Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

So Shanaban is going to join the Leafs huh? Maybe that explains why he has neutered John Scott and all but banned Patrick Kaleta while suspending Kessel for meaningless preseason games only. Atleast now he won't be in the league offices and have that ability anymore although if the Sabres should so much as talk to any of the Queefs wrong next year he will probably use his connections in the NHL to have em banned for life. That is of course if the Sabres get vocal, as promised.

Career highs in goals (previous high):

Joe Pavelski (SJ) - 43 (31) +12

Max Pacioretty (MON) - 39 (33) +6

Tyler Seguin (DAL) - 37 (29) +8

Chris Kunitz (PIT) - 35 (26) +9

Jamie Benn (DAL) - 34 (26) +8

Alexander Steen (STL) - 33 (24) +9

Jeff Skinner (CAR) - 33 (31) +2

Ryan Getzlaf (ANA) - 31 (25) +6

James van Riemsdyk (TOR) - 30 (21) +9

Wayne Simmonds (PHI) - 29 (28) +1

Blake Wheeler (WPG) - 28 (21) +7

Ryan O'Reilly (COL) - 28 (18) +10

David Perron (EDM) - 28 (21) +7

Kyle Okposo (NYI) - 27 (24) +3

Gabriel Landeskog (COL) - 26 (22) +4

Kyle Turris (OTT) - 26 (12) +14

Valtteri Filppula (TB) - 25 (23) +2

Frans Nielsen (NYI) - 25 (17) +8

Troy Brouwer (WAS) - 25 (22) +3

Adam Henrique (NJ) - 25 (16) +9

Clarke MacArthur (OTT) - 24 (21) +3

Joel Ward (WAS) - 24 (17) +7

Craig Smith (NAS) - 24 (14) +10

Jakub Voracek (PHI) - 23 (22) +1

Brent Burns (SJ) - 22 (17) +5

Artem Anisimov (CBJ) - 22 (18) +4

Nick Bonino (ANA) - 22 (5) +17

TJ Oshie (STL) - 21 (19) +2

Tyler Ennis (BUF) - 21 (20) +1

Andrew Cogliano (ANA) - 21 (18) +3

Erik Karlsson (OTT) - 20 (19) +1

Nazem Kadri (TOR) - 20 (18) +2

Cody Hodgson (BUF) - 20 (16) +4

Brayden Schenn (PHI) - 20 (12) +8

Andrew Shaw (CHI) - 20 (12) +8

The only players considered were players that scored at least 20 goals and had a relevant history in the league. Players who tied their previous high weren't listed. There are still a few games left that could add to/alter the list.

Edited by Tankalicious

I fail to see what Byron did wrong. I don't even see where Sedin got hurt unless it was when he hit the ice.

Ultimately, he made no effort to stop. His skates never changed directions, he put his arms up and followed through. Sedin put himself in a very stupid spot there, but there is still now reason for Byron to follow through. That's the exact move that will delay the start of his 2014-15 season.

Barry Trotz from Nashville just got fired as Head Coach

NHL on TSN@NHLonTSN

Barry Trotz as out Predators head coach, as reported by The Tennessean. #TSN #NHL

Not fired, reassigned. He will move into the hockey operations department is some capacity. The search for a new head coach is on... Phil Housley was an assistant this year for the Preds, so I assume he will be in play as a possible new head coach.

Edit: he has been offered a job in hockey operations... it is still up to Trotzy whether he wants to do so or not.

Edited by Potato

Not fired, reassigned. He will move into the hockey operations department is some capacity. The search for a new head coach is on... Phil Housley was an assistant this year for the Preds, so I assume he will be in play as a possible new head coach.

Edit: he has been offered a job in hockey operations... it is still up to Trotzy whether he wants to do so or not.

Ahh got ya, I corrected the original, thanks!

Trotz was the only coach the Preds have ever known. He was there from Day 1 of the franchise. So it is a pretty big change for the Preds. I hope David Poille steps down as GM, but we'll see. A couple of years ago, Poille said (at that time) he only had a few more years left. But, he just seems to keep on going...

Trotz was the only coach the Preds have ever known. He was there from Day 1 of the franchise. So it is a pretty big change for the Preds. I hope David Poille steps down as GM, but we'll see. A couple of years ago, Poille said (at that time) he only had a few more years left. But, he just seems to keep on going...

Well Darcy and Roulston are available if they want to implement a southern tank strategy.

Poile said recently he'll still be the GM next season.

