The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Correct.

I probably have a minor excess of protein since chicken, eggs and the shakes are a regular part of my diet, but I could do better with my overall diet.

And the mental thing is probably the main reason I keep myself going.

Healthy body, healthy mind, as the old adage goes. 

Welcome back, Hoss.  Physical exercise is sometimes even better at improving one's mental state than appearance.  Good stuff.

Edit:  And now I see you've been back for a bit (I haven't been keeping up on all the threads).  Carry on!

Edited by biodork

Hoss... (PA tips his Stetson and launches some juicy chaw at Hoss' boots)

Oh, don't you tease me! I haven't had a dip in something like 6 months, and this sounds freaking delicious! 

Spent today sweating in the back yard. Laying down new mulch, and trimming the hedges. The bitch of it is, they aren't even my hedges! Damn neighbors trees growing through and over my fence. Whelp, they're gone now! Now I have to swing by Home Depot to pick up some of that pruning sealant to keep them from coming back every year.

It's a damn fine day to be working outside! Beer me!  

All of the cool biking pics in this thread inspired me to take a few of my own. This is my favorite shot, overlooking UB north campus from the other side of Lake LaSalle. I'm just now getting back into biking, and I deeply regret not riding more during my four years here. However, I'll be moving down to Columbus next month, and I hear great things about the paths around the city and suburbs. I plan to start biking much more once there, which leads me to a few questions for you serious bikers....

The Diamondback you see in this picture isn't coming with me (it's my dad's old bike, nearly as old as I am). I'm looking to buy a new one once I'm down there. I'll be doing mostly paved path and street riding, trips probably topping out at 40 miles and usually closer to 15 miles on average. I'll never be riding competitively, just for exercise and recreation. I don't envision that I'll go off-roading too often, but maybe the occasional cuts through the grass/gravel, that sort of thing. I'm a bigger guy (6'1", 250lbs. right now, although my goal is 200lbs. before my wedding next year :) ). Not sure if that matters, but thought it might come into play regarding getting a sturdier frame... So my questions:

• Should I look to get a road bike or a hybrid? I'm strongly leading hybrid, but don't have much experience purchasing bikes. What do you guys ride?
  • Any recommendations for padded biking shorts? Those seem like a necessity. 
  • For locals: Is Bert's the best local bike shop to go and get fitted? I'm not buying until down in Cbus, but I'd like to have some idea before I go. Any places you've had good experiences?

lA0fuzT.jpg

Oh, don't you tease me! I haven't had a dip in something like 6 months, and this sounds freaking delicious!

Spent today sweating in the back yard. Laying down new mulch, and trimming the hedges. The bitch of it is, they aren't even my hedges! Damn neighbors trees growing through and over my fence. Whelp, they're gone now! Now I have to swing by Home Depot to pick up some of that pruning sealant to keep them from coming back every year.

It's a damn fine day to be working outside! Beer me!

What is this pruning sealant of which you speak? I must know more.

All of the cool biking pics in this thread inspired me to take a few of my own. This is my favorite shot, overlooking UB north campus from the other side of Lake LaSalle. I'm just now getting back into biking, and I deeply regret not riding more during my four years here. However, I'll be moving down to Columbus next month, and I hear great things about the paths around the city and suburbs. I plan to start biking much more once there, which leads me to a few questions for you serious bikers....

The Diamondback you see in this picture isn't coming with me (it's my dad's old bike, nearly as old as I am). I'm looking to buy a new one once I'm down there. I'll be doing mostly paved path and street riding, trips probably topping out at 40 miles and usually closer to 15 miles on average. I'll never be riding competitively, just for exercise and recreation. I don't envision that I'll go off-roading too often, but maybe the occasional cuts through the grass/gravel, that sort of thing. I'm a bigger guy (6'1", 250lbs. right now, although my goal is 200lbs. before my wedding next year :) ). Not sure if that matters, but thought it might come into play regarding getting a sturdier frame... So my questions:

• Should I look to get a road bike or a hybrid? I'm strongly leading hybrid, but don't have much experience purchasing bikes. What do you guys ride?
  • Any recommendations for padded biking shorts? Those seem like a necessity. 
  • For locals: Is Bert's the best local bike shop to go and get fitted? I'm not buying until down in Cbus, but I'd like to have some idea before I go. Any places you've had good experiences?

