Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

NYI win lottery and we finish last, draft McDavid and Eichel... that scenario would be the hockey gods blessing of a lifetime.

I've written about this several times, but every time I read it, I still drool. A #2 overall, a ridonkulous #1 overall, and a #2 overall that'd probably be a #1 overall any other year. In consecutive years. Likely three of the four best prospects in these two years. All forwards. All wearing Blue and Gold.

giggity.gif

Here's a familiar defenseman who's still pretty good, has 2 years left on his (expensive) contract, is looking for a new situation and could be traded at the draft: http://sports.yahoo....-161740679.html

Yea, I caught this as well today. I wouldn't mind Soupy back at all. I'd like to get that 1st over all and retain the 2nd over all while doing it. If that is not possible, that 32nd over all could be a bargaining chip to get back in to the teens in the 1st rd as some sort of package deal, I think.

Yea, I caught this as well today. I wouldn't mind Soupy back at all. I'd like to get that 1st over all and retain the 2nd over all while doing it. If that is not possible, that 32nd over all could be a bargaining chip to get back in to the teens in the 1st rd as some sort of package deal, I think.

We're not getting pick one without giving up two. And they aren't going to give us a pick to take on Campbell. They're trying to win and won't think of him as a salary dump.

My proposal for the Campbell salary dump would be:

Brian Campbell, the 32nd overall, and a 2nd and Pitt's 3rd rounder in 2015

for

the 39th overall (Winn pick) and a 2015 5th rounder.

So we take on salary for moving up 7 slots in the 2nd round along with picking up some picks in 2015.

Edited by thewookie1

My proposal for the Campbell salary dump would be:

Brian Campbell, the 32nd overall, and a 2nd and Pitt's 3rd rounder in 2015

for

the 39th overall (Winn pick) and a 2015 5th rounder.

So we take on salary for moving up 7 slots in the 2nd round along with picking up some picks in 2015.

Campbell isn't a salary dump. They'll get value for him, not give value...

@StepnerWKBW

Spoke 1on1 w #Sabres GM Tim Murray. On offers received 4 2nd overall: "Very few. Willing to trade it" But offer has to "knock my socks off."

More #Sabres Tim Murray on how busy he expects to be with trades of picks/players: "Very busy. I talked to 10 GMs yesterday. 3 or 4 today."

More #Sabres Murray on trading back into 1st round: "We would like to. We're working hard right now to somehow get into at least the teens."

#Sabres Murray on Leino waive/buyout: "Wasn't a snap decision. It's his play, where we're at, salary, length of contract....." (contd)

More #Sabres GM Murray on Leino waive/buyout: "A lot of pros/cons. The cons, one because of where he's at. We want to get better here."

Part of Ekblad's combine interview with Buffalo. Quote of the video,

Tim Murray "We want the guy who's making and impact every night..."

Ekblad "Done."

Great insight into what the Combine interviews are all about - Aaron Ekblad's chat with the #Sabres >> http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=624915 …

Edited by LGR4GM

Ekblad "Done."

Great insight into what the Combine interviews are all about - Aaron Ekblad's chat with the #Sabres >> http://video.nhl.com...ole?id=624915 …

Posted this morning: http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22139-official-2014-nhl-draft-thread/page__st__3320#entry589541

Ekblad "Done."

Great insight into what the Combine interviews are all about - Aaron Ekblad's chat with the #Sabres >> http://video.nhl.com...ole?id=624915 …

I think the most interesting part of that interview is Murray telling an 18 year old kid that if he picks him he wants him joining the rush and getting up ice.

Most rookies are asked to play safe and learn. Murray is interested in him getting up ice and making mistakes.

I don't think Ekblad is there at 2, but if he's there take him.

I think the most interesting part of that interview is Murray telling an 18 year old kid that if he picks him he wants him joining the rush and getting up ice.

Most rookies are asked to play safe and learn. Murray is interested in him getting up ice and making mistakes.

I don't think Ekblad is there at 2, but if he's there take him.

Didn't Murray allude early on in his tenure that he believed in puck moving defensemen? I think that's just how he wants his blue line to play.

Didn't Murray allude early on in his tenure that he believed in puck moving defensemen? I think that's just how he wants his blue line to play.

I think so.

I like an active D myself. It's one of the things I enjoyed most about Ruff's tenure - the D joining the play, and often entering the O zone with the puck.

I love the lanes it opens.

Am I the only one who thinks Ritchie is a dangerous pick?

I'm always leery of under motivated big guys; scouts fall in love with what they could be, not what they are.

I'm thinking he's got Jim Sandlak or Andrew McBain topside.

Loved the Ekblad interview, both the way the kid (I would have no problem with him at 2) came across and the way Murray did.

Edited by dudacek

EHLERS!!

Trade for another top 10 pick for him. If I were GM that be part of my draft plan.

But what do I know ... I have only watched this kid for a year. He was a rookie in the Q this year. Our Moose scouts keep finding these guys. He is from Denmark.

Finally got around to watching him play, I see where your enthusiasm comes from. He isn't blazing fast, but he has scary quick feet and stick-handling ability. Plus his wrist shot just is so quick and smooth, a pure rocket. Another poster compared him to Patty Kane, and I totally agree; this comparison was the first thing I thought of when I watched him. This kid is filthy good, and I'd be willing to bet he's gonna be the steal of the draft when we look back on it.

I'm with NS on this, I'd love to trade into the top 10 and snag Ehlers. If Vancouver isn't in total rebuild mode, I'm sure we have some pieces we could offer them. I'd give them Myers, two 2nd rounders, and Ennis if Ehlers is still available at 6

Edited by WildCard

I wouldn't take Ritchie above Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl or Nylander. Would likely take him at seven.

Not sure he's in my top 10.

In addition to your group I'd also take Ehlers and Barbashev ahead of him for sure.

Fleury doesn't fit a need, but he's a safer pick, and probably a better one.

For me, he's right there with the next group of eight or ten players who are all flawed but very interesting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.