Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I have been a strong and long supporter of Leon, dating back to the 2012/13 WJC. But, i am already sold on Sam Bennett. Not only from his video highlights, to his work ethic, to him loving Doug Gilmour and being mentored by him, to him being a "gamer" type player, in your face guy, he also loves to score.

He's 17 years old now and projects 102 points over the course of 63 games. That is very similar to the numbers Tyler Seguin and Taylor Hall had as 18 year old players in the OHL.

As 18 year olds per 63 game comparisons-

Seguin- 106 in 63 games.... pace of 1.7ppg

Hall - 117 in 63... pace of 1.9ppg

With only a small increase of PPG from this season to his 18yo season, Bennett will be projected to score at a higher rate then either of those two.

I'm really curious to see who TM drafts overall (if it is indeed the 1st). The guy is well known for his talent evaluation, from what I've gathered I'd say at least in the top 10 of NHL GM's in regards to evaluating prospects. This debate of Ekbland, Reinhart, Bennett, and Draisaitl has been going on a while, and they all seem very, very close in their rankings. I have faith in TMGM to make the right call, and even though we won't know for years who ends up the best player, I his decision can highlight the accuracy of some of the things we've discussed on her

"Ekbland" is a pretty good nickname for how I feel about drafting Ekblad.

I'm actually Lafontaine trying to sabotage GMTM by subliminally convincing this board into demanding we draft a forward thereby making TM, who I know to be too smart to not see through my ploy, to draft a top-end forward. However, knowing this I will continue in my scheme to assure a rift between GMTM and TP; TP, clearly not a hockey man and blood thirsty for power and revenge, will of course not see through my plan, despite GMTM's warnings, and will draft Ekbland out of pure spite for me, thereby fulfilling my evil plot to help the Islander's win the 2015 Tank and finally making amends with them.

Updates 2/28/14

Michael Dal Colle: 35g, 52a, 87pts, 61g = 39g, 58a, 97pts, 68gp

Sam Bennett: 32g, 52a, 84pts, 52gp = 42g, 68a, 110pts, 68gp

Sam Reinhart: 34g, 59a, 93pts, 51gp = 45g, 79a, 124pts, 68gp

Jake Virtanen: 40g, 23a, 63pts, 62gp = 44g, 25a, 69pts, 68gp

Updates 3/10/14

Michael Dal Colle: 38g, 56a, 94pts, 65gp = 40g, 59a, 99pts, 68gp

Sam Bennett: 36g, 55a, 91pts, 56gp = 44g, 67a, 111pts, 68gp

Samson Reinhart: 34g, 64a, 98pts, 56gp = 41g, 78a, 119pts, 68gp

Jake Virtanen: 42g, 25a, 67pts, 68gp = Final.

Leon Draisaitl: 35g, 62a, 97pts, 60gp = 40g, 70a, 110pts, 68gp

Updates 3/10/14

Michael Dal Colle: 38g, 56a, 94pts, 65gp = 40g, 59a, 99pts, 68gp

Sam Bennett: 36g, 55a, 91pts, 56gp = 44g, 67a, 111pts, 68gp

Samson Reinhart: 34g, 64a, 98pts, 56gp = 41g, 78a, 119pts, 68gp

Jake Virtanen: 42g, 25a, 67pts, 68gp = Final.

Leon Draisaitl: 35g, 62a, 97pts, 60gp = 40g, 70a, 110pts, 68gp

And Oshawa wraps up 1st overall in the OHL Eastern Conference!! Largely on the backs of Dal Colle and Scott Laughton. Can't wait to see how Dal Colle performs in the playoffs. Having said that it looks more and more likely he will probably go around 5th and he won't really be in our conversation unless the Isles give us the 2014 pick.

Well this is interesting... Vogl retweeted it:

Craig Custance@CraigCustance

Talk among GMs about limiting personal team combines for draft prospects. Would have to come with expanded NHL draft combine

Sabres brought in 85 draft prospects last year for personal combines. By comparison Senators brought in 5-6

I don't think a limit should exist. If you have the resources you should be allowed to bring in players to scout. At most maybe limit it to something like 50.

I think it should be limited. They should have a couple mass scouting combines. Give players like three dates and they can all choose which to go to. Make each a weekend long so teams can observe and meet with players.

is the NFL limited? I know schools have pro-days and what not, so it's hard to have a direct comparison.

Well this is interesting... Vogl retweeted it:

Talk among GMs about limiting personal team combines for draft prospects. Would have to come with expanded NHL draft combine

Sabres brought in 85 draft prospects last year for personal combines. By comparison Senators brought in 5-6

I don't think a limit should exist. If you have the resources you should be allowed to bring in players to scout. At most maybe limit it to something like 50.

I wonder if this is why the Sabres are pushing (or already made the pitch? Can't remember) to move the scouting combine to Buffalo once HARBORCENTER is complete. Move it here and expand it to an NFL-style event.

I wonder if this is why the Sabres are pushing (or already made the pitch? Can't remember) to move the scouting combine to Buffalo once HARBORCENTER is complete. Move it here and expand it to an NFL-style event.

I think hosting a league-wide scouting combine is more a matter of PR and economics, far over preserving the ability to scout as many prospects as possible (which they can do, presently, outside an inclusive combine). That's not to say this can't be another bullet point among the reasons why, but I would hazard to say it's low on the list...right now.

However, I do not understand the complaint from the GMs, other than it being a superficial "fairness" thing. How much can it cost that having dozens of personal combines is restrictive or unfair? Stupid.

