Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

gotcha. I'd go 8-12, an average goalie isn't gonna get this team close to the playoffs.

They made the playoffs last year with average goaltending. Sure they lost Moulson, but Okposo is better and presumably Strome will be better, and you could argue Tavares even got better. If they were in the West I'd agree, but in the East? They could be within a few points of a playoff spot.

They made the playoffs last year with average goaltending. Sure they lost Moulson, but Okposo is better and presumably Strome will be better, and you could argue Tavares even got better. If they were in the West I'd agree, but in the East? They could be within a few points of a playoff spot.

Last year's data set was insufficient. They got hot for 15 games and made it in. That won't happen in a full season.

Also, Moulson and Boyes are both gone. That's the #2 and #3 points from the "playoff" team.

And Throw in Mark Streit. He was #5.

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

I can't figure out why so many people think the Islanders will be better next year.

Besides the Sabres, who projects to have a worse roster next year? Maybe Calgary?

Edmonton is more talented and should be a quicker fix.

Florida has a better cache of young players, a real goalie and is a more attractive free agent destination.

Ottawa? Carolina? It seems like each has more real NHL players.

Of course it's possible the Islanders could rebound, but it's not likely.

I can't figure out why so many people think the Islanders will be better next year.

Besides the Sabres, who projects to have a worse roster next year? Maybe Calgary?

Edmonton is more talented and should be a quicker fix.

Florida has a better cache of young players, a real goalie and is a more attractive free agent destination.

Ottawa? Carolina? It seems like each has more real NHL players.

Of course it's possible the Islanders could rebound, but it's not likely.

The Sabres, Devils, Flames, Islanders, and my long, long shot, Vancouver will be the worst teams next season IMO. I think the Sabres will be the worst, but not by the margin they are this season

If they're going to rely on 2 rookies 2 sophmores, travis hamonic and whatever UFA is willing to sign for budget numbers for them, I want them to pick this year more than ever.

I'm assuming Visnovsky is gonna call it quits before his brain falls apart.

You can't score enough goals to win with that blueline.

Edit: 8th -14th place? or 8th-14th pick?

They will draft 8th-14th next year.

They will draft 8th-14th next year.

Thanks.

Thinking about this more, I think you may be right, but not because their roster gets any better.

If we have their pick next year, they will have no reason to tank. My guess is AT LEAST 7 teams will be putting less than their best possible roster on the ice in an attempt to get to #1. so they'll finish 8th by default.

Please tell me how I will do on this test coming up, almighty soothsayer.

He was just clarifying my confusion as to what he meant.

The Islanders are going to rely on a bunch of hard working kids next year hard to say how they will do. Besides the Sabres, im not sure what other team I can say they are going to be better then next year.

1) Calgary we can say the same thing about - young and hard working (though they don't have a Tavares on their team).

2) Florida - will have Barkov and Luongo for a full year. Maybe Huberdeau bounces back from his sophmore slump

3) Carolina - Have a feeling they are going the Buffalo route by trading off their assets.

4) Edmonton - Hopefully with better goaltending and adding Nurse to their blueline and possibly Ekblad they should finally see some improvement

5) Vancouver - assuming they trade Kessler in the off-season and start a serious re-build.

6) Toronto - who knows what will happen to this team, if Bernier doesnt stand on his head again they could be passed by the Islanders.

I just don't see the Islanders gettting out of the group battling at the bottom of the standings next year and could finish anywhere from 22 to 29 (I reserved 30 for our Sabres).

That being said, Im still not 100% sure I want them to defer. 2 top 4/5 picks this year sure would look good in Blue and Gold in the coming years.

The Islanders are going to rely on a bunch of hard working kids next year hard to say how they will do. Besides the Sabres, im not sure what other team I can say they are going to be better then next year.

1) Calgary we can say the same thing about - young and hard working (though they don't have a Tavares on their team).

2) Florida - will have Barkov and Luongo for a full year. Maybe Huberdeau bounces back from his sophmore slump

3) Carolina - Have a feeling they are going the Buffalo route by trading off their assets.

4) Edmonton - Hopefully with better goaltending and adding Nurse to their blueline and possibly Ekblad they should finally see some improvement

5) Vancouver - assuming they trade Kessler in the off-season and start a serious re-build.

6) Toronto - who knows what will happen to this team, if Bernier doesnt stand on his head again they could be passed by the Islanders.

I just don't see the Islanders gettting out of the group battling at the bottom of the standings next year and could finish anywhere from 22 to 29 (I reserved 30 for our Sabres).

That being said, Im still not 100% sure I want them to defer. 2 top 4/5 picks this year sure would look good in Blue and Gold in the coming years.

I agree basically with your listing of the bottom 6/7 teams next year. IMO based on the draft classes, the #8 pick next year is probably worth the #4/5 pick this year in terms of expected talent received.

That being said, there is something to be noted about getting your prospect sooner rather than later, so you have an extra year of development and said prospect is one year closer to playing in the NHL. There is a reason the NFL values next year's first rounder roughly equivalent to this years second.

Get two of the top 5 players in this years draft and your turnaround timeline is potentially much shorter. Waiting for two 1st rounders next year pushes our playoff contention window a year further back.

I agree basically with your listing of the bottom 6/7 teams next year. IMO based on the draft classes, the #8 pick next year is probably worth the #4/5 pick this year in terms of expected talent received.

That being said, there is something to be noted about getting your prospect sooner rather than later, so you have an extra year of development and said prospect is one year closer to playing in the NHL. There is a reason the NFL values next year's first rounder roughly equivalent to this years second.

Get two of the top 5 players in this years draft and your turnaround timeline is potentially much shorter. Waiting for two 1st rounders next year pushes our playoff contention window a year further back.

Yep. And this is a good chunk of why I want NYI to finish just high enough that they decide to give us their pick this year.,

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.