Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

@NHLBusts: In the 2006 draft the Blues picked Erik Johnson 1st overall, passing over Jonathan Toews, Phil Kessel, Claude Giroux, and Nicklas Backstrom.

Just saw this tweet and now I'm scared if we draft ekblad

Meanwhile Johnson is the #1 defenseman on a team flirting with the top spot in the western conference. Bust is a bit of a strong label, don't you think.

Meanwhile Johnson is the #1 defenseman on a team flirting with the top spot in the western conference. Bust is a bit of a strong label, don't you think.

Bah, have you seen their PDO and Fenwick combination?!?!?!

I do think bust is probably too strong, but at least until this year I don't think it's a stretch to say he's been disappointing.

Two of the bottom three teams in the league last year are in the playoffs this year.

Three of the bottom five teams from 11-12 made the playoffs the following year.

Two of the bottom five teams from 10-11 made the playoffs the following year.

That's the end of the streak of a lot of teams bouncing back. The bottom nine teams in 09-10 missed the playoffs the following year, as well.

The Sabres won't be joining that group. A lot of teams in that group might've said the same thing, but they at least had talent already established. The Panthers making the playoffs are the only exception but they bought every mid-level veteran free agent possible that offseason.

If I were to guess bottom teams this year that might make a playoff run next year: Edmonton (2nd to last), Vancouver (7th to last), Winnipeg (8th to last).

Kessel please

I'd second that motion.

Outside of the Sabres 1st round pick this year, there isn't an asset(s) I wouldn't give up for Kessel.

Am I the only one hoping that Florida overtakes Edmonton for the #2 spot? I do so with the idea that Edmonton really wants Ekblad and would be willing to trade up to #1 to draft him. Dropping to #3, drafting Bennett and picking up an extra pick or two would be a great start to the 2014 draft.

Don't know, some edmonton fans saying they got enough D prospects :blink: with musil, kfefbom and nurse. They need to add some good veteran D i think like Mcdonald or hainsey.

And to be honest i can get that, florida and the islanders need D alot more, i could see those two making a move more than the oilers.

Then again none of them come close to having a guy like ekblad in their system.

Don't know, some edmonton fans saying they got enough D prospects :blink: with musil, kfefbom and nurse. They need to add some good veteran D i think like Mcdonald or hainsey.

And to be honest i can get that, florida and the islanders need D alot more, i could see those two making a move more than the oilers.

Then again none of them come close to having a guy like ekblad in their system.

The problem the Oilers face is that there just isn't much available when it comes to good veteran D in this year's UFA crop. The group as a whole is very old and less than inspiring. Ekblad is a far better option than anything available in free agency. If the Oilers are looking strictly at veteran D help they will have to look at the trade market.

They can't compliance buyout Clarkson so I doubt he's going anywhere.

The Leafs are far from the point of having to "rebuild." What they need is some help on the blue-line and a healthy Lupul. They are in very good shape cap wise with just over $22 mil available this off-season. They have a pretty solid group as a "top six" which gets even better if Clarkson can bounce back. They also have a couple of chips to play in Kadri and Gardiner if they choose to. They also have a likely top 10 pick this year they can use to add (through trade) some help to the blueline.

The Leafs will be a team looking to add, they are close to taking that next step to contender status.

I'd second that motion.

Outside of the Sabres 1st round pick this year, there isn't an asset(s) I wouldn't give up for Kessel.

Am I the only one hoping that Florida overtakes Edmonton for the #2 spot? I do so with the idea that Edmonton really wants Ekblad and would be willing to trade up to #1 to draft him. Dropping to #3, drafting Bennett and picking up an extra pick or two would be a great start to the 2014 draft.

I wouldn't give Girgensons for Kessel. You don't build from the wing, we should all know this by now.

No to your draft thing as well. We should pick right where we are and take the player we like and be done. No games just start up take our guy.

The Leafs are far from the point of having to "rebuild." What they need is some help on the blue-line and a healthy Lupul. They are in very good shape cap wise with just over $22 mil available this off-season. They have a pretty solid group as a "top six" which gets even better if Clarkson can bounce back. They also have a couple of chips to play in Kadri and Gardiner if they choose to. They also have a likely top 10 pick this year they can use to add (through trade) some help to the blueline.

The Leafs will be a team looking to add, they are close to taking that next step to contender status.

And then I read this and laughed. The only they are close to doing is being a playoff team.

Two of the bottom three teams in the league last year are in the playoffs this year.

Three of the bottom five teams from 11-12 made the playoffs the following year.

Two of the bottom five teams from 10-11 made the playoffs the following year.

That's the end of the streak of a lot of teams bouncing back. The bottom nine teams in 09-10 missed the playoffs the following year, as well.

The Sabres won't be joining that group. A lot of teams in that group might've said the same thing, but they at least had talent already established. The Panthers making the playoffs are the only exception but they bought every mid-level veteran free agent possible that offseason.If I were to guess bottom teams this year that might make a playoff run next year: Edmonton (2nd to last), Vancouver (7th to last), Winnipeg (8th to last).

I guess it just goes with who we put in the line up. If McBean and Weber are playing defense for us next year we don't get any better I'm thinking.

But add the young kids on d, a veteran free agent d-man and have all the forwards together through training camp--conncer,

dagastini and the rest and who knows how much better they get. They look and are terrible, but a little help on defense and this rag tag group thrown together in season finding some chemistry could get better, but probably not a lot better. Who will scores the goals next season is the big question after fixing the defense for me. Sorry for rambling...

I wouldn't give Girgensons for Kessel. You don't build from the wing, we should all know this by now.

No to your draft thing as well. We should pick right where we are and take the player we like and be done. No games just start up take our guy.

And then I read this and laughed. The only they are close to doing is being a playoff team.

I like Girgensons, at this point he does not have the value Kessel has as one of the premier offensive players in the league at age 26.

You can laugh all you like, the Leafs top six forwards are no joke. Kessel (26), JVR (24), Kadri (23), Bozak (28), Lupul (30) and Raymond (28) is a nice balance of youth and veteran talent. If Clarkson can get his game together it would give some much needed grit. Add a couple of solid blueliners and they are a top four team in the Conference. All kidding aside.

I like Girgensons, at this point he does not have the value Kessel has as one of the premier offensive players in the league at age 26.

You can laugh all you like, the Leafs top six forwards are no joke. Kessel (26), JVR (24), Kadri (23), Bozak (28), Lupul (30) and Raymond (28) is a nice balance of youth and veteran talent. If Clarkson can get his game together it would give some much needed grit. Add a couple of solid blueliners and they are a top four team in the Conference. All kidding aside.

That top 6 reminds me of this top six:

Vanek, Roy, Stafford

Connolly, Pominville, Hecht

What are the chances the Islanders give us their pick this year? Seriously, if we take two of the top three picks this year do we really want to tank it next year? That would be a serious influx of talent right here along with some pretty good prospects in the pipeline.

Vanek, Roy, Stafford

Not one of the best eras in Sabres history right here

Vanek, Roy, Stafford

That was the parallel I saw.

That is a lot that has to go right for the Leafs to be better. I am not sure they can turn it around that quickly.

Vanek, Roy, Stafford

I started to type exactly that before I saw your post.

Almost player for player. It's scary.

You could throw in Gaustad for Clarkson and Campbell for Phanuef if you wanted, too.

Vanek, Roy, Stafford

Was the question "name six people who have never been in your kitchen?"

Other than simply listing six players that have all played forward there is no comparison to the Leaf forwards. None of the players listed were on the level of player Kessel and JVR have become.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.