Edited by sizzlemeister

is the NFL limited? I know schools have pro-days and what not, so it's hard to have a direct comparison.

Yea, teams in the NFL can have 30 visitors. I think that's a fair numbers, especially considering both drafts are similar in length.

I'm bored, so here's an update on the tank...

We're currently in last place. Six points behind Edmonton who has played one more game than us.

The team is on pace for 59 points which only four other teams currently have less than.

If we get a point per game for the rest of the season that would give us 64 points which only six other teams have less than.

Our goal differential is -60 which is -10 more than the next lowest. That's 126 below the highest in the league (St. Louis at +66).

Only 128 goals. That's 22 below the next lowest and 95 below league-leading Chicago.

13 regulation and overtime wins is lowest in the league. Florida is second lowest with 17.

If we finish on a point-per-game pace, which would leave us with 64 points, then the following teams would have to finish with these records to have a better slot in the lottery than us:

Edmonton Oilers: 5-9-2 (12 points or worse in 17 games)

Florida Panthers: 3-12-3 (9 points or worse in 18 games)

New York Islanders: 3-12-1 (7 points or worse in 16 games)

Calgary Flames: 3-14-1 (7 points or worse in 18 games)

Nashville Predators: 1-17-0 (2 points or worse in 18 games) EDIT: Preds won tonight, meaning they have to go 0-17-0 if we finish at a PPG pace.

Carolina Hurricanes: 0-17-1 (1 point or worse in 18 games)

The tank is almost complete.

Edited by Tankalicious

Well then.

I am confident that the Sabres will be picking #1, or #2, come June.

No matter how inspired they play under Nolan, their lead is insurmountable.

Doh ! Thats like saying shutout with a minute left in the game. Now you've done it. :wallbash:

Also, more tank boredom:

I just did a projection based on the remaining schedule (I gave Buffalo a regulation win over Edmonton, Calgary and New York Isles each time the teams played and had Buffalo pulling off some upsets while everybody else finished poorly):

Buffalo finished with 64 points (7-7-4).

Edmonton finished with 59 points (2-12-3). Their schedule is BRUTAL (St. Louis, Anaheim three times, San Jose twice, LA, Colorado)

Calgary finished with 65 points (3-10-5).

New York Islanders finished with 66 points (2-9-5).

Florida finished with 63 points (2-11-4).

There were some teams that I put down as automatic regulation losses whenever any of the teams played them which obviously isn't how it works. And it's doubtful that Buffalo wins in regulation everytime it plays these teams. So a worst-case-scenario seems to be third in the lottery.

I'm bored, so here's an update on the tank...

We're currently in last place. Six points behind Edmonton who has played one more game than us.

The team is on pace for 59 points which only four other teams currently have less than.

If we get a point per game for the rest of the season that would give us 64 points which only six other teams have less than.

Our goal differential is -60 which is -10 more than the next lowest. That's 126 below the highest in the league (St. Louis at +66).

Only 128 goals. That's 22 below the next lowest and 95 below league-leading Chicago.

13 regulation and overtime wins is lowest in the league. Florida is second lowest with 17.

If we finish on a point-per-game pace, which would leave us with 64 points, then the following teams would have to finish with these records to have a better slot in the lottery than us:

Edmonton Oilers: 5-9-2 (12 points or worse in 17 games)

Florida Panthers: 3-12-3 (9 points or worse in 18 games)

New York Islanders: 3-12-1 (7 points or worse in 16 games)

Calgary Flames: 3-14-1 (7 points or worse in 18 games)

Nashville Predators: 1-17-0 (2 points or worse in 18 games)

Carolina Hurricanes: 0-17-1 (1 point or worse in 18 games)

The tank is almost complete.

Nice work

Latest rankings from TSN's Craig Custance

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Not much has changed in the top.

Interesting list on SBnation: http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2014/3/8/5486566/2014-nhl-draft-prospects-1-10 updated

And the hockeywriters recent update; http://thehockeywriters.com/2014-nhl-draft-rankings-next-ones/

Latest rankings from TSN's Craig Custance

http://www.tsn.ca/dr...ature/?id=49649

Not much has changed in the top.

Interesting list on SBnation: http://www.nucksmisc...-prospects-1-10 updated

And the hockeywriters recent update; http://thehockeywrit...ings-next-ones/

every time I see your new handle I see and hear this in my head...

post-61-0-69313100-1394542382_thumb.jpg

I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy cork-soakers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Sure, but it'd take a lot for it to go down like that.

I guess that is true but it just goes to show it certainly can happen and the way we've ruined draft spots in the past is probably contributing me to thinking it has a better chance of happening than it really does.

I never thought we would have had a chance against Boston and San Jose a couple of weeks ago but won those. Really I didn't think we had much of a shot against Tampa either but pulled that one off. Then I think ok, we've been on a bit of a run but we will probably get beat by Chicago by 5 goals. We did lose obviously, however there was a Sabres shot to the net late in the game that had a decent shot of tying it.

I wonder if the islanders have a cut off draft position for where they defer/not defer. Right now it looks like they'll finish no better than 5th worst, so the 6th draft slot looks like worst case for them. So if they draft 6th do u think they still give us the 2015 pick? How about 5th? 4th? Etc.

And as a fan, is there a certain slot where ud rather have their pick this year over next year? For me I'm going to be happy either way, but if their pick is 1-4 this year I may be happier just taking this years and having that pick be one year closer (hopefully) to the nhl

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.