UPDATE: Rick Jeanneret coming back for 2013-14 season

nobody

Don't know how to read this yet. If RJ doesn't retire after this season does he do a partial season on TV? Does he sit in a studio in Buffalo and call the radio games watching the TV feed?

Does Kevin Sylvester take over and do the radio calls since he already has his show running on GR?

In the John Vogl article:

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130421/SPORTS/130429831/1003

"Buffalo, which has simulcast Rick Jeanneret’s play-by-play on television and radio since 1997, is expected to split the two feeds beginning next season, multiple sources tell The Buffalo News. Different announcing teams would represent MSG and WGR-AM 550.

Jeanneret has already said he promised to call every game for this season only, which will leave an undetermined void for the television broadcasts."

Makes perfect sense. Keep Rick around but work in the replacement over the course of a few seasons. Soften the blow. Please, not Kevin. Paul Hamilton would work for me. Rick's still the brand, so I would see him staying on TV. The issue is radio-only games (playoffs, cough cough). Rick would have to be able to slide over to radio for those games. That's if he still wants to call every game. (Or if he still wants to work at all.)

Losing RJ is like Perreault retiring, or Dom leaving.

There'll never be another.

Agreed. And if the current hockey that's been on the ice this season is what ends up driving him to retirement, it will just be one more reason this was the most frustrated I've been at a Sabres' season that I can remember.

Agreed. And if the current hockey that's been on the ice this season is what ends up driving him to retirement, it will just be one more reason this was the most frustrated I've been at a Sabres' season that I can remember.

To think this lacklustre, overpaid, completely forgettable roster of the past 6 years could be the final straw that broke the camels back? Inexcusable, and outright sickening.

To think this lacklustre, overpaid, completely forgettable roster of the past 6 years could be the final straw that broke the camels back? Inexcusable, and outright sickening.

The man turns 71 this summer. Maybe he is putting family first? He realizes he's slipping? He's tired of working? To read into it on my part isn't right, nor should anyone else on this board speculate. He has every right to call it a career. I will say, Ray has to improve to be the radio color guy. His descriptions for a non-viewer suck. He just needs to understand that and adapt. Rick's been great, whatever he decides. His exciting calls have brought many marginal fans to the Sabres.

Paul Hamilton is the only fill in i've heard over the past seasons that would actually be alright with me. Regardless RJ is the man, and i hope he'll still be doing this at some capacity when we win it all. No one deserves to make that call more than him.

A lot of people felt the same way about Pat Foley in Chicago. Younger than RJ but had been around a long time on radio and at some point started doing the TV side only. When the Hawks won the Cup, the radio guy, not Foley, called the clinching game (no local TV). Can you imagine the travesty? The Moment finally comes and Kevbo's at the helm.

A lot of people felt the same way about Pat Foley in Chicago. Younger than RJ but had been around a long time on radio and at some point started doing the TV side only. When the Hawks won the Cup, the radio guy, not Foley, called the clinching game (no local TV). Can you imagine the travesty? The Moment finally comes and Kevbo's at the helm.

Can you imagine not winning the cup without Ruff? Perreault? Lafontaine? Knoxes? Life goes on. Let the guy do what he wants. Lets leave the melodarama out of it. His retirement is still speculation, right?

The man turns 71 this summer. Maybe he is putting family first? He realizes he's slipping? He's tired of working? To read into it on my part isn't right, nor should anyone else on this board speculate. He has every right to call it a career. I will say, Ray has to improve to be the radio color guy. His descriptions for a non-viewer suck. He just needs to understand that and adapt. Rick's been great, whatever he decides. His exciting calls have brought many marginal fans to the Sabres.

The man should do exactly as he pleases. Why would you think I believe otherwise?

All I'm saying is, the recent Sabres team wouldn't exactly make me postpone *my* retirement plans, if I was in a similar situation.

The man should do exactly as he pleases. Why would you think I believe otherwise?

All I'm saying is, the recent Sabres team wouldn't exactly make me postpone *my* retirement plans, if I was in a similar situation.

Gotcha, and I agree. The printed word leaves too much to interpretation. Sorry!

While it's sad to see RJ go, and the memories will last forever. There will never be another RJ but in the same sense, to the newer fans, they wont ever know the good RJ. Today's RJ is nothing of the old. He's def several steps down from his past and it's probably best for him to leave and carry on his life, and allow the Sabres to move on as well. He's not the RJ i grew up loving. Last few seasons, theres been several games he's been pretty bad.

"Buffalo, which has simulcast Rick Jeanneret’s play-by-play on television and radio since 1997, is expected to split the two feeds beginning next season, multiple sources tell The Buffalo News. Different announcing teams would represent MSG and WGR-AM 550.

Jeanneret has already said he promised to call every game for this season only, which will leave an undetermined void for the television broadcasts."

Anyone else read this ten times and still not know what the ###### it means?

Does it mean RJ's going radio only? Has he committed to this current year only or the next one only?

That doesn't begin to delve into why's about why the broadcast would be split.

Does it mean RJ's going radio only? Has he committed to this current year only or the next one only?

I'd expect the reason the broadcast would be split is bowing to the reality that it takes a special p-b-p announcer to effectively meet the needs of a radio broadcast and a TV one at the same time.

TP can afford to have another person or 2 on payroll (especially when the 2 p-b-p guys combined probably won't make what RJ made).

I would assume(ass out of U and me)" this season", means this year That's how I would have answered the question on my board exam based on the English language. Then again, journalists aren't that great with the English language anymore

I'd expect the reason the broadcast would be split is bowing to the reality that it takes a special p-b-p announcer to effectively meet the needs of a radio broadcast and a TV one at the same time.

TP can afford to have another person or 2 on payroll (especially when the 2 p-b-p guys combined probably won't make what RJ makes).

Fixed. I see nothing in this blurb that suggests Rick is retiring.

They should hire me. I do a great RJ impression.

Oh, it's on. I challenge you to a duel. However, I don't see how, technically, I am going to get mine into an audio format to upload.

Archived