OT: Explosions at the Boston Marathon

spndnchz

Not much goaltending on display in Buffalo tonight, but there was a beauty of a save in Mass.! Loved the coverage of folks in the streets cheering the police and other emergency responders.

I'm not loving the language I'm hearing — "justice has been done." Not yet. The guy gets his day in court. Although the legal maneuvering now could very well make Steve Ott pretty happy.

Not much goaltending on display in Buffalo tonight, but there was a beauty of a save in Mass.! Loved the coverage of folks in the streets cheering the police and other emergency responders.

I'm not loving the language I'm hearing — "justice has been done." Not yet. The guy gets his day in court. Although the legal maneuvering now could very well make Steve Ott pretty happy.

I find that all pretty weird.

I am a son, husband, father and citizen. I feel deeply about Boston and the events of the last few days. My feelings are uniquely mine, as are all of yours. Still, there is much in common.

I found myself coming to this board to read about Boston as much as I visited news pages. The facts, drama, logistics, law, order, and geopolitics found in the news are important to me. So, to, is the human commentary I find here, among the sons, daughters, husbands, wives and parents that are you.

SabreSpace is different You inform me.

I am a son, husband, father and citizen. I feel deeply about Boston and the events of the last few days. My feelings are uniquely mine, as are all of yours. Still, there is much in common.

I found myself coming to this board to read about Boston as much as I visited news pages. The facts, drama, logistics, law, order, and geopolitics found in the news are important to me. So, to, is the human commentary I find here, among the sons, daughters, husbands, wives and parents that are you.

SabreSpace is different You inform me.

Nicely put. I find the discourse on here, regardless of the world topic, to be enlightening. We are a diverse community that repeatedly demonstrates we can handle emotional topics with a remarkable degree of civility. For the most part we are self policing and care that our little coffee shop maintains its atmosphere. This board has evolved since I first joined. I can remember when it was exclusively a Sabres-only topic message board. Kudos to all on here, to our Mods, our Founder, and all that keep it real.

And kudos to law enforcement for solving a horrific crime and moment in American history in just four days.

Don't drag this out. Have him killed in custody and put this behind us quickly.

:doh:

A better idea may be to find out what causes a intelligent 19 year old kid to get involved in such a heinous act. Why would a kid with his entire life and endless possibilities a head of him throw it all away? Any information that can be obtained will be helpful in future investigations.

A better idea may be to find out what causes a intelligent 19 year old kid to get involved in such a heinous act. Why would a kid with his entire life and endless possibilities a head of him throw it all away? Any information that can be obtained will be helpful in future investigations.

Was just listening to Today Show. They were discussing who has jurisdiction over the case since Federal laws would be more strict than MA laws. This might get tried under MA laws allowing him to sidestep the death penalty.

I do agree that catching him alive affords the opportunity to try to understand from his perspective why this seemed like a good idea.

not much to be learned about a terrorist cell from a dead terrorist.

I do agree that catching him alive affords the opportunity to try to understand from his perspective why this seemed like a good idea.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with Tax Day, or Hitler's birthday, or the anniversary of the Columbine massacre, or some combination of those.

I hope he was not influenced by his older brother and convinced that this was what they had to do.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with Tax Day, or Hitler's birthday, or the anniversary of the Columbine massacre, or some combination of those.

I wouldn't think so.

My bet is that they are upset with the US not helping the *good guys* in their fight against the Russians.

not much to be learned about a terrorist cell from a dead terrorist.

I would be surprised if this was a terrorist cell. More likely, they acted alone and are not part of a large terrorist ring, IMO.

Really? Cheering the men and women who put their lives on the line all day? I do find one thing weird — the USA chants.

I didn't know how to answer this last night, but my awesome wife figured it out for me this morning when she said the same exact thing, "It's just weird." I asked her why she felt that way, because I felt the same and she said, "Four people are dead, over a hundred are injured,… there really isn't anything to cheer about. It feels like some futuristic novel."

Add to that people calling for public executions and the flag inexplicably on the graphic behind the photos of the dead suspects and all I can see is Damon Killiian from Running Man picking up the phone and saying, "Hello, this is Killian. Give me the Justice Department, Entertainment Division."

It's just weird.

I didn't know how to answer this last night, but my awesome wife figured it out for me this morning when she said the same exact thing, "It's just weird." I asked her why she felt that way, because I felt the same and she said, "Four people are dead, over a hundred are injured,… there really isn't anything to cheer about. It feels like some futuristic novel."

Add to that people calling for public executions and the flag inexplicably on the graphic behind the photos of the dead suspects and all I can see is Damon Killiian from Running Man picking up the phone and saying, "Hello, this is Killian. Give me the Justice Department, Entertainment Division."

It's just weird.

The crux of it is that the damage is done. We didn't win back anything we lost by catching the guy last night. I'm not going to tell people not to cheer law enforcement but I can't say that I felt like cheering anything during this debacle.

It's just weird.

The Buffalo News headline is "Justice has won." There are no winners or losers in a tragedy like this. There is only sadness and the realization we are likely days or weeks away from the next tragedy.

The Buffalo News headline is "Justice has won." There are no winners or losers in a tragedy like this. There is only sadness and the realization we are likely days or weeks away from the next tragedy.

There are losers. There are no winners.

Well, my thought was how did he manage to get away in the first place during the battle when the brother was killed? That bit of 'work' caused an entire major metropolitan area to be shut down. And how did the 'expert investigators', with hundreds of cops and door to door searches somehow miss a guy hiding under a tarp over a stored boat? If the homeowner hadn't noticed - he may have gotten away.

I would be surprised if this was a terrorist cell. More likely, they acted alone and are not part of a large terrorist ring, IMO.

Those are questions that can be answered now.

By all accounts he was a gregarious high school kid 24 months ago who had a good social life, academically sound, and was never a social outcast.

I'm doubting it was his idea.

Archived