Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I wonder if the islanders have a cut off draft position for where they defer/not defer. Right now it looks like they'll finish no better than 5th worst, so the 6th draft slot looks like worst case for them. So if they draft 6th do u think they still give us the 2015 pick? How about 5th? 4th? Etc.

And as a fan, is there a certain slot where ud rather have their pick this year over next year? For me I'm going to be happy either way, but if their pick is 1-4 this year I may be happier just taking this years and having that pick be one year closer (hopefully) to the nhl

I'm guessing if they have a top five pick they use it and then go hard after UFA's so that we don't have a top ten next year. Just my guess

Update on the tank rank:

We're currently in last place. Eight points behind Edmonton who has played one more game than us.

The team is on pace for 58 points which only three other teams currently have less than.

If we get a point per game for the rest of the season that would give us 62 points which only four other teams have less than.

Our goal differential is -63 which is -14 more than the next lowest. That's 128 below the highest in the league (St. Louis at +65).

Only 129 goals. That's 23 below the next lowest and 94 below league-leading Chicago.

13 regulation and overtime wins is lowest in the league. Florida is second lowest with 17.

If we finish on a point-per-game pace, which would leave us with 63 points, then the following teams would have to finish with these records to have a better slot in the lottery than us:

Edmonton Oilers: 3-10-3 (9 points or worse in 16 games)

Florida Panthers: 3-12-2 (8 points or worse in 17 games)

New York Islanders: 2-13-0 (4 points or worse in 15 games)

Calgary Flames: 2-14-2 (6 points or worse in 17 games)

Projection of the remaining schedule... (I gave Buffalo a regulation win over Edmonton, Calgary and New York Isles each time the teams played and had Buffalo pulling off some upsets while everybody else finished poorly):

Buffalo finished with 62 points (6-7-4).

Edmonton finished with 61 points (2-12-3). Their schedule is BRUTAL (St. Louis, Anaheim three times, San Jose twice, LA, Colorado)

Calgary finished with 65 points (3-10-5).

New York Islanders finished with 66 points (2-9-5).

Florida finished with 63 points (2-10-4).

every time I see your new handle I see and hear this in my head...

post-61-0-69313100-1394542382_thumb.jpg

Fargin.... iceholes.. LOL

P.S. My men's league team won the other nite 7-1, had a goal and assist. Fun to get back on the ice but my groin is still in my ankles... sucks getting old.

Edited by Icehole

Buffalo finished with 62 points (6-7-4).

Edmonton finished with 61 points (2-12-3). Their schedule is BRUTAL (St. Louis, Anaheim three times, San Jose twice, LA, Colorado)

Calgary finished with 65 points (3-10-5).

New York Islanders finished with 66 points (2-9-5).

Florida finished with 63 points (2-10-4).

Man last night was great for the tank. With Buffalo up 1-0 early and Edmonton down 2-0 early I thought here we go, we will only be up by 4 points with us having to play an extra game. But the Tank prevailed and we got a huge comeback shootout win by Edmonton last night!!

Just out of curiousity, if you have Buffalo beating those 3 bottom feeders (Isels twice) who do you have as Buffalo's other two 'upsets'? I see Carolina as a very beatable team, New Jersey as a reasonable chance for a win and Vancouver is in a tailspin and can certainly be beaten. On top of that we have 2 more against the Red Wings who are banged up and not a very great team this year.

Man last night was great for the tank. With Buffalo up 1-0 early and Edmonton down 2-0 early I thought here we go, we will only be up by 4 points with us having to play an extra game. But the Tank prevailed and we got a huge comeback shootout win by Edmonton last night!!

Just out of curiousity, if you have Buffalo beating those 3 bottom feeders (Isels twice) who do you have as Buffalo's other two 'upsets'? I see Carolina as a very beatable team, New Jersey as a reasonable chance for a win and Vancouver is in a tailspin and can certainly be beaten. On top of that we have 2 more against the Red Wings who are banged up and not a very great team this year.

Carolina and NJ. For some reason I felt like I was way more liberal with my upsets haha. I guess I went with OTLs then.

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

Changes to pre-draft combine coming. Very likely no future individual team testing will be allowed past combine. Hockey Ops will manage

I think this is stupid unless they plan to expand the combine and get rid of the mickey mouse ###### one they do.

That is stupid!

I have been a strong and long supporter of Leon, dating back to the 2012/13 WJC. But, i am already sold on Sam Bennett. Not only from his video highlights, to his work ethic, to him loving Doug Gilmour and being mentored by him, to him being a "gamer" type player, in your face guy, he also loves to score.

He's 17 years old now and projects 102 points over the course of 63 games. That is very similar to the numbers Tyler Seguin and Taylor Hall had as 18 year old players in the OHL.

As 18 year olds per 63 game comparisons-

Seguin- 106 in 63 games.... pace of 1.7ppg

Hall - 117 in 63... pace of 1.9ppg

With only a small increase of PPG from this season to his 18yo season, Bennett will be projected to score at a higher rate then either of those two.

