UPDATE: Rick Jeanneret coming back for 2013-14 season

nobody

It's official. I hate everything this regime does.

That seems about right.

:P

I think going with another eccentric caller would be the worst choice possible. You can't have somebody of a similar style follow a legend like Rick IMO. I wouldn't be able to stop myself from thinking "stop trying to be Rick, you never will be." But that's me.

I agree. I cringed when they were apparently toying with having RJ's son take over. Dunleavy sounds like a real hockey guy as well as being a solid, seasoned play by play announcer. Real good hire, in my mind.

And what is his current capacity with the leafs?

The 2011 press release suggested that he was splitting radio PBP duties for the Leafs. So getting a full-time simulcast gig is presumably a step up.

Wasn't Dunleavy calling Blue Jays games for a while? And what is his current capacity with the leafs?

Dunleavy comes to the Sabres from the Toronto Maple Leafs’ broadcasting team and is best known for his nine years of radio calls for the IIHF World Junior Championships. He has spent 19 years at SportsNet Radio and The Fan 590 in Toronto. He called Olympic hockey in Vancouver in 2010 and also had called OHL and AHL games for Rogers Sportsnet.

Outside of hockey, he has been the radio voice of the National Lacrosse League's Toronto Rock and the radio and TV voice of Toronto FC in Major League Soccer.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2013/08/go-to-the-video-the-work-of-dan-dunleavy.html?ref=bmh

Black seems good for a weird comment like this with some regularity. As the linked press release indicates, Dunleavy is a 20+ year veteran in the broadcasting industry. Maybe Black was seeing him as a whipper snapper compared to RJ?

Again, no real harm in the comment from Black, but there's part of it that makes him seem like a huckster.

FWIW, WGRZ made a point of writing him up as a "veteran" broadcaster.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/222432/37/Sabres-Rick-Jeanneret-to-Retire-after-2015-16-Season

Jeanneret is the reason I decided to begin doing play-by-play work. Definitely going to miss him. It just won't be the same without him.

That's cool. What sport/s?

I think going with another eccentric caller would be the worst choice possible. You can't have somebody of a similar style follow a legend like Rick IMO. I wouldn't be able to stop myself from thinking "stop trying to be Rick, you never will be." But that's me.

Fair point. I'm thinking of Pittsburgh and Bob Prince, Mike Lange, Myron Cope.

A better point might have been — go with a young hire. Hey it worked with Rick and Ted.

While I'm bummed like every Sabres fan that RJ actually has a date to hang it up, I couldn't be happier with the choice. DD is a solid PBP guy who only got love here and there for his brief work on games but trust me, you'll like him. Glad it wasn't given to Hamilton. Not a slam but his work really isn't NHL quality.

What we can all agree on is thank God it wasn't given to Sylvester. He may be setting a modern day record for public demotions. How long before he's replaced on the radio? Hopefully tomorrow.

Good job Sabres. Right decision for once.

While I'm bummed like every Sabres fan that RJ actually has a date to hang it up
Not every Sabres fan

both perspectives can peacefully coexist.

was i bummed when #11 hung 'em up? yeah.

did i want him to retire before he started to look like a fool out there? yeah.

p.s. these sentiments prompted me to wiki the circumstances surrounding perreault's retirement (which i'd mostly forgotten):

Perreault retired at the end of the 1985-86 season. Thereafter, pension changes came into effect significantly boosting the pensions of retired players who played at least twenty games in the 1986-87 season. He duly came out of retirement, and still played effectively, scoring 9 goals in the first 14 games.[3] He retired for good on November 24, 1986 after his twentieth game.[3]

He finished his career with scoring totals of 512 goals and 814 assists for 1326 points in 1191 games. At the time of his retirement, Perreault was the sixth leading scorer in NHL history. Along with the other two members of the French Connection, Perreault was inducted into the Buffalo Sabres Hall of Fame in 1989. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1990, and the Sabres retired his number 11 in the same year, having been the only player to ever wear number 11 for the Buffalo Sabres; his #11 was the first number retired by the Sabres.[4] When his French Connection linemates' numbers were retired, Perreault's #11 was lowered and raised back between Martin's #7 and Robert's #14, as Buffalo Sabres retired the French Connection line as a group, marking the first three players to have their numbers retired by the Sabres.

Can you imagine what it would be like to work for an organization for four decades and not have them reach their ultimate goal? I'm just a lowly fan and I'm having difficulty generating any enthusiasm for this coming season. I can't imagine how RJ will feel - but I'm sure glad he'll still be there!

Would be grossly unfair to Dunleavy. But what an intriguing idea.

I recall in 1997 when the Red Wings won their first Cup in 42 years, they brought recently retired Bruce Martyn back to call the second period of the series-clinching game. He called the

I dunno. The voice is decent but on the goal calls — that's downright Sylvester-esque. I guess we'll be more used to it in three years, but the voice/style transition is pretty jarring.

Just seems like a safe choice. This fan base is used to Jeanneret's antics and eccentricities. But with so much money on the line, the suits weren't going to do anything crazy. Certainly no way the loose cannon Hamilton was going to get the job full-time. Too bad.

It's official. I hate everything this regime does.

You're just now able to admit this to yourself?

Archived