I bought a Trek X-Caliber, which is a hardtail mountain bike (no rear suspension). It's more aggressive than a hybird, but less aggressive than a dedicated trail bike. Some call it a cross country bike. I've been using it mostly for road biking right now. It's perfectly fine for road biking/commuting, it's just a little slower than a hybrid, and even slower than a road bike because of the gearing and wide tires. If you don't plan to hit anything more aggressive than gravel/hard pack, a hybrid will be perfect. Especially one with front suspension. That is, if you prefer an upright riding position. 

I can't help you with local stores, but do yourself a favor and go to a bike shop instead of a chain sports store. You'll get better input. If you can't decide which size frame, go and test drive certain bikes. The charts aren't always right. I'm only 5'9" and everybody said I needed a 17.5" frame. I test drove it and I didn't like it. Had to go with an 18.5". 

Not sure about what you plan to spend, but it seems GT, Giant, Trek, Specialized......... the're all pretty reputable and it's a matter of personal preference. If you see a base model and want to step up a notch to a bike with upgrades, the first I recommend is hydraulic disc brakes. You will not regret the decision. 

As far as bike pants, if you get the right seat and adjust it correctly, you won't need them. I've been making some real long trips lately and I haven't had any issue wearing your standard athletic shorts. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Any of you live in Buffalo and do rock climbing or bouldering?

I'm getting back into it here in Roc and wanna nail down some places when I move in a few months. 

I used to, but I never have when I lived here.  Niagara Gorge, maybe?

Saw the picture before I read it and went "oh cool, the spine from Lake LaSalle." Haven't been there for 11 years and it still feels like yesterday. Good times.

Hope it brought back some nice memories! I'm very excited for the move and to start work, but at the same time I will really miss this place. 

I bought a Trek X-Caliber, which is a hardtail mountain bike (no rear suspension). It's more aggressive than a hybird, but less aggressive than a dedicated trail bike. Some call it a cross country bike. I've been using it mostly for road biking right now. It's perfectly fine for road biking/commuting, it's just a little slower than a hybrid, and even slower than a road bike because of the gearing and wide tires. If you don't plan to hit anything more aggressive than gravel/hard pack, a hybrid will be perfect. Especially one with front suspension. That is, if you prefer an upright riding position. 

I can't help you with local stores, but do yourself a favor and go to a bike shop instead of a chain sports store. You'll get better input. If you can't decide which size frame, go and test drive certain bikes. The charts aren't always right. I'm only 5'9" and everybody said I needed a 17.5" frame. I test drove it and I didn't like it. Had to go with an 18.5". 

Not sure about what you plan to spend, but it seems GT, Giant, Trek, Specialized......... the're all pretty reputable and it's a matter of personal preference. If you see a base model and want to step up a notch to a bike with upgrades, the first I recommend is hydraulic disc brakes. You will not regret the decision. 

As far as bike pants, if you get the right seat and adjust it correctly, you won't need them. I've been making some real long trips lately and I haven't had any issue wearing your standard athletic shorts. 

Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond yesterday.. Awesome input, this is just the type of thing I was hoping for. Thanks!

I do prefer a more upright position, and I will definitely get fitted AND test drive before I buy anything. This bike I'm riding now is a bit too small and I have been feeling the repercussions in my lower back. 

I like the idea of getting something in the "cross-country" territory. Like I said, I'll do mostly street and paved trail riding, but I wouldn't mind the versatility if I found some cool trails off-road or ever had to do serious gravel biking, that sort of thing. I think I'll end up going hybrid or unaggressive mountain, somewhere in there based on fit and value. I'm much less concerned with getting from point A to point B as fast as possible. I'm in it for the exercise and the fun of exploring new trails, biking to places I'd normally drive on a sunny day, etc. So something practical and versatile sounds just right.

Interesting suggestion on the brakes.. As an inexperienced rider, it's not something I would have immediately thought of. I looked into it a bit after reading your suggestion, and I definitely see the value in that upgrade. If there's room in the budget, perhaps that's something I will pursue. I kind of thought that mechanical bike brakes were what they were. Cool that you can upgrade them!

Also interesting that you recommend a seat over padded shorts. I went to Dick's yesterday and browsed a few pairs of shorts. They had all of the replacement seats right next to them, and I thought to myself, "that's a much better idea." Comfort-wise and laundry-wise, seems like a winner over the shorts. Dick's carried only the Selle Royal line, so those are what I saw. You've obviously gotta sit on the seat to know you like it, so I'm thinking I should just buy one or two, give them each a shot, and return anything I don't like until I find the right one. 

