Worst team in Franchise History

papazoid

I don't understand why they at least don't work hard. They have nothing to lose at this point. They can't be afraid to make a mistake can they?

Why would they work hard. They've been told by their GM that they are awful. In fact, they've been told by their GM that that is the organization's plan for them to be awful. They are just doing their job by not working hard.

I really find all of this unbelievable.

Darcy is Rasputin,… or maybe David Koresh. Either way, it's not going to end well.

Why would they work hard. They've been told by their GM that they are awful. In fact, they've been told by their GM that that is the organization's plan for them to be awful. They are just doing their job by not working hard.

Darcy is Rasputin,… or maybe David Koresh. Either way, it's not going to end well.

Just like 11 did back when ...

... you made me do it ..........

:flirt:

I actually think there is something to this. If the organization is implicitly telling the fans and players that they prefer losing in order to get a better draft pick then why not just collect a paycheck and get on with your life? The organization wants you to lose... so in some sense these guys are just doing their job.

That's a TERRIBLE attitude to instill any team with. Aren't there a lot of quality rookies the Sabres want to retain into this hypothetical 'rebuild'? A year or two of being immersed in that kind of corrosive atmosphere will ruin them. They'll be poisoned by it, at least that would be my fear.

Edited by Jsixspd

I must have missed the GM telling them they are awful, but it didn't work for Cleveland in the movie Major League.. :rolleyes:

This team has stopped working a few years back. I thought it was Ruff but I guess I was wrong.

It is truly amazing how bad they are. If they worked hard and just didn't have the talent, I would think they would get better eventually with a few additional pieces and upgrades. But how will they ever get better if they don't have the work ethic. Another year of this, which seems inevitable, and the rookies and 1 year players may never pan out. They may become part of the problem. So far this season the Sabres have done absolutely nothing to create any confidence that they will eventually get better.

Consistent work ethic is an issue with some players, but it is not the Sabres biggest problem.

Very little front-line talent, nine players with little to no NHL experience, poor chemistry, a rookie coach who looks to be in over his head and a management group who has sent the message they expect and want to be bad.

If only things could be fixed with more effort.

A majority of these guys should be in the AHL.

Even with all 19 guys giving it their all, they are still going to lose most games.

Consistent work ethic is an issue with some players, but it is not the Sabres biggest problem.

Very little front-line talent, nine players with little to no NHL experience, poor chemistry, a rookie coach who looks to be in over his head and a management group who has sent the message they expect and want to be bad.

If only things could be fixed with more effort.

A majority of these guys should be in the AHL.

Even with all 19 guys giving it their all, they are still going to lose most games.

Agreed. The difference between the Sabres and other team's is the how hard they work, but when other team's aren't going 100 mph, they still look like NHL teams. When the Sabres go only 80-90%, they look like an average AHL team. It's the talent.

It is truly amazing how bad they are. If they worked hard and just didn't have the talent, I would think they would get better eventually with a few additional pieces and upgrades. But how will they ever get better if they don't have the work ethic. Another year of this, which seems inevitable, and the rookies and 1 year players may never pan out. They may become part of the problem. So far this season the Sabres have done absolutely nothing to create any confidence that they will eventually get better.

Good post. Everyone has lost confidence in Darcy except (apparently) for Terry Pegula and his "hockey guys." We the fans lost confidence in him long ago, and I have no doubt that the players have as well. We've got an AHL coach with a bunch of AHL players who don't work hard because they're so inept working hard doesn't lead to positive outcomes. Why bother. And, they were told before the year began by our GM that we were "rebuilding" and it was a lost year. The veterans can't wait to be traded elsewhere. Complete organizational failure.

I still cannot fathom how the coach that was hired by the GM gets fired, the coach goes to another team and enjoys a winning record, the GM's hand-picked replacement coach leads a team setting records for futility and failure, and yet the GM still has a job?

That is managerial incompetence, or nothing is.

The media needs to take the kid gloves off the next time Terry Pegula steps to the mic and start asking hardball type questions, instead of the usual softballs. They also need to convey to Terry Pegula that the Sabres fans are fed up with the excuses being made for Darcy Regier year after year.

We all had such high hopes when Terry Pegula bought the team, but Pegula is rapidly morphing into a Ralph Wilson Jr Jr., surrounding himself with yes men and sycophants, ie, an "inner circle", meddling in the player and personnel decisions by his own admission, rather than entrusting it to the best GM that he can hire for that role, and unable to see the forest from the trees.

Edited by Jsixspd

The Sabres are on pace for 30.2 points. The NHL-leading Ducks have 29 points.

It's strange to think: "When will we get (x) points?" When will we cross 20? When will we even have 30 points? I don't see them actually being below 50 points, but you have to wonder if they will end up there. January sets up for a patented late season run to another mediocre pick. Devils, Canes (x2), Panthers (x2), Blue Jackets (x2), Caps (x2), Flyers. While you can say easily say that those teams are better than us (except maybe Florida), they're bound to pull off a few victories in there.

I mean at this point, 25%through the season, we are easily the worst team in the league..... What's the point of trying to even win..... The run we would have to go on to make the playoffs is the equivalent of performing 2 back to back iron man races.... With our coach and players it just ain't happening....

So yes darcy is here and that sucks and we have young talent to develop, and they're not getting the right environment to learn in..... The draft is no guarantee either .... But there is no other way than to tank and hope that the draft is our friend.

At this point I'm growing tired of watching them, and I usually try and watch all buffalo games regardless of how bad they are.... The most exciting part of this season is Drane's contest lol

The Sabres are on pace for 30.2 points. The NHL-leading Ducks have 29 points.

It's strange to think: "When will we get (x) points?" When will we cross 20? When will we even have 30 points? I don't see them actually being below 50 points, but you have to wonder if they will end up there. January sets up for a patented late season run to another mediocre pick. Devils, Canes (x2), Panthers (x2), Blue Jackets (x2), Caps (x2), Flyers. While you can say easily say that those teams are better than us (except maybe Florida), they're bound to pull off a few victories in there.

In fairness, 4 of those did come against the Sabres.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully Girgensons or Larsson will develop into that. Girgensons has a pretty good shot, I think.

I'm think Girgensons has that potential which is why I listed him as one of the players I wouldn't move. I think we still need somebody to hold that spot until he has a chance to develop more though. Given the loss of Pominville and Vanek and the impending loss of Miller, Ott, and Moulson we can definitely afford to overpay a few veterans at key positions and a defensive minded center should be at or near the top of the list. Just this past year we could have gone after guys like Filppula or Grabovski and I'm sure there were others available. Hopefully there will be a few more this offseason. Then we can put Girgensons on said players wing where he can learn the ropes up close.

I'd trade anyone in this organization other than Ristolainen, Zadarov, Girgensons, and Hodgson for a defensive minded center who could pot 20 goals.

That should be easy, I mean defensive minded centers that score 20 goals are a dime a dozen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.