Yeah, this is exactly the sort of analysis I'm doing, with a few extra variables. Right now I have Bennett a little behind Hall and ahead of Seguin. There will be an original 6 in the lotto, right?

I wanted to ask you about the draft process. My guess is that they ask if you want to be drafted, and that's why Vanek wasn't drafted at 17, and why the college player the Islanders signed yesterday wasn't drafted last year, because he'd rather be a free agent this year rather than a 4th round pick last year. That right?

Next time I'll look at Draisaitl with part year stats

Yeah, this is exactly the sort of analysis I'm doing, with a few extra variables. Right now I have Bennett a little behind Hall and ahead of Seguin. There will be an original 6 in the lotto, right?

I wanted to ask you about the draft process. My guess is that they ask if you want to be drafted, and that's why Vanek wasn't drafted at 17, and why the college player the Islanders signed yesterday wasn't drafted last year, because he'd rather be a free agent this year rather than a 4th round pick last year. That right?

Next time I'll look at Draisaitl with part year stats

Vanek couldn't enter the draft at age 17 because of his draft birthdate. You must be 18 years old as of September 15th of the draft year. For example, Tavares turned 18 on Sept 20th, and missed the 2008 draft by 5 days.

As for Kevin Czuczman, the reason he wasn't drafted was because he fell into a different category. To be a North American player and be eligible for the draft, you can't be 20 years old or older as of December 31st of the draft year. His freshman year with Lake Superior was when he was 20 years old. Same with Chris Tanev from RIT, he was an overage player at RIT and thus when he left RIT, he became a free agent and never was entered for the draft.

With Bennett vs. Seguin/Hall, the reason why his draft eligibility is when he's younger, he is currently 17, is because he has a late birthdate (June) and thus one of the youngest players in the 2014 draft.

Vanek couldn't enter the draft at age 17 because of his draft birthdate. You must be 18 years old as of September 15th of the draft year. For example, Tavares turned 18 on Sept 20th, and missed the 2008 draft by 5 days.

As for Kevin Czuczman, the reason he wasn't drafted was because he fell into a different category. To be a North American player and be eligible for the draft, you can't be 20 years old or older as of December 31st of the draft year. His freshman year with Lake Superior was when he was 20 years old. Same with Chris Tanev from RIT, he was an overage player at RIT and thus when he left RIT, he became a free agent and never was entered for the draft.

With Bennett vs. Seguin/Hall, the reason why his draft eligibility is when he's younger, he is currently 17, is because he has a late birthdate (June) and thus one of the youngest players in the 2014 draft.

I'll add a little bit to this one since I wonder if this is where the confusion came from. The NHL draft isn't like the NFL or NBA drafts where a player has to opt in. Like you're hinting at above, if you are within a certain age range, you are automatically eligible for the draft. If you're outside of that age range, either too young or too old, you are not. There used to be a crazy exception for college players, but that is long gone. I believe the last high profile situation for that was when Rick DiPietro gave up his NCAA eligibility after his freshman year in order to enter the draft and go #1 overall.

I'll add a little bit to this one since I wonder if this is where the confusion came from. The NHL draft isn't like the NFL or NBA drafts where a player has to opt in. Like you're hinting at above, if you are within a certain age range, you are automatically eligible for the draft. If you're outside of that age range, either too young or too old, you are not. There used to be a crazy exception for college players, but that is long gone. I believe the last high profile situation for that was when Rick DiPietro gave up his NCAA eligibility after his freshman year in order to enter the draft and go #1 overall.

Thanks, that explains some stuff. There's a note on the 2004 rankings that Stastny had not opted in, which is why he was drafted in 2005. I haven't seen anything like that since, so it's probably a rule change. Looking at the CSS final 2004 rankings it was the College kids, USHL, and the HS kids who had to opt in. The CSS final 2005 does not have the same note.

I was relieved to read today that expansion is unlikely to ###### away our top pick(s) in 2015. But then I saw the DBTHB blog suggest that, owing to the McDavid factor, changes could be afoot for the NHL lottery system. Big surprise: The changes aren't expected to benefit teams at the bottom.

http://www.diebytheb...-no-coincidence

edit: a word that rhymes with "patch" and can mean to swipe something away from someone is barred by the filters? but dick is not?

Edited by That Aud Smell

I was relieved to read today that expansion is unlikely to ###### away our top pick(s) in 2015. But then I saw the DBTHB blog suggest that, owing to the McDavid factor, changes could be afoot for the NHL lottery system. Big surprise: The changes aren't expected to benefit teams at the bottom.

http://www.diebytheb...-no-coincidence

edit: a word that rhymes with "patch" and can mean to swipe something away from someone is barred by the filters? but dick is not?

interesting, and depending on just how great the changes are to the lottery it could change my support for the tank next year to an extent. But if the last place team under the new system can still pick no later than second it will not change my support one bit. McDavid is the grand slam, but there are still a few three run homers available next year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.