Edited by EichSnipe

I'm getting back into it here in Roc and wanna nail down some places when I move in a few months. 

I am a member at RockVentures here in Rochester.  I'm more into top-roping, but I've certainly been bouldering at the dirty old barn at RIT a few times.

I don't know what the indoor situation is in Buffalo :/  I found Niagara Climbing Center online just now.  Silo City also was a thing that was supposed to happen in the past couple years, but I'm not sure it ever did.

For outdoor: Niagara Glen bouldering is just on the other side of the Lewiston border crossing into Ontario.  Lots of routes, nice little spot.  A series of boulders in the woods along the Niagara River.  It's the closest outdoor location to us here in Rochester (so even closer for you soon).  Mount Nemo and Rattlesnake Point are the two hot spots in southern Ontario that I'd look into (a little further than Niagara Glen, of course, but very close!)

I'll ask around and holla back if I find out anything else that could be helpful.

I am a member at RockVentures here in Rochester.  I'm more into top-roping, but I've certainly been bouldering at the dirty old barn at RIT a few times.

I don't know what the indoor situation is in Buffalo :/  I found Niagara Climbing Center online just now.  Silo City also was a thing that was supposed to happen in the past couple years, but I'm not sure it ever did.

For outdoor: Niagara Glen bouldering is just on the other side of the Lewiston border crossing into Ontario.  Lots of routes, nice little spot.  A series of boulders in the woods along the Niagara River.  It's the closest outdoor location to us here in Rochester (so even closer for you soon).  Mount Nemo and Rattlesnake Point are the two hot spots in southern Ontario that I'd look into (a little further than Niagara Glen, of course, but very close!)

I'll ask around and holla back if I find out anything else that could be helpful.

Thanks!

I love Rock Ventures and prefer top-roping, but it's just really expensive and I can't find any other friends who are willing to spend the moolah with me. Gotta have a belaying partner! So I've been at the sticky ol' barn. Bouldering hurts and I'm not very good at it, but I guess that's a sign to keep doing it...

Right after I posted this, a Buff friend told me about Niagara Climbing Center and was asking if there were good outdoor spots- I'll pass on your info! I'd love to try some real outdoor stuff sometime. 

Thanks!

I love Rock Ventures and prefer top-roping, but it's just really expensive and I can't find any other friends who are willing to spend the moolah with me. Gotta have a belaying partner! So I've been at the sticky ol' barn. Bouldering hurts and I'm not very good at it, but I guess that's a sign to keep doing it...

Right after I posted this, a Buff friend told me about Niagara Climbing Center and was asking if there were good outdoor spots- I'll pass on your info! I'd love to try some real outdoor stuff sometime. 

Yes, it sure is expensive..  I have found that most people at RV are friendly and willing to take in a new climber/belay partner, though!

The other good outdoor spots that are nearby are Blue Run Rocks (lead-climbing; straight south of Rochester, just into PA) and Little Falls (top-roping; just off the thruway, 20mi east of Utica).  Then you've got the famed Gunks further downstate, as well as a bunch of spots in the Adirondacks....

I wouldn't mind hearing about what you think of Niagara Climbing Center (especially compared to RV) if you ever make it out there.  Good luck!

I ran 4.25 miles last night, 2.25 of that without stopping. Basically I did a 10-minute warmup, 22:30 for the main run and a 10:00 cool-off with a little resting and walking in between. The cool-off was so easy I "sprinted" about 100 yards to the finish. The endorphins are really kicking in and I'm seriously getting addicted to this.

BTW, I hope it doesn't sound like I'm boasting. These are baby steps really. I'm putting this out there hoping to inspire some people like me who are pushing 50, have never run, but have always wanted to. If I can get this far, so can you! (It also helps to imagine that Ville Leino is about 10 paces behind you. Really motivates you, not wanting that stinking flesh pot to waft past you.)

I don't understand how anyone runs listening to something. I've tried a variety of ear buds and headphones, including wireless, and they all drive me nuts. Not to mention having the phone strapped to me. All I can think about is how much I hate having that stuff on me. Totally screws up the mental aspect for me.

I'm not interested in having something strapped on (heh) either.  I run with an ipod nano and just hold it in my hand.  It's really small. 

It takes a while to find earbuds that fit and stay in.  I've found the kind with rubber tips work better than than hard plastic kind.

