Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I think Reinhart may be similar to these guys in terms of style but I would argue Bennett is not. Just because a 17yr old is 6' 180lbs we shouldn't think of him as small. 1 or 2 summers of pro workouts could easily see him hit 200lbs which is probably the average for an NHL player. Edmonton has a hard working grit problem, not a size problem.

I appreciate that Bennett isn't Ennis and that he has a game that might make his size irrelevant anyway.

That doesn't change the fact that in the Boston/LA sense the Oilers current top six is nowhere near heavy.

My prediction is the Sabres will get the #1 from the Islanders this year and will draft Ekblad and Dreistl. Just a feeling but mark it.

I know the Islanders are run kinda stupidly but they will pick in the top 5 this year. Mark my words! We will be getting their first next year and I think they would pick anywhere from 8-15 in next draft. A solid goaltending signing and adding a couple of decent free agents and they will be a ton better. The young guys they called up ain't all that bad

I know the Islanders are run kinda stupidly but they will pick in the top 5 this year. Mark my words! We will be getting their first next year and I think they would pick anywhere from 8-15 in next draft. A solid goaltending signing and adding a couple of decent free agents and they will be a ton better. The young guys they called up ain't all that bad

I agree with the delaying of the pick. However, with a thin free agent market, who will they really sign to be of impact? What good goalies are available? Miller, Hiller, Halak. Maybe Thomas or Bryzgalov? I wouldn't expect a huge turn around. This season they were no where near the playoffs with Vanek/Moulson on the team. They sure as hell ain't getting someone of that quality back.

They do have good young guys (a few of them). But the Oilers are proof that you can't ask your young guys to step in and pull you along. I really don't know which way they will go. All I know is that FA is after the draft and if they fail to get any nice names they could be sweating over the next season.

Good point. If they draft 2nd and Reinhart is gone, I'd take Bennett. Ekblad just isn't a cut above the top 2-3 forwards IMO

And then there's the points where that statement would carry much more weight and that is if they wind up with either the Islanders' or Blues' picks, or both. They'd definitely be down to BPA with the St. Louis pick, but there would be plenty of options available with the Isles' pick.

And then there's the points where that statement would carry much more weight and that is if they wind up with either the Islanders' or Blues' picks, or both. They'd definitely be down to BPA with the St. Louis pick, but there would be plenty of options available with the Isles' pick.

Let's say the NYI pick is 4th and we pick 2nd. Reinhart is gone to say Florida. I'd still take Bennett at two but then I'd take Draisaitl or Dal Colle at 4 even if Ekblad was there still. I really just put him on a level with Dal Colle which is probably unfair, but in all honesty you could in most drafts get decent defenders in the mid to late first or second round. You can't get top forwards without more luck.

bait?

They have to say that in order to keep their options open. If the Sabres wind up with the 2nd pick, they certainly wouldn't want to tip their hand so that the team with the 1st pick feels comfortable about dropping back to the 3rd pick with no fear of losing their guy.

They have to say that in order to keep their options open. If the Sabres wind up with the 2nd pick, they certainly wouldn't want to tip their hand so that the team with the 1st pick feels comfortable about dropping back to the 3rd pick with no fear of losing their guy.

Yep, they have to say that. No point in showing your cards early. If another team thinks you'll draft "their guy" it opens up trade possibilities.

And, I'll go on record as being the only person on this forum who thinks we should take Draisaitl if we draft 2nd and Bennett is gone. Murray likes size and Leon has NHL size already. And, amid all of the Reinhart hysteria on this board, Leon Draisaitl put up the exact same number of points, 105, in the same league (WHL) as Rhinehart, but on a worse team. (Although, Leon did play a few more games than Sam)

BTW - one of the reasons Bennett is the #1 rated prospect is he is almost a year younger than the other top rated guys.

