Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I guess he didn't get the memo from the marketing team pimping how valuable all those 2nd round picks were....yikes!

For as much as a weasel Darcy was, Murray is TOO honest!

If he was dangling 3 2nds for a late first in this years draft, he should be taken to task. And I personally don't need to know what he's offering. Part of me is concerned that too much transparency is a bad thing.

If he was dangling 3 2nds for a late first in this years draft, he should be taken to task. And I personally don't need to know what he's offering. Part of me is concerned that too much transparency is a bad thing.

I like Murray a lot, but yeah....look at the Myers thing, he comes out a few weeks ago saying he's not the guy. Now we have him as one of the hot trade rumors. It's OK if he actually does get moved soon....but when you pretty much admit he is fragile to the public, then give him reason to question his standing...he's gotta go.....

I dunno, but I think there's a certain level of craftiness at work here. Perhaps I'm idealizing what I see from Murray; but the persona he projects isn't for us, it's for the other GMs. He creates this perception of being shockingly direct and upfront, and uses that as a way to manipulate his transactions. I make no judgment, now, as to whether its a successful approach in hockey, but it can be effective in business.

I dunno, but I think there's a certain level of craftiness at work here. Perhaps I'm idealizing what I see from Murray; but the persona he projects isn't for us, it's for the other GMs. He creates this perception of being shockingly direct and upfront, and uses that as a way to manipulate his transactions. I make no judgment, now, as to whether its a successful approach in hockey, but it can be effective in business.

The problem I have with it is, what good comes from publicly devaluing your own assets? Not only from a trade value point of view, but more so from the angle that you aren't able to move that player. People don't like working in environments where they are publicly shamed.

We saw this earlier when he was dismissive of our UFA's this year. Are those players trash? Absolutely. But a little bit of finesse is a good thing if you are a boss, at least in my opiniion.

I think all this does is give Murray very little leash if things start to go poorly. This act only works if you get results. Otherwise, it gets stale quickly.

I agree with the poster who pointed out he could have moved up into the late 1st with 2 of the 2nd rounders, then, packaged that 1st and the other 2nd rounder, if he had to he could have included the 61st over all as well. But what is striking is the deal for the 20th overall, The 27th and the 67th picks? Really?

I think Murray could have packaged the 31st, 49th and 61st to get up to 20 then used the 20th and 39th to move up to the mid teens, no?

Also, I believe Murray is going for Quality for sure, especially since he was willing to offer all three 2nd rounders.

Edited by HopefulFuture

Can't believe nobody picked Ivan Barbashev.

Already got perfect nickname for him, "Crazy Ivan" . Signature move, doubles back into his own zone :w00t:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/?id=626612

warm welcom for bettman in philly :blink:

With Barbashev, Lemieux, Karlsson, Mckoeown, Macinnis, Demko still on the board,I couldn't sleep.

With Barbashev, Lemieux, Karlsson, Mckoeown, Macinnis, Demko still on the board,I couldn't sleep.

Those are all good names. Barbashev and one of Lemieux, Karlsson or MacInnis would be nice. I like Doughtery a bit too. I think waiting until round three or four (depending on the drop off) it would be fine to wait on Ville Husso. He's my favorite goalie in the draft, though there are other options.

Does anyone know if they're streaming Day 2 online and where?

You inspired me to look and this is what I found:

"American viewers can stream the NHL Draft live for free through the NBC Sports Live Extra app for iPhone and iPad, which provides a live feed of the NBC Sports Network. The app also features on-demand video and highlights, full replays and more to keep you in the loop with the latest news throughout the draft. NBC Sports Live Extra is free on the App Store"

Edited by wjag

"American viewers can stream the NHL Draft live for free through the NBC Sports Live Extra app for iPhone and iPad, which provides a live feed of the NBC Sports Network. The app also features on-demand video and highlights, full replays and more to keep you in the loop with the latest news throughout the draft. NBC Sports Live Extra is free on the App Store"

I bet that was only for last night though.

If this Barbashev is so good why'd he fall so far? Any of you "X's and O's" kind of hockey people who could explain, it'd be much appreciated.

It's just the nature of the draft at this stage. I don't think he was ever going to go in the first but we weren't sure how other teams would value him. I think he's a solid pick at #31. He's a big two-way forward centerman and we can't have enough players who fit that description.

He really looked good at the World Juniors. Wherever the puck was so was Barbashev.

If this Barbashev is so good why'd he fall so far? Any of you "X's and O's" kind of hockey people who could explain, it'd be much appreciated.

The forward group from 11-60 have similarities and vast differences. Kempe who is a very good talent slid to 29, when he was shown in mocks to go between 10-20. Vrana who went to Washington at 13, was rumored to be in the back end of the first round. It's all based on how your board lines up. I hope Barbashev is a target. He skates very well, and confidently. I love the upside.

Edited by TheCerebral1

Plus who doesn't want a guy named Barbashev on their team?

Exactly! TEAM USSR ######! Just kidding. At this point it is all about upside, and picking. The guy that everyone wanted at #2 for the most part (Sam Bennett, Really?!?) was selected. So now its about the Lemieux vs Barbashev vs MacInnis vs McKeown types.

Edited by TheCerebral1

I bet that was only for last night though.

Then there is this one:

"Canadian viewers can stream the NHL Draft live through the TSN GO and iPad, which provides a live feed of both the TSN and TSN2 channels. The app also has the latest news headlines, videos and expert analysis leading up, during and following the draft. You can also visit TSN.ca through Safari for a live blog and pick tracker. TSN GO is free on the App Store"

Edited by wjag

Looking at that app I think that was only for last nights coverage, and the TSN piece you'll likely need a password from a Canadian cable provider. Edited by Lanny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.