Congrats! If only some people knew how much of a difference even a little bit of exercise does for them. Just like everything else, at first it's so difficult to stick with it because it's not routine. But once it becomes a routine you find yourself feeling guilty if you miss a day.

It has to be difficult for those of you up north having to keep up during the winter months when it narrows down your options.

There's no reason to hibernate. I still walk all winter, the only exception being when trails and sidewalks are impassible or too dangerous because of ice. Pretty rare. It's a much better workout than during the summer. Skating, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, even sled riding are good exercises. And hockey! Ice-biking? We've got ice-biking. (Well, those of you who can get to Canalside do.)

Right on.  As long as the path has been shoveled and the footing is stable , I'll run even if the temperature is in the 20s.  A cold-weather run is really a pleasure. 

I ran 4.25 miles last night, 2.25 of that without stopping. Basically I did a 10-minute warmup, 22:30 for the main run and a 10:00 cool-off with a little resting and walking in between. The cool-off was so easy I "sprinted" about 100 yards to the finish. The endorphins are really kicking in and I'm seriously getting addicted to this.

BTW, I hope it doesn't sound like I'm boasting. These are baby steps really. I'm putting this out there hoping to inspire some people like me who are pushing 50, have never run, but have always wanted to. If I can get this far, so can you! (It also helps to imagine that Ville Leino is about 10 paces behind you. Really motivates you, not wanting that stinking flesh pot to waft past you.)

Outstanding.  You'll be at 5 miles without stopping in a couple of weeks -- and you'll sleep like a baby.

Nice!

For me, I don't tend to push beyond 5k for the serious portion of my runs. There's some evidence that there's not much benefit for us average folks just looking to stay in shape to run more than 5k distances. I find it's more productive to try to crank out faster intervals within those limits. 

I'm like you though, I like a long warmup to get things moving. Maybe not 10 minutes, but I definitely don't get right into it. Sounds like you've found a good system that sorta fits that mold. 

I've never done any climbing myself, but I know the guy that runs UB's Outdoor Adventure Club. I thought he might have some good suggestions, and this is what he sent my way:

The best places to go climbing around Buffalo and the type of climbing are as follows (In my opinion):

Canadian Escarpment - Sport Climbing

--Rattlesnake point

--Mount Nemo

The Niagara Glenn (Canadian Side) - Best Bouldering around

The Niagara Climbing Center - Indoor Bouldering + Top Rope

Little Rock City - Has VERY Limited bouldering but is the closest decent climbing not in Canada

Little Falls NY - A bit of a trip from Buffalo but it has great Top Rope

Gunks - Mecca for climbing but is also a bit of a trip

I've never done any climbing myself, but I know the guy that runs UB's Outdoor Adventure Club. I thought he might have some good suggestions, and this is what he sent my way:

Nice! Thanks so much for asking! 

I really could see climbing being my next main thing. The circus arts place in Buffalo is a direct competitor/not as good as the one I go to in Rochester, and apparently are rather negative towards people who attended the Rochester school, so I may have to give that up. And I'll be losing my weekend volunteering at the horse rescue/barn. But man, I love having strong arms, and I like the camaraderie of climbing. 

There was a girl at Red Barn yesterday who was just... so effortless on the wall. Like a damn spider. Just cruising through the hardest routes smoothly. Inspiring. I got farther in my first time back yesterday than I had all last summer before I broke the leg. Still, watching a guy in a Rock Ventures shirt go rocketing up the route without really using his legs that took me like 10 minutes of huffing and puffing to complete was kinda funny. 

No sir. I am in awe.  :worthy:

And it makes me want to actually try this running thing.  :w00t:

But first, I want to figure out who owns this stray pit in our hood and ask that he be confined.  He's out most nights.  He's super friendly but don't want him to think "chasing the jogger" is a game he should play.  :unsure:

20160614_002227.jpg

Edited by Robin Egg

No sir. I am in awe. :worthy:

And it makes me want to actually try this running thing. :w00t:

But first, I want to figure out who owns this stray pit in our hood and ask that he be confined. He's out most nights. He's super friendly but don't want him to think "chasing the jogger" is a game he should play. :unsure:

20160614_002227.jpg

Is bringing him in to the SPCA to see if he's got a chip an option? Had a dog jump in my car once after I saw him wandering around a busy intersection on my way to work. I brought him in and he was returned to his family that night. Edited by ubkev

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.