Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
qwksndmonster

Game of Thrones

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

the more i think about this the worse it gets.

we never got to see the night king fight a ***** thing. was he actually ever good at anything other than throwing a spear and raising the dead?

we never got to see any of the night king’s main henchmen fight.

we never learned who the night king is and it’s irrelevant now.

everyone of consequence survived.

it took a throw from the left field wall to tag the night king out at home in the bottom of the 9th. (also, how did literally nobody stop arya considering they were surrounded?)

I get all that, but it's not over yet. We may still get the answers at least, and more people will die

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I get all that, but it's not over yet. We may still get the answers at least, and more people will die

i expected people to die there and elsewhere. they’ve got a massive bank of characters. also, the answers to some questions no longer matter. i sort of expect that if they do unveil the night king’s identity it will be bran admitting he was the night king since he said that dagger would kill him one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hoss said:

i expected people to die there and elsewhere. they’ve got a massive bank of characters. also, the answers to some questions no longer matter. i sort of expect that if they do unveil the night king’s identity it will be bran admitting he was the night king since he said that dagger would kill him one day.

This is also the problem with something like this; the fan theories are just never going to match what in reality happens. I've read a bunch of fantasy books where they take years to finish, and while people wait the fans comb through the books and string together incredible theories that honestly the one person alone just wouldn't think of. I've never seen it fail to happen; the cumulative efforts of millions of fans are just far superior than the actual author him/herself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say that the Night king survived a fall from a dragon followed by a dragon inferno. Badass enough for me.

The zombies around Bran seems like they had been “turned off” by the Night King’s arrival and Arya is stealthier than most.

Also, in my view, the Night King was always secondary to the Game of Thrones itself. In the books he’s not even an on-screen character.

Finally, eight characters died, two of them who had been important since day one. And there are three more episodes to go. This show has really changed audience expectations about character survival in a TV show.

Speaking of TV, I’m not sure I have seen a better TV show from a production standpoint. As someone pointed out upthread, the score was outstanding.

Edited by dudacek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starks win the Battle of Winterfell.  Do the Starks also win Infinity War? I’ll know tonight when I see the movie.  Out of the fire and back into the frying pan.  

Just curious but is Iron Man’s suit made from Valarian Steel?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try not to be overly critical of massive episodes like this - you will never meet anyone’s expectations. 

The one puzzling stone in my shoe was where the hell was Dany when they lit the trench? The dead were all just standing there. I figured that was the time to light them all on fire. 

I also wasn’t sure where Jon was going when he raced into WF after the NK raised the dead and Dany cleared the deck. 

How did Arya know to go to Bran? 

With so many dead overrunning WF - anyone on the front lines should have been killed. 

Those are just a few minor questions. It was fun, but I think a bunch more characters needed to go given the way they portrayed the battle. 

I think there was a missed opportunity for someone down in the crypt to kill a famous dead Stark.  That could have been dramatic if Sansa had to kill Ned or her mother. 

I’m not sure how an episode that was all battle was supposed to reveal who the night king was. In what context were we going to have that revealed? I’m not bothered.  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything I expected did happen, was talking about GoT with my cousin, and we both thought Arya would kill the night king.   Bit anti climactic how she suddenly showed up but she is all about stealth.  When Melissandra told her what do we say to the king of death? and she replied: not today.   I just knew she was going to kill him.

Jons story arc ends with him sitting on the Iron throne, he was pretty useless in this one though except riding a dragon.    Didn't think Brienne would survive this, and both mormonts dying surprised me a bit.

Jamie I knew would survive, bron still has that crossbow and well he is the only one that can turn the lannister army to switch sides.   Its mainly why Cersei wants him dead.

Only thing that bothers me is we will never know why the night king did this.   Might just as well be a zombie army now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hoss said:

the more i think about this the worse it gets.

we never got to see the night king fight a ***** thing. was he actually ever good at anything other than throwing a spear and raising the dead?

we never got to see any of the night king’s main henchmen fight.

we never learned who the night king is and it’s irrelevant now.

everyone of consequence survived.

it took a throw from the left field wall to tag the night king out at home in the bottom of the 9th. (also, how did literally nobody stop arya considering they were surrounded?)

As for that I just got pointed out that.   

"The night king existed to cure all the evils of man"

It was revealed in the the children of the forest episode

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SDS Arya knew to go to Bran when Melisandre said “Blue Eyes.” 

As to the King/Queen of the future.  If Jon is the King because his birth unites the North and South, then they need to create a Constitutional Monarchy.  Other then Sword fighting he isn’t really good at anything.  He isn’t smart.  He isn’t a good general.  

