Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I am not counting on McDavid next year as at best we have a 25% chance of drafting him. That being said I noticed in the ISS October rankings 1 player who I am very interested in has moved up the list. Anton Karlsson. He is climbing boards all over and I think may end up a top 5 guy come June. For me he is just outside the 3 guys I referred to in previous posts but Depending on what i can watch of his game this next month he may edge up.

2 important things to remember on Karlsson: 1) He was born in August of 96 meaning he is one of the youngest players in the this draft. The cutoff I believe is September 15th 1996 so he is young and good. 2) He plays in the Swedish J20 SuperElite and has 9g 7a for 16pts in 16gp. The kid is playing really well considering he is 17 and I would love to see him in a Sabres jersey. Also he plays a solid 2way game.

Good to know I'm not the only one drooling over Karlsson. Really like his overall game.

Good to know I'm not the only one drooling over Karlsson. Really like his overall game.

No I noticed him. Wish I had seen more of him but stuff will surface I am sure. If I had to predict the draft I might lean towards Ekblad, Reinhart, Nylander, Karlsson, Draisaitl as your top 5.

O and I am not sure how up to date this is but http://www.behindthe...ting_to_nhl.php shows the projections from AHL and Juniors to the NHL when it comes to scorer. For Canadian Junior Hockey they have points projection at WHL 0.30, OHL 0.30, and QMJHL 0.28

So for example Sam Reinhart is on pace to score 118.59 points this season in the WHL. In the NHL that would translate to 35.577 (40.52 if you go 82 game season) if my math is correct (it is right?)

Edited by LGR4GM

No I noticed him. Wish I had seen more of him but stuff will surface I am sure. If I had to predict the draft I might lean towards Ekblad, Reinhart, Nylander, Karlsson, Draisaitl as your top 5.

I may be slightly biased but if Dal Colle can stay healthy and keep his current pace up I can't see him falling outside of the top 5.

I may be slightly biased but if Dal Colle can stay healthy and keep his current pace up I can't see him falling outside of the top 5.

Yea think of him at 6th right now but Draisaitl could easily drop a spot or something along those lines. Although I don't see the Crosby type talent at the top of this draft I do see a lot of good talent.

A slight note of those of you who have kept up this thread, early I express belief that Dal Colle would go 4-5overall where as here I say 6th. This is due to my own inability to make up my mind and also the variation in information and stats of players as the season goes on. That being said as of right now there is a consensus among scouts that Ekblad, Nylander, and Reinhart are your top 3.

Edited by LGR4GM

Yea think of him at 6th right now but Draisaitl could easily drop a spot or something along those lines. Although I don't see the Crosby type talent at the top of this draft I do see a lot of good talent.

A slight note of those of you who have kept up this thread, early I express belief that Dal Colle would go 4-5overall where as here I say 6th. This is due to my own inability to make up my mind and also the variation in information and stats of players as the season goes on. That being said as of right now there is a consensus among scouts that Ekblad, Nylander, and Reinhart are your top 3.

Really? Maybe there is a newer ISS ranking out there but as of October 14th they had Dal Colle ranked third.

http://www.hockeysfu...ther-prospects/

FYI Draisaitl is ranked 10th in this report.

Edited by Derrico

I don't think there is an consensus third player, but I think there is a consensus that Reinhart and Ekblad are the top two in some order.

From what I have gathered so far, I agree with this assessment. I'm glad the thread started so early; I have a chance to edumacate myself long before the big day!

I think the Sabres are targeting Reinhart and Draisaitl - two centers who fill obvious holes. If they can grab Nylander before Draisaitl, they may, depending on the picks they have in hand.

If the Sabres walked away with Reinhart and one of either Draisaitl or Nylander, would they still want to tank for McDavid? Seems like Reinhart is having a better season so far.

From what I have gathered so far, I agree with this assessment. I'm glad the thread started so early; I have a chance to edumacate myself long before the big day!

I think the Sabres are targeting Reinhart and Draisaitl - two centers who fill obvious holes. If they can grab Nylander before Draisaitl, they may, depending on the picks they have in hand.

