Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Again I am not looking at it the way you are. I am looking at it as the Sabres have a the best singular chance of getting to draft the forward they want.

They don't The post you responded to stated that the most likely scenario is that Reinhart is gone & Buffalo is picking next. There is roughly a 66% chance that someone other than Buffalo or the Eulers picks 1st. The team that picks 1st will likely pick a forward.

HOW you are looking at it DOES NOT CHANGE THE UNDERLYING PROBABILITIES. Again, the most likely scenario is that the Sabres don't get the 1st forward taken. Whether it be the Cats, the Canes, Flames, etc. grabbing that forward, it most likely is the Sabres picking next.

Edited by Taro T

No they don't. Not unless there are a bunch of teams in the bottom 14 that would likely pick a D w/ the 1st pick like the Eulers probably would w/ that pick.

The MOST likely scenario is the Sabres have their choice of either the 2nd forward taken or Ekblad.

We have the "best" chance of drafting the best forward available, but it's only a 25% chance. The part in bold is the right way to look at it.

They don't The post you responded to stated that the most likely scenario is that Reinhart is gone & Buffalo is picking next. There is roughly a 66% chance that someone other than Buffalo or the Eulers picks 1st. The team that picks 1st will likely pick a forward.

HOW you are looking at it DOES NOT CHANGE THE UNDERLYING PROBABILITIES. Again, the most likely scenario is that the Sabres don't get the 1st forward taken. Whether it be the Cats, the Canes, Flames, etc. grabbing that forward, it most likely is the Sabres picking next.

There's also no guarantee the Oilers take Ekblad. They do have a lot of prospects on defense already. They could take BPA (Reinhart) or trade the pick to someone a few spots lower. OR take Reinhart and trade one of their other forwards (Yakupov?).

There's also no guarantee the Oilers take Ekblad. They do have a lot of prospects on defense already. They could take BPA (Reinhart) or trade the pick to someone a few spots lower. OR take Reinhart and trade one of their other forwards (Yakupov?).

Or team #1 could take Bennett or Draisaitl. Hard to say how the draft will turn out.

We have the "best" chance of drafting the best forward available, but it's only a 25% chance. The part in bold is the right way to look at it.

It is one of the ways to look at it. A different way but neither more right or wrong then another.

Or team #1 could take Bennett or Draisaitl. Hard to say how the draft will turn out.

I never assume the other team will do something I wouldn't. That doesn't mean it can't happen, but if you're trying to predict what different teams will do, just ask what you would do in the same situation.

That's pretty much how last year's draft played out. The only one of the Magnificent Seven that I thought could fall to us was Nichushkin, and that's what happened. I really didn't think the other teams would pass over all of the others.

It is one of the ways to look at it. A different way but neither more right or wrong then another.

Sorry, math is math. In math there is a right answer and a wrong answer. I realize it isn't your fault that you are a product of the current version of the public education system and apparently don't realize that. BUT, that stated, yours is the wrong answer.

(Yes, IKP, I know you can make 2+2=5. :lol: We're only talking simple probabilities here, not the stuff you deal with. ;))

It's a question of how you define your events. Two choices are: (1) Sabres win lottery or they do not, or (2) Sabres win lottery, Oilers win lottery, Panthers win lotttery, ..., 14th-worst team win lottery. In (1) the Sabres not winning is the most likely event, while in (2) the Sabres winning the lottery is.

The post that started this portion of the discussion was Robvious stating Reinhart most likely goes 1st and then the Sabres get to pick. Flounder then stated that wasn't the most likely scenario, the Sabres getting 1st forward either via pick 1 or Eulers winning lottery and choosing Ekblad was more likely. That is flat out incorrect and wrong.

Sorry, math is math. In math there is a right answer and a wrong answer. I realize it isn't your fault that you are a product of the current version of the public education system and apparently don't realize that. BUT, that stated, yours is the wrong answer.

(Yes, IKP, I know you can make 2+2=5. :lol: We're only talking simple probabilities here, not the stuff you deal with. ;))

The post that started this portion of the discussion was Robvious stating Reinhart most likely goes 1st and then the Sabres get to pick. Flounder then stated that wasn't the most likely scenario, the Sabres getting 1st forward either via pick 1 or Eulers winning lottery and choosing Ekblad was more likely. That is flat out incorrect and wrong.

Sigh, I am not sure how to explain my logical process any more clear. It is a different way of looking at things. You are using AND statements and I am using OR statements. Enjoy the name calling but I understand what I mean.

I never assume the other team will do something I wouldn't. That doesn't mean it can't happen, but if you're trying to predict what different teams will do, just ask what you would do in the same situation.

That's pretty much how last year's draft played out. The only one of the Magnificent Seven that I thought could fall to us was Nichushkin, and that's what happened. I really didn't think the other teams would pass over all of the others.

I would have to see the actual draft order before I could predict what the first place team would do. I am not convinced the Sabres draft Reinhart first overall.

Damned right.

If I am having it my way... I'm not at Burger King. :flirt:

All fast food is terrible, but you at least have to give them credit for this:

When the entire fast food industry was adding salads and crappy grilled chicken, Burger King doubled down on bacon, cheese, and adding shortening to their fries to make them even "fry-ier".

When the entire fast food industry was adding salads and crappy grilled chicken, Burger King doubled down on bacon, cheese, and adding shortening to their fries to make them even "fry-ier".

:lol:

Sigh, I am not sure how to explain my logical process any more clear. It is a different way of looking at things. You are using AND statements and I am using OR statements. Enjoy the name calling but I understand what I mean.

I understand what you mean.

Oilers or Sabres pick first is more likely than panthers pick first or islanders pick first or flames, etc.

This is a correct statement.

BUT.

It is more likely that NEITHER the oilers nor Sabres will pick first, in which case, the Sabres will get second choice of forwards.

Yeah I find it comical when the burger joints are offering salads, yogurts, apple slices, etc.

At least BK didn't try chicken wings. WTF was Mickey D's thinking. Clearly, no one on their R&D team is from WNY.

Yeah I find it comical when the burger joints are offering salads, yogurts, apple slices, etc.

At least BK didn't try chicken wings. WTF was Mickey D's thinking. Clearly, no one on their R&D team is from WNY.

Clearly no one on their R&D team is from Earth.

PS: Didn't they originally price that crap at $5 for 3 or something?

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.