Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

The other unspoken part of this rebuild is the cap space being created.

It's going to take at least a year or two before they will capitalize, but the Sabres are going to be in a position to take advantage of other team's cap issues moving forward - they'll have the room, the will and the prospects to offer.

They may have to overpay for a few free agents next summer just to reach the floor.

In those few years won't we need to start paying our prospects in order to keep them though? That is assuming they amount to be as talented as we all hope they are.

Indeed, Yakupov + 1st + prospect for miller and moulson

Also this is a very good time for hodgson to proove his "worth" without thomas vanek. Same goes for moulson without Tavares i guess.

Yakupov and Grigs on the same line? The Russian 5-year plan or two players who'd only be lazier if we threw Stafford on that line?

I am sad because i really loved TV. He could have been a legend in 6-8 years with a lot of Sabres related records.

But on the other hand he did not want to stay for a rebuild. So Moulson a first and a second it is then.

Maybe we are lucky and Moulson playing style fits somehow, hopefully he has the right mindset and is a worker kind of player. Many of his goals are dirty goals so this maybe a sign for that.

When he has some chemistry and plays well, i am open to resign him or to trade him elsewhere. If not just trade him away on the deadline.

Sad. Thomas Vanek was one of the biggest reasons I "chose" the Sabres when I started watching hockey more seriously, so to say I'm sad that his time as a Sabre has come to an end is an understatement. Seems like that's happening a lot to my favorite players lately.

But I guess it's for the best. And I guess the writing was on the wall. I always thought we'd get rid of Miller before we got rid of Vanek, but maybe Miller will be gone too soon enough now. The deal seems pretty decent, I guess. I imagine we'll flip Moulson at some point as well, but I'm not sure what we could get in return for him.

I'd love to start using some of these picks to acquire NHL talent. There are only so many picks someone can have. After that, it starts to be too much. Use assets to acquire proven talent. If we're gonna trade Miller, then Miller/Moulson/one of these picks for someone good? Who might be available? Hm.

This trade is awesome. 1st and 2nd Round pick plus Moulson for Vanek?... Man Darcy is doing a lot wrong, but he does ###### up other GM's in trades. That trade is fantastic for Buffalo.

Scenario A) We keep Moulson

We keep Moulson, Lose Vanek and add 2 good Draftpicks. Buffalo Wins

Scenario B) We trade Moulson at the Deadline.

That's Basically Vanek <-> 1st Round Pick, 2nd Round Pick and maybe another 1st or 2nd Round Pick. Buffalo Wins the Deal.

Let's be realistic there is no way that Vanek would have signed here again next summer.

Consider it 2 firsts and a second (after we deal Moulson at the deadline). Not a bad haul for a UFA who supposedly is destined for Minn. A better haul than was gotten for Rick Nash, right?

I'm also betting Terry is paying a large amount of Vanek's salary to maximize the benefit.

I am not fan of Rieger, non whatsoever. If however, the Sabres were to receive a 1st, a 2nd in 2015 and Moulson + clear slaray cap space with this deal, then so be it. Rieger handcuffed himself by not trading Vanek or Miller prior to this year, so something is bvetter than Vanel just walking.

Regardless, Rieger has to definitely go and sooner the better.

Edited by Chester Springs Rich

This is a sad day in Sabres history. Vanek is one of the most talented Sabres of all-time and to have this team driven so far into the ground where trading a player like Vanek becomes a necessity is frustrating.

The return is OK, A year or two ago if you said Vanek would fetch only two draft picks and a pending UFA likely to be a rental I think fans would go nuts. Where the Sabres are now, you just have to hope that Vanek does not a positive effect on the islanders and those picks have maximum value.

I think many picks within this collection of picks will be moved for young assets or youngish players in their prime that are capable of stepping in and contributing right away. The rebuild may not take as long as some have projected.

I understand what you are trying to say, it just really doesn't make sense to me. A team that could possibly be looking to acquire picks isn't likely to move "young assets or youngish players in their prime that are capable of stepping in and contributing right away." Teams will do what most do and what the Sabres are doing, move veteran big ticket players in exchange for picks. Teams looking to rebuild usually don't start by selling assets with long range potential.

1. His first rebuild was nowhere near this scale.

2. His first rebuild was on a leash. I would expect another home to be much better quality when the builder is allowed to do as he pleases to make it right no matter the cost.

But, we've been over this several times.

Yeah, and the answers still still quite weak, and come across as "spin" by those defending Regier. There is no team in the NHL where the imprint of the GM is stronger upon it than the current Sabres.

You know who must be really depressed today? Ryan Miller - for the time being, he's still stuck here on this train wreck of Regier's.

Sabres need scoring period. It's good to get a Moulson who's a triggerman himself but there are concerns about any player on the wrong side of 30. Hate to be pessimistic but I don't see him returning next year either. He likes it on the NYI and I can see him going back there. Imagine, what a concept. A player actually resigning for anything other than money.

I can't say this trade energizes Sabre Nation but it's with a sigh of relief that the Sabres don't get stuck empty-handed after the season. Vanek surely wouldn't have returned and I expected Regier to just let the contract expire while a Sabre. So that is good.

That said Buffalo hasn't had any luck drafting scorers and this is a supposedly weak draft year...

Edited by 716

Jeebus -- this squad could challenge for all-time lowest goals for.

They were already challenging for that with Vanek. :)

So, my son, the ever witty 9 year old hockey nut's response when I told him this morning: "So, they traded #26 for #26?"

Hah.. hadn't even thought about that. Assuming Moulson wears 26 because he likes that number then I'm guessing if he's in the lineup tonight (which I assume he would be) there will still be a #26 but just a different name on the back. Strange.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Moulson hadn't signed a deal with the Isles either. So even though he supposedly LOVED playing with Tavares he wasn't willing to sign a deal to keep playing there. Also, Moulson could end up signing with the Isles next year as well. That's the thing with UFAs.

I think this is a good trade, they had to move Vanek now so a team could get benefit.

I will add this: Getting a mid-round (and potentially a lottery-eligible) 1st and a 2nd, and a guy who could fetch a first or perhaps a pair of seconds (a la Regehr?) from a playoff-bound team, is quite a haul for a pending UFA who's all but declared his intentions of playing in Minnesota next year.

Now, if only Regier could be trusted to build a team via the draft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.