Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I could see Girgs becoming similar to Messier, maybe not quite as high in the points department but a great leader who never stops.

If he's on the 2nd line, with solid wingers I could see him putting up Derek Roy levels of production. (While he was with Buffalo)

Edited by thewookie1

I could see Girgs becoming similar to Messier, maybe not quite as high in the points department but a great leader who never stops.

If he's on the 2nd line, with solid wingers I could see him putting up Derek Roy levels of production. (While he was with Buffalo)

That is is highest ceiling though, wich i don't actually see in him. 3rd line 40 point center that is his future for me.

The 50 player limit will be an issue for this team, but they seem to be shaping to a point where their quantity has enough potential to use it to increase their quality.

I'm sure over the next week to 2 years we'll see players we don't want moved, moved. But if at the end of the day the Sabres are better (at least in future seasons, 'cause I'm resigned to this one not being good) I'm good w/ it. TM gets the benefit of the doubt (for now).

This probably hasn't been talked about enough on this board. There is such thing as having too many draft picks. We can't sign them all! And, on that end, whereas a lot of folks want the Sabres to resign marginal players like Conacher, Hackett, McBain and D'Agostini, doing so takes a pro spot away from a younger, potentially more promising player.

@SabresProspects: Like Bennett/Draisaitl plenty, but give me the calm, disciplined, brilliant playmaker. Reinhart has been that guy since day one.

This has been my thought process the whole time. Don't overthink it.

Yeah, I totally agree. It seems like the "easier" pick is the right one in this case. I wouldn't cry if we picked Bennett or Draisaitl, but my gut tells me Reinhart is the blend we need the most even if it isn't flashy.

I'll take the under on Griggy.

Expectations have fallen so low for this kid that I think he'll exceed them.

He's been bounced between three leagues for 2 years.

Normally you'd start truly evaluating a player after 120 games in the A.

Kids Grigorenko's age need routine and consistency - the organization did about all that they could to ensure Grigorenko got neither.

Now he is in the curious position that he has very little pro experience in terms of ice-time, and he's in a contract year.

A full year in the A is probably what he needs. But I think it is a good thing expectations have been lowered.

Edited by X. Benedict

2014 MOCK DRAFT: THE NEXT 10

Kris Baker looks at who might be available in the 2nd round

The 2014 NHL Draft will be held on Friday and Saturday at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia. Kris Baker of SabresProspects.com has ranked his Top 30 prospects with written and video analysis.

But the Sabres also currently hold the first pick of the second round (31st overall) as well as Picks 39 and 49.

Here's who Baker thinks might be available when the Sabres are ready to make their next selection:

Expectations have fallen so low for this kid that I think he'll exceed them.

He's been bounced between three leagues for 2 years.

Normally you'd start truly evaluating a player after 120 games in the A.

Kids Grigorenko's age need routine and consistency - the organization did about all that they could to ensure Grigorenko got neither.

Now he is in the curious position that he has very little pro experience in terms of ice-time, and he's in a contract year.

A full year in the A is probably what he needs. But I think it is a good thing expectations have been lowered.

I totally agree that judgment at this point is premature, and a full year in the A is needed in order to have a reasonable basis for evaluating him.

But still: he's been invisible-to-lousy on the ice and hasn't covered himself in glory off the ice. So IF I were inclined to take GoDD's (perhaps rash) bet, I would take the under.

It might go against what I said upthread about wanting skill, but Bleackley and Karlsson would be a nice haul at 31 and 39.

How is there a team nicknamed the Indians in Sweden? That would be like having a team nicknamed the Vikings in -- oh, nevermind.

Derek Roy is the last 80 point player the sabres have had. There's no shot Zemgus gets near that.

Very few in the NHL get near it, let alone a 2nd-3rd line center. The way people talk about point production sometimes makes me think they lack proper perspective.

Agreed.

But I also hate the low scoring game of the 21st century. I hate modern goalie pads, I hate no penalties being called and I hate 2-1 games!

Hate leads to #suffering™

Suffering leads to Buffalo Fandom

Buffalo Fandom leads to :wallbash: :death:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zemgus should be a 55-65pt center when all is said and done. Anything over that 65pt threshold is gravy.

Suffering leads to Buffalo Fandom

Buffalo Fandom leads to :wallbash: :death:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zemgus should be a 55-65pt center when all is said and done. Anything over that 65pt threshold is gravy.

Wow, no pressure. 65 points puts him at #15 in the league for all centers, behind Spezza, Tavares, and Toews and ahead of O'Reilly. This from a guy who screams 3rd, maybe 2nd line center.

I'd set the over/under on NHL goals for Larsson at 37 1/2. Grigorenko at 113 1/2.

I could see Larsson having 4, 10 goal seasons. That's over.

I think Griggy is at least as good as Artem Anisimov....another inconsistent big Russian.

Anisimov already has 80 goals at age 26. I'll take Griggy for the over too.

yea just ignore the range I provided its cool.

Fair enough, my bad I wasn't reading closely. But even 55 pts. is #27, between Nugent-Hopkins and Couture. I think 40-45 points is more reasonable on the top end (names like Mike Richards, Schenn, Kessler, Hodgson (!)). I hope you're right, though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.