Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 1m

Sabres GM Tim Murray says he offered a team all three of his second-round picks for their first-rounder and was turned down.

How high was he aiming?

Mike Harrington@BNHarrington 29s

Murray confirmed he talked to Edmonton and Calgary about moving down if a player (clearly Reinhart) was taken at No. 1. #Sabres

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 1m

Sabres GM Tim Murray says he offered a team all three of his second-round picks for their first-rounder and was turned down.

How high was he aiming?

Mike Harrington@BNHarrington 29s

Murray confirmed he talked to Edmonton and Calgary about moving down if a player (clearly Reinhart) was taken at No. 1. #Sabres

Has to be the 15-20 range I'd guess

Must've been pretty high in the first considering other teams were able to trade up? And I guess he doesn't have a guy left he really wants at 31 :(

I will be very disappointed if it's not Barbashev.

Only other guys who are good value here are defencemen.

McKeown probably next on my list, then Dougherty.

Don't waste a 2nd round pick on a goalie. They already have a bunch; Enroth, Neuvirth, Lieuwen, Hackett, Makarov, Ullmark, Peterson, and maybe Knapp.

Few of those guys have high ceilings but are a long way out and large question marks...

If Barbashev is taken, zomg, amazing start at the forward class. He has size, skating and the talent. Everything that the Sabres need. If he's picked, its an awesome start....Please! Barbashev at 31, and Demko/Dougherty/Lemeiux at 39?

I agree on your picks as I take Barbashev at 31 and I like what I hear about Dougherty game. Not so sure about picking another goalie. Lemieux probably won't amount much to more than a 3rd liner.

Few of those guys have high ceilings but are a long way out and large question marks...

I'm not so sure you take another goalie in the organization when u lack skilled offense players.

You underestimate their talent. Ullmark is the top rated goalie in Sweden, Leuwen had a great year in Roch, Makarov had a strong finish and playoff when called up to Roch, and Peterson had a good year in USHL. It only takes one to step forward in the next couple of years.

Miller was a 5th round pick.

Mike Harrington@BNHarrington 20s

Just listening to Murray's interview again...he offered three seconds to **seven** teams for one first...#Sabres

I guess he didn't get the memo from the marketing team pimping how valuable all those 2nd round picks were....yikes!

For as much as a weasel Darcy was, Murray is TOO honest!

Tim Murray post-draft (Rd1) (6/27/14) <4:56>

Sabres GM Tim Murray spoke with the media following round one of the 2014 NHL Draft.

Pronman, ESPN INsider: Best 25 remaining players

Barbashev, Audette among top prospects available on Day 2 of NHL draft

1. Ivan Barbashev, C, Moncton (QMJHL)

He's the kind of player who can be set up on the point on a power play, due to the way he can control the puck and see all the options. He's a very hard worker who plays with a physical edge, and can land some crushing blows. He's committed defensively, with fine skills on the penalty kill. He needs to get stronger and be a little more consistent offensively.

@SabresProspects

Barbashev top rated skater available. Worth noting that a total of ZERO Russians were taken by OTT when Murray was there.

I'm sticking to the players listed in the draft preview as r2 targets. Lemieux, McKeown, Demko, Dougherty, Karlsson etc. and yes, Barbashev

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.