Yes but the chances of that are not good

Season Lg Player Age Tm Pos G A PTS +/- W L T/O GAA SV%

2012-13 NHL Patrick Kane 24 CHI RW 9 10 19 7

2011-12 NHL Jonathan Quick 26 LAK G 0 0 0 0 16 4 1.41 .946

2010-11 NHL Tim Thomas 36 BOS G 0 0 0 0 16 9 1.98 .940

2009-10 NHL Jonathan Toews 21 CHI C 7 22 29 -1

2008-09 NHL Evgeni Malkin 22 PIT C 14 22 36 3

2007-08 NHL Henrik Zetterberg 27 DET LW 13 14 27 16

2006-07 NHL Scott Niedermayer 33 ANA D 3 8 11 2

2005-06 NHL Cam Ward 21 CAR G 0 1 1 0 15 8 0 2.14 .920

2003-04 NHL Brad Richards 23 TBL C 12 14 26 5

2002-03 NHL Jean-Sebastien Giguere 25 MDA G 0 1 1 0 15 6 1.62 .945

2001-02 NHL Nicklas Lidstrom 31 DET D 5 11 16 6

2000-01 NHL Patrick Roy 35 COL G 0 1 1 0 16 7 1.70 .934

1999-00 NHL Scott Stevens 35 NJD D 3 8 11 9

1998-99 NHL Joe Nieuwendyk 32 DAL C 11 10 21 7

1997-98 NHL Steve Yzerman 32 DET C 6 18 24 10

1996-97 NHL Mike Vernon 33 DET G 0 1 1 0 16 4 1.76 .927

1995-96 NHL Joe Sakic 26 COL C 18 16 34 10

1994-95 NHL Claude Lemieux 29 NJD LW 13 3 16 12

1993-94 NHL Brian Leetch 25 NYR D 11 23 34 19

1992-93 NHL Patrick Roy 27 MTL G 0 1 1 0 16 4 2.13 .929

1991-92 NHL Mario Lemieux 26 PIT C 16 18 34 6

1990-91 NHL Mario Lemieux 25 PIT C 16 28 44 14

3 of the last 8 skaters?

Bylsma.

:thumbsup:

3 of the last 8 skaters?

It's actually three of the last seven. Kane, Toews, Malkin, Zetterberg, Niedermayer, Richards, Lidstrom.

But then it's three of the total 16 skaters, and three of the total 22.

Also fun stats:

-three of the last three are American.

-15 of 22 are Canadian

Breaks down as: 15 Canadians, four Americans, three Europeans. That's breaking it into two countries and then one continent.

Edited by Tankalicious

My top 10 based off the video/games I've seen. What I have read and a bunch of other random stuff.

1) Sam Reinahrt - best vision and patience of anyone in this class. He has a good release and can skate fairly well, good in all 3 zones

2) Sam Bennett - younger than the other top guys with a hell of a work ethic and unrelenting desire to win he has shown great improvement this year

3) Aaron Ekblad - the best defensemen some have questioned his physicality but I think he has a strong 2-way game and a great shot

4) Leon Draisaitl - not overly physical but uses his big body to shield the puck and can make good passes in tight spaces, I question some of his defensive zone efforts

5) Michael Dal Colle - same age as Bennett but with a hell of a shot. He is tall but lanky and once he fills out beware, this kid is a power forward already

6) William Nylander - he has all the skills to be a top forward but I don't believe he thinks the game properly yet and he does to much on his own

7) Jake Virtanen - fast as the wind and a great shot he already is over 200lbs and is the best skater in the class

8) Brenden Perlini - playing a highly skilled game Perlini does everything good but I wouldn't say he stands out with anything, was disappointing in the playoffs

9) Haydn Fleury - physical with good size he is a perfect offensive defender with grit, shows good instincts in both zones

10) Nikolaj Ehlers - was hesitant to put him here but he is fast and can make plays at speed, my issue is he is smaller in girth then most and I am not sure he will add the weight needed to be effective in the NHL, great shot too and tearing up the playoffs

Honorable Mentions: Nick Ritchie, Alex Tuch, Joshua Ho-Sang, Kasperi Kapanen

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.