If the Sabres walked away with Reinhart and one of either Draisaitl or Nylander, would they still want to tank for McDavid? Seems like Reinhart is having a better season so far.

There is something about Nylander that worries me. I admit to having not seen much footage on him but something about being a 5'10'' winger whom one scout described as 'his defensive game needs some work' just scares me off. With us likely getting a top 3 pick and certainly a top 5 pick I can think of five other guys I'd rather take.

Random thought: if Sam Reinhart or another forward turn out to be the guy want want with our pick then we're pretty much guaranteed to get them if we finish in last. You can only move down one spot in the lottery so we'd get the first or second pick. If we get the first then we pick who we want. If we get the second then whoever is in front of us LIKELY takes Ekblad (at this point).

Ekblad will be ranked higher on some boards, and we're competing with (Edmonton, Philly, Florida) would likely lean more towards a dman with the first pick. Teams at the top of the draft will draft with need in mind because that player will likely play right away.

There is something about Nylander that worries me. I admit to having not seen much footage on him but something about being a 5'10'' winger whom one scout described as 'his defensive game needs some work' just scares me off. With us likely getting a top 3 pick and certainly a top 5 pick I can think of five other guys I'd rather take.

Yea, there's quite a few guys I'd take over Nylander. I think he's going to be a good NHL player, but just not the type of guy we'd want.

Well we likely won't end up with two of those guys because we probably don't pay the price to move up THAT far in a draft that isn't extremely strong at the top. Reinhart, in my opinion, is a legitimate top forward.

I do think that, no matter what, we'll make an effort to tank for McDavid. But so will other teams. It will be harder to be this far apart from other teams at the bottom in 2014. But I tank as much as possible. McDavid is a franchise changer.

Who over Nylander? Nylander's rep, currently, paints a picture of a Vanek-type of player, as far as I read it. But, admittedly, I'm a 2014 draft noob yet.

I think, as it stands, the Sabres need Reinhart at center and I'm undecided if they should grab yet another center in Draisaitl or a scoring winger. As far as I'm concerned, they need to ignore Ekblad unless they have three picks in the top 5.

Who over Nylander? Nylander's rep, currently, paints a picture of a Vanek-type of player, as far as I read it. But, admittedly, I'm a 2014 draft noob yet.

I think, as it stands, the Sabres need Reinhart at center and I'm undecided if they should grab yet another center in Draisaitl or a scoring winger. As far as I'm concerned, they need to ignore Ekblad unless they have three picks in the top 5.

Well guys like Draisaitl and Nylander would take a big trade up as the Isles pick will likely be somewhere in the teens.

But I guess there aren't too many guys I'd take over Nylander. Reinhart obviously. Draisaitl. Then I'd consider Sam Bennett and Dal Colle.

Sam Bennett is a name nobody has talked about on here, but I REALLY like him. He'll need to add some muscle.

I haven't read anything suggesting Vanek type. Vanek is 6'2 and Nylander is 5'10. I don't think he has the size to go to the areas Vanek goes too. I'm thinking a better Ennis. Best case scenario would be Danny Briere.

This is so early in the year but as of right now from what I've read and watched I'd take: Reinhart, Ekblad, Dal Colle, Draistl and Bennett ahead of Nylander. Anton Karlsson maybe ahead as well.

Well guys like Draisaitl and Nylander would take a big trade up as the Isles pick will likely be somewhere in the teens.

But I guess there aren't too many guys I'd take over Nylander. Reinhart obviously. Draisaitl. Then I'd consider Sam Bennett and Dal Colle.

Sam Bennett is a name nobody has talked about on here, but I REALLY like him. He'll need to add some muscle.

Bennett would be interesting. Didnt he play minor league hockey with McDavid. Would be something to take him and then get real lucky next draft.

If you were the Islanders, held pick 6-10 in this year's draft and weren't going to resign Vanek, would you defer the pick to 2015?

I certainly wouldn't take the risk of losing a 2015 lottery pick.

