Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Shades of Andrew Peters swinging the golf club at the Leafs. Kassian just seems like a tweener who will never make it.....not enough offensive skill to be a true power forward, and a glorified middleweight in the fight game.

Sounds like top six material in Buffalo.. They should so go out and sign him.

I've said before on here that he'll be out of the league in three years. I stand by that. No respect for a guy taunting another player about an injury that he gave that player. That's messed up.

And as in most cases you'll be wrong.

Kassian is one of those players that a team will always find a place for. A big aggressive kid with enough hockey talent where he's not going to John Scott your team. His six goals would put him third on the Sabres in goal scoring this season.

Zacks 22 I think. Lots of time for him to get it. Hopefully we don't write off Foligno at 22 either.

It's really hard to judge Foligno through all this mess. The way first came in with 13 points in 14 games many thought the kid was going to be monster player. Like we finally had our version of Lucic.

It's the forwards. The inability to maintain offensive zone pressure is making the D look worse than it is.

The way the game is played these days, it's really a five man unit when it comes to things like offensive pressure. Look at teams like the Penguins, an active defense really compliments their glut of talented forwards.

Ryan Callahan is someone I believe the Sabres will try to target in free agency if he gets there, but damn, the guy gets hurt a lot.

What would it cost for a player like Callahan to come to the Sabres and throw away the next 4-5 years of his career? If Callahan hits free agency he's not going to sign with the worst team in the NHL. If he leaves New York it will likely be for a chance at a Stanley Cup. I would expect Colorado to be a player in any Callahan sweepstakes. They have the cap space and appear to be on the right path to becoming a serious contender.

Edited by deluca67

I don't like Conacher. He just strikes me as a little ######. I'm sure I'd come around if he were a Sabre.

Little sh!t*

Fair enough. I always thought of him being closer to being a talented, hardworking pest. He strikes me as a Nolan type of guy.

He's another Kaleta.

Shades of Andrew Peters swinging the golf club at the Leafs. Kassian just seems like a tweener who will never make it.....not enough offensive skill to be a true power forward, and a glorified middleweight in the fight game.

Peters was funny at least, and he wasn't mocking anyone's injuries. This was pretty classless.

Kassian is one of those players that a team will always find a place for. A big aggressive kid with enough hockey talent where he's not going to John Scott your team. His six goals would put him third on the Sabres in goal scoring this season.

You want so badly to be right about that trade, but you're just not. I had the same initial reaction as you (read the trade thread), but the Sabres have enough Kassian-like players, and CoHo is the only Sabre who qualifies as an NHL center.

Edited by Eleven

It's really hard to judge Foligno through all this mess. The way first came in with 13 points in 14 games many thought the kid was going to be monster player. Like we finally had our version of Lucic.

Not to pick a nit, but I doubt Kassian has six goals if he's playing with the anemic sabres all season.

I wanted to pull for Kassian but I can't do it. Big time scumbag. With that said, I'm sure players mock injuries all the time.

I'm sure people talk about those things all the time, this seemed worse if only for the reason that he decided to do it while the ref was pushing him away from the scrum. So not only classless and stupid, but also gutless.

Unless Kassian wakes up in the very near future, the 3 year expiration date can be a very real possibility. Not many guys wake up at 25 or 26 and all of the sudden become great players. LeClair was one....but I'm racking my brain trying to think of others. And his was due to the change in scenery, lax enforcement of the rules and playing with Lindros. Looking at his numbers so far, he's reminding me of a Brad May type of offensive presence who can't fight half as well.

I'm sure people talk about those things all the time, this seemed worse if only for the reason that he decided to do it while the ref was pushing him away from the scrum. So not only classless and stupid, but also gutless.

Unless Kassian wakes up in the very near future, the 3 year expiration date can be a very real possibility. Not many guys wake up at 25 or 26 and all of the sudden become great players. LeClair was one....but I'm racking my brain trying to think of others. And his was due to the change in scenery, lax enforcement of the rules and playing with Lindros. Looking at his numbers so far, he's reminding me of a Brad May type of offensive presence who can't fight half as well.

Not that it has anything to do w/ Kassian, but Briere comes to mind. Still, few and far between, like you say.

LeClair was a MUCH better player than Moe-ray-all realized. One would have though he'd've moved up the food chain after the '93 run to the Cup.

Dumping players like him and Roy is why their 7 year gap between Cups is now going on 21.

Clarkson Suspended 2 Games

Toronto Maple Leafs forward David Clarkson has been suspended for two games, without pay, for delivering an illegal check to the head of St. Louis Blues forward Vladimir Sobotka during NHL Game No. 477 in St. Louis on Thursday, Dec. 12, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 6:28 of the second period. Clarkson was assessed a minor penalty for illegal check to the head.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Not that it has anything to do w/ Kassian, but Briere comes to mind. Still, few and far between, like you say.

With Danny how much of that was being a small, skill player in the post-lockout1 NHL? I think the NHL changed, him not as much.

Briere had a 32G season (78GP) in 2001-02 as a 24-year old after scoring 11G in 30GP (split time in the AHL) the year before. He didn't exactly come out of nowhere when he came to the Sabres. He only had 17G in 68GP before being traded from Phoenix, which was apparently enough for them to lose faith in him.

Briere had a 32G season (78GP) in 2001-02 as a 24-year old after scoring 11G in 30GP (split time in the AHL) the year before. He didn't exactly come out of nowhere when he came to the Sabres. He only had 17G in 68GP before being traded from Phoenix, which was apparently enough for them to lose faith in him.

I didn't recall that he had done so well at 24. Wow. Phoenix looks even dumber, now (as do I).

Blackhawks acquire LaBarbera from Oilers

The Chicago Blackhawks have acquired goaltender Jason LaBarbera from the Edmonton Oilers for future considerations, the clubs announced Saturday.

Labarbera, 33, has appeared in seven games for the Oilers this season. He was waived by Edmonton on Nov. 18 before being assigned to the American Hockey League. But a recent injury to Ilya Bryzgalov forced the Oilers to call up LaBarbera, who played 39:06 and stopped all 12 shots he faced in relief of Devan Dubnyk Thursday night against the Boston Bruins.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.