OT: Explosions at the Boston Marathon

spndnchz

$80 of equipment and a 19 year old kid has closed an entire city.

Imagine if we ever really did have a threat like you pontificate?

I'd like to know their rationale for shutting down the entire city. At some point, you'd think it'd be easier to let the city act normally and then spot him when he tries to move. Right now he's probably hiding inside someplace just like everyone else.

Unless they think he has one more bomb and could try to get it to a crowded area as the last thing he does on earth.

I'd like to know their rationale for shutting down the entire city. At some point, you'd think it'd be easier to let the city act normally and then spot him when he tries to move. Right now he's probably hiding inside someplace just like everyone else.

Unless they think he has one more bomb and could try to get it to a crowded area as the last thing he does on earth.

The guys got a bomb strapped to his chest. I think I'll stay inside.

Oh the Pittsburgh Sabres game has been postponed and rescheduled to next Tuesday.

The guys got a bomb strapped to his chest. I think I'll stay inside.

Oh the Pittsburgh Sabres game has been postponed and rescheduled to next Tuesday.

He's either wearing a bulletproof vest, or a bomb vest, or no vest at all depending on which media report (that will almost certainly turn out to be inaccurate later) you read.

That's f'd up. Sounds like they are anticipating this going days........maybe PA is right to wonder......

BBC noted that 3 guys in hazmats suits went into the apartment they found the car they were looking for at. No one has confirmed or mentioned the chance that it is a biological thing.

That's f'd up. Sounds like they are anticipating this going days........maybe PA is right to wonder......

Actually, there was a PIT@BOS game scheduled for tonight, I'm guessing they're shuffling stuff around based on arena schedules.

EDIT: yep, PIT@BOS tentatively scheduled for tomorrow night. BUF@PIT moved to Tuesday.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=666715&navid=DL|NHL|home

The Bruins game tonight will be played tomorrow so the Sabres move to Tuesday.

Would have been Bruins - Pens tonight.

NHL Network now carrying Sabres game tonight for out of towners.

The Bruins game tonight will be played tomorrow so the Sabres move to Tuesday.

Would have been Bruins - Pens tonight.

NHL Network now carrying Sabres game tonight for out of towners.

Son of a ######, now I *can't* see it. F-ing gamecenter and blackouts.

(yeah, that's a pretty minor issue in the big-picture)

This is a pretty strong show of force to the world. You wonder if overkill is part of a strategy to deter any ideas of further attacks. Of course it could also serve to show you can get a pretty good bang for your buck. Couple of crude bombs, put a major American city in lockdown. What happened to "live your lives." I've had this weird thought there's much more to this story than meets the eye, not to go all GoDD here. Some threat of bio/chemical/dirty bomb?

Wow!

Maybe they should send in Mitch Rapp.

For sure!

How were the Boston PD unable to assemble enough overwhelming forces quickly enough to prevent a 19 year old foreigner from escaping, and by said escape, sending the entire city into turmoil, at an enormous price to area residents?

I'm not sure how religious people/conservatives got dragged into this, but let's hold off on the ridiculous overgeneralizations. Terrorists, criminals, and crazy people who do crazy things come from all walks of life and often misuse and co-opt the teachings or labels of some religion or political group/ideology to further their own purposes.

The longer this drags out, the more likely that the last suspect is already dead. Gotta figure his primary goal is to cause harm so if he's not doing that it's hard to believe he could still be alive. Hiding doesn't make sense.

Hiding makes lots of sense. You can hide until you think you can escape. Or hide until you think you can carry out another attack. Terrorists hide a lot, sometimes for years.

Hiding makes lots of sense. You can hide until you think you can escape. Or hide until you think you can carry out another attack. Terrorists hide a lot, sometimes for years.

This doesn't seem like something that well thought out our long term.

Archived