Even if they end up with a more realistic 12-18, using our extra seconds to move up to nab a scoring or power winger certainly looks doable.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/97007/iss-draft-rankings-top-2014-duo-holds-steady-but-plenty-of-movement-among-other-prospects/

I haven't read anything suggesting Vanek type. Vanek is 6'2 and Nylander is 5'10. I don't think he has the size to go to the areas Vanek goes too. I'm thinking a better Ennis. Best case scenario would be Danny Briere.

This is so early in the year but as of right now from what I've read and watched I'd take: Reinhart, Ekblad, Dal Colle, Draistl and Bennett ahead of Nylander. Anton Karlsson maybe ahead as well.

Underrating Nylander there. He IS a guy who will get into the dirty areas once in a while. He's willing to forecheck.

I've read he has the hands, and I'm thinking in terms of what the Sabres need. I didn't consider his size, but you could be right. I think the Ennis comparison is possible, considering the size and the reports of him liking to hang on to the puck, but that he likes to shoot it more often than not.

Edited by sizzlemeister

Underrating Nylander there. He IS a guy who will get into the dirty areas once in a while. He's willing to forecheck.

Interesting, I'll have to watch more of him. I still worry about that small stature though. Sure he can still grow but some guys are just too small to do it at the pro level. Smaller guys can do things in junior they can't at the show.

Looking more closely at the lottery, if the Islanders pick 11 to 14 this year, we will get a second lottery pick guaranteed, even if the odds of that second pick are just 1/50.

What really makes me shiver though is the fact the only time the lottery balls have made a huge difference in the past is during the Crosby year.

That makes me absolutely certain that we will finish last in 2015 and some team we detest like Ottawa or Toronto or Edmonton or Philadelphia or the Canes or the Rangers will have just missed the playoffs and will beat the odds — their ball will drop so they can land McDavid.

That is real suffering

Interesting, I'll have to watch more of him. I still worry about that small stature though. Sure he can still grow but some guys are just too small to do it at the pro level. Smaller guys can do things in junior they can't at the show.

A valid concern, IMHO. The Sabres have been through their share of smaller guys.

Looking more closely at the lottery, if the Islanders pick 11 to 14 this year, we will get a second lottery pick guaranteed, even if the odds of that second pick are just 1/50.

What really makes me shiver though is the fact the only time the lottery balls have made a huge difference in the past is during the Crosby year.

That makes me absolutely certain that we will finish last in 2015 and some team we detest like Ottawa or Toronto or Edmonton or Philadelphia or the Canes or the Rangers will have just missed the playoffs and will beat the odds — their ball will drop so they can land McDavid.

That is real suffering

People need to stop referencing the Crosby lottery. It was completely different considering it was coming out of the lockout. The odds were very different that year. Pittsburgh, Columbus, NY and us all had the same odds to get the first pick. I do think they may have rigged it in Pittsburgh's favor, but it's not hard to imagine that they just won it fair and square.

Very true, but you've got to consider the fact that he's only 17 so likely has some room for growth. Even an inch or two makes him sound so much bigger. And he's generally reported somewhere between 175-180 which is actually heavier than a lot of guys who are in the low 6-feet range during the draft. He's got a more "full" body than a lot of kids.

I see Nylander being similar to Jeff Skinner with a little more grit.

Edited by DStebb

Despite what is considered a shallow draft, and maybe because of it, there does not appear to be a lot of top end D prospects. Is that the reason for the low ranking or do D get considered later in the year because they often take so long to develop and harder to get a fix on unless they are considered elite?

Edited by North Buffalo

If we go 2nd and Reinhart gets taking first... hmmmm it would depend on where other forwards are ranked and how they look. Remember Jones was ranked 1st or tied with MacKinnon and he fell to 4th. Personally I would have to see the drop off btw the forward and the defender but if you chose to go Forward and the guy is gone at #2 than trade back a little if needed.

I can assure you, the Sabres aren't trading back if they pick 2nd and Eckblad is there. They'll take him, and rightfully so. Why in the hell would you decrease your ability to accumulate bargaining chips?

Look, I know fans are already falling in love with Risto, Zad's, Pysyk and McCabe, but honestly, if we get Eckblad, it would be a coup, no doubt about it.

I'm all for offensive elite players in the draft, but you don't turn away from talent like Eckblad in a trade down, that's just insane.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.