Official Sabres Injury Thread

Wyldnwoody44

I had thought that baseline tests at the professional level were more equipment-driven and therefore objective (like hooking sensor patches up to your temples type thing) -- they appear to be more based on a clinician's Q&A, use of flash cards, cognitive drills (re-ordering shapes?), and such.

Don't they have pre-camp baseline tests for all players these days?

Sure. Which is why you're cleared if you "pass your baseline" after an incident (provided you have no other symptoms, I suppose).

Baseline testing for a concussion is mainly solely on cognitive functioning, memory and etc like that..... An MRI/CT may show varying degrees of concussions as well.... With a KO there is no physical medical guarantee that a concussion was imminent. However logically, yes if you get knocked out, you prolly have at least a mild one at least in my experience.... The jaw is the concern as a broken jaw takes much longer to recover from than a mild concussion.

The test includes:

Symptom Score

Physical signs score

Glasgow coma score

Balance examination score

Coordination score

Orientation score

Immediate memory score

Concentration score

Delayed recall score

All these are put together to determine concussion and cleared to play.

Can you send an injured player down to the AHL?

It won't matter though with the cap (we are under) and we can pt him on IR since he will be out longer than 4 weeks (it is 4 weeks correct?)

Although I assume Nobody is actually worried about the # of players on the Roster as opposed to cap concerns. Pretty the broken hand doesn't affect that.

It won't matter though with the cap (we are under) and we can pt him on IR since he will be out longer than 4 weeks (it is 4 weeks correct?)

Although I assume Nobody is actually worried about the # of players on the Roster as opposed to cap concerns. Pretty the broken hand doesn't affect that.

Yep - I think this leads to more of the young guys being sent down leaving Flynn/Porter types back on the team.

I thought it was 1 week for IR, and you can make it retroactive.

Per Kevin Sylvester, armia out 5-6 weeks with broken hand.

It's what we all expected, prolly won't see a stick in his hands for at least 4 weeks

Looking at a potential late season call up it looks like. Too bad this injury will slow his development by a month and a half. I was hoping that he starts in Rochester and could be up by Christmas if there were a couple of injuries on the big club. Guess not.

Looking at a potential late season call up it looks like. Too bad this injury will slow his development by a month and a half. I was hoping that he starts in Rochester and could be up by Christmas if there were a couple of injuries on the big club. Guess not.

Yeah it's pretty bad timing.... He looked good with the young line the other night, overall he has some good potential. Let's just hope we don't have too many flies falling early in the season.

Archived