David Poille just sent this letter to the Preds season ticket holder (of which I am one)...

The last two seasons have not produced our collective desired results nor what you, as our most loyal supporters, expect or deserve. It is with that background that I have had to make the most difficult decision in my 30+ year General Manager career. As you have heard by now, we will not be renewing Barry Trotz’s contract and will immediately begin the search for the next head coach of the Nashville Predators.

After many days and weeks, along with countless sleepless nights, I have concluded it is time for a new direction and a new voice. It is not a decision I wanted to make, but a decision I feel we need to make in order to drive our organization to a higher level. This decision is a message to everyone within our hockey operations that our recent performance is unacceptable. We started making changes a year ago and will continue to do so in order to take steps forward.

Changing our course essentially began in March, 2013, when we acquired Filip Forsberg in exchange for Marty Erat. We then added Phil Housley to our coaching staff in an effort to improve our power play and tutor our young defensive corps. We were then fortunate enough to draft top-ranked Seth Jones in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. Earlier this season, we added Michael Del Zotto in return for Kevin Klein. And, most recently, we acquired Calle Jarnkrok and a second round pick for David Legwand. None of these decisions, as well as today’s, were easy, but signal that it was and is time to make changes to improve our team for the future. Our team did not live up to our and your expectations and we pledge to improve.

From August 6, 1997 until today’s announcement, Barry Trotz has been everything we could have hoped for as a head coach and an ambassador for the Predators and Nashville. It was Barry who defined, established and exemplified The Predator Way and developed our culture that led to so many highlights over the last 15 seasons. His record and place in history—both here in Nashville and within the NHL—are obvious and significant. But his character and sense of family and community are what set him apart and define him as person.

I have known and worked with Barry for 30 years. I have watched him grow professionally and watched he, his wife Kim and their family grow and flourish. Though he will not be behind our bench next season, Barry and his family will always be an integral part of our history and will always be welcome by our organization and throughout our community. We will always be grateful to Barry for bringing us our first win in franchise history, our first playoff berth, our first playoff series win and back-to-back trips to the Western Conference Semi-Finals. He was a finalist for Coach of the Year honors twice, but deserved more consideration on other occasions.

We do take pride in being a family and an integral part of this community. No one showed that more than Barry. His work with My Friends House, Best Buddies and so many other charitable organizations is legendary and deserving of our gratitude. He set the example not just for the Predators’ organization, but for many others within our community.

Our mission is to continue to make the necessary changes for the 2014-15 season and beyond to return to the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Our first goal is to get into the Playoffs. Once a team is in the playoffs, anything can happen. There will be additional changes as we move forward this off-season in an effort to improve our team.

The search for our next coach begins now. You have my pledge that we will conduct a thorough search to bring in the best candidate for our team and market. In addition to identifying our next coach, we will also explore any and all other avenues to improve our team during the coming months. We do have some key pieces for a successful team, beginning with Norris Trophy candidate Shea Weber, goaltender Pekka Rinne and several other top young players such as Roman Josi and Seth Jones on defense along with forwards such as Mike Fisher, Patric Hornqvist, Craig Smith, recently-acquired Calle Jarnkrok, Colton Sissons, Filip Forsberg and several others developing in our system. But simply standing pat and waiting for prospects to develop is not enough. It is why we were active in free agency last year in adding players that could help us immediately. We have to get better in all areas and will work towards that goal.

We are looking forward to Pekka Rinne returning in September at 100%. We have one of the top young defensive corps in the NHL, anchored by Shea Weber and emerging star Roman Josi and joined by youngsters such as Seth Jones, Mattias Ekholm, Ryan Ellis and Victor Bartley. Our leadership group, including forwards Mike Fisher, Patric Hornqvist, Paul Gaustad and others, showed its true colors down the stretch this season as the team gave everything it had right to the very end. It is my hope that a new voice and direction will drive some of our players who had off-seasons in 2013-14 to productive seasons in 2014-15. There is no doubt that if all of our players play to their potential and our expectations, our team is capable of making the playoffs in 2014-15. That is what excites me and our organization as we look to the coming season, a new and exciting chapter in our history.

Your support is never taken for granted but always appreciated. I hope you will join me in thanking Barry Trotz and his family for everything they have given to our franchise and community. And I look forward to an exciting summer of developments and progress as it relates to the Nashville Predators.

Sincerely,

5f62853abb8ecc9775294a94_289x115.jpg

David Poile

President of Hockey Operations

and General Manager

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.