of the people, people's burro..." "There's no emperor, Yuri, no emperor.."

Arrrrrrrghhh!!!

:wallbash:

Your Donkey has never seen a Penguin?

For shame.

"What then is the Sun? There is nothing in my human life that could have been managed, without the participation of the Sun, be that participation overt or hidden, actual or metaphoric. Whatever I have done, wherever I have gone, whether asleep, awake, or in darkness. Whether as a young man, or an old one, I have always been on the tip of a sunbeam"

Farewell, friends.

"What then is the Sun? There is nothing in my human life that could have been managed, without the participation of the Sun, be that participation overt or hidden, actual or metaphoric. Whatever I have done, wherever I have gone, whether asleep, awake, or in darkness. Whether as a young man, or an old one, I have always been on the tip of a sunbeam"

Farewell, friends.

Yuri. Where ya goin ?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.