UPDATE: Rick Jeanneret coming back for 2013-14 season

nobody

When Ted Darling was let go, it seemed like a pretty big void to fill. Eventually the Sabres put RJ on the tube. When RJ goes, it will be a big void to fill. And when RJ goes, we'll get a new announcer. If we're lucky, he'll be good. If he's not good, we'll see yet another one before long.

Personally, I'd prefer a great team and a crappy announcer rather that a crappy team and a great announcer.

I wonder if the Sabres might bring an outsider, similar to Brian Duff, to perform whatever function RJ does not want.

Duffer was a key pick up. It was easy to see how good he was in only a few games. Hopefully selecting a pbp broadcaster will be just as easy.

If he's not good, we'll see yet another one before long.

From previous interactions I've had with him, Theodus Blackula seems to understand the importance of broadcast quality. I wish and believe this to be correct.

All I have to say is if RJ retires and is replaced with Sylvester, I'll never forgive Pegula. Screw the hydrofracking, he could directly poison the water coming to where I live and I wouldn't be as angry as if Sylvester gets the call.

Seeing as how Sylvester was removed from the TV broadcast altogether, I have a hard time believing that this scenario is plausible.

While it's sad to see RJ go, and the memories will last forever. There will never be another RJ but in the same sense, to the newer fans, they wont ever know the good RJ. Today's RJ is nothing of the old. He's def several steps down from his past and it's probably best for him to leave and carry on his life, and allow the Sabres to move on as well. He's not the RJ i grew up loving. Last few seasons, theres been several games he's been pretty bad.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Rick did have quite a few bad games in the past couple of years and if it was any body else, it would of been a joke, but he is Rick Jeanneret, so I know for myself, It really didn't bother me. When he does retire, it will be a sad day in Sabres history. At the age of 71, that is a pretty hectic schedule. As I feel with all people that age, he deserves to relax and spend time with Family and enjoy the years he has left.

• 3 weeks later...

Opposing view: Yes, he's a legend, but he should have retired a couple years ago. Increasingly he seems lost out there; he can't keep up. Nothing worse that missing that the goal was scored and calling it a few seconds later. Ouch.

I'm ready for the New Sabres. The new team, the new coach (disappointed in the RR announcement), the new play-by-play guy.

Opposing view: Yes, he's a legend, but he should have retired a couple years ago. Increasingly he seems lost out there; he can't keep up. Nothing worse that missing that the goal was scored and calling it a few seconds later. Ouch.

I'm ready for the New Sabres. The new team, the new coach (disappointed in the RR announcement), the new play-by-play guy.

You're so anxious for Kevin Sylvester every game?

Could it be he's just as bored as the rest of us? God knows I've felt like nodding off several times watching the Sabres brand of "hockey" over the past years.

SHAAAAAAUGHT!!!! RJ at 50% is still better than almost everyone else at 100%. He seems as frustrated as the rest of us watching this team flounder. Buffalo will lose a national treasure the day RJ retires. Long live the king.

So Vogl's sources about ending the simulcast were bad?

You're so anxious for Kevin Sylvester every game?

There is this.

This seems fair. Rick is up and down at this stage. On his good nights, he's about as good as he ever was.

What gets on my nerves is the annual drama about whether he's returning, stoked by Rick himself apparently. Is he insecure? He should know he's beloved. He's got one year left on his contract? Why the need for an "announcement" — unless it's to announce he's retiring. And now the intrigue about how many games, and when the schedule comes out, another announcement.

Come to think of it, maybe the drama is part Rick and part marketing. Ted and co. know Rick is the brand. The annual offseason Rickapalooza is good.

What gets on my nerves is the annual drama about whether he's returning, stoked by Rick himself apparently. Is he insecure? He should know he's beloved. He's got one year left on his contract? Why the need for an "announcement" — unless it's to announce he's retiring. And now the intrigue about how many games, and when the schedule comes out, another announcement.

Come to think of it, maybe the drama is part Rick and part marketing. Ted and co. know Rick is the brand. The annual offseason Rickapalooza is good.

Perhaps he's being honest and actually waffling about it. I suppose you could be mad that he chooses to say anything, but there's no way to solve that until the news stops asking about it. Even a "No Comment" would spawn a few threads around here.

Archived