Sansa may have also tipped her hand when she said “we’d all be dead already without the Dragon Queen.”

Dany survived, saved Jon at the risk of her own life,    and proved herself a capable warrior on the ground and air.  She also showed real emotion when Jorah died melting away the cold facade and has shown real leadership.

Arya has been my favorite character.  I’m not sure if her future when this is over but lead general and top advisor may be the ticket.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Anything I expected did happen, was talking about GoT with my cousin, and we both thought Arya would kill the night king.   Bit anti climactic how she suddenly showed up but she is all about stealth.  When Melissandra told her what do we say to the king God of death? and she replied: not today.   I just knew she was going to kill him.

Fixed.  Not quite as literal, but the idea is the same.

57 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sansa may have also tipped her hand when she said “we’d all be dead already without the Dragon Queen.”

I believe that was Missandei, replying to Sansa saying that Tyrion's split loyalties to the Dragon Queen would be why their marriage would never work.  It was a very sarcastic quip about how there wouldn't be a problem without the Dragon Queen, because they would already all be dead.

Edited by carpandean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hoss said:

did i think arya would die? no. did i think the night king would die? yes.

i’m easy to please when it comes to tv and cinema (tho i connect strongly with only a few shows/movies) and this just didn’t get there for me. they basically fudged the numbers on the whole “longest fight scene” thing.

I simply meant did you see it coming before the episode? I didn't. 

10 hours ago, Hoss said:

nope. zero integral characters died in the “longest fight scene in cinematic history.” yeehaw.

it also holds the record for “worst lighting in cinematic history.”

There should have been another main death or two, given how the fight was playing out. That's for sure. But I also think too many main characters dying would have made it really hard to give each a fitting death. So yea it might have fit the battle better, but in a character-driven show, I think each one having their moment is also important.

The lighting is an interesting conversation. Plenty of people said it was fine once they adjusted their TV settings, and those with OLED were fine regardless. Obviously that shouldn't be necessary to do, but it helped bring me into the atmosphere of the battle. I could just feel the chaos and dread, and the lighting was part of it. I didn't have a problem with it, but I understand those who wanted to be able to see more directly.

10 hours ago, Hoss said:

the more i think about this the worse it gets.

we never got to see the night king fight a ***** thing. was he actually ever good at anything other than throwing a spear and raising the dead?

we never got to see any of the night king’s main henchmen fight.

we never learned who the night king is and it’s irrelevant now.

everyone of consequence survived.

it took a throw from the left field wall to tag the night king out at home in the bottom of the 9th. (also, how did literally nobody stop arya considering they were surrounded?)

The Night King ate dragon fire and just smiled. He also dispatched a charging Theon without even trying. What more do you need?

And we know who the Night King is and why he exists, we learned it in previous episodes. We don't know the specific person who became the Night King, if that's what you mean, but I don't think that's particularly integral to the story. 

And not everyone of consequence survived. Jorah has been hugely important as a mentor/advisor to Dany, and he's the reason she kept Tyrion on as hand. And Theon is one of my least favorite characters, but he has had a lot of important moments in the story whether it's betraying Robb or saving Sansa.

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

there was certainly a lot of tension, but, for me, that tension feels like it was created from the hype and the “let’s push jamie against a wall with five zombies on top of him but not have him suffer any wounds” kinda stuff.

the score was absolutely brilliant, at least. jon’s role in the episode was also very good from start to finish.

At least we agree on the score being incredible 🙂

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

I will say that the Night king survived a fall from a dragon followed by a dragon inferno. Badass enough for me.

The zombies around Bran seems like they had been “turned off” by the Night King’s arrival and Arya is stealthier than most.

Also, in my view, the Night King was always secondary to the Game of Thrones itself. In the books he’s not even an on-screen character.

Finally, eight characters died, two of them who had been important since day one. And there are three more episodes to go. This show has really changed audience expectations about character survival in a TV show.

Speaking of TV, I’m not sure I have seen a better TV show from a production standpoint. As someone pointed out upthread, the score was outstanding.

See, I've always thought the battle for the Iron Throne was secondary to the war against the Night King. It's just that nobody knew it at the start, and only a few learned about it until recently.

8 hours ago, SDS said:

I try not to be overly critical of massive episodes like this - you will never meet anyone’s expectations. 

The one puzzling stone in my shoe was where the hell was Dany when they lit the trench? The dead were all just standing there. I figured that was the time to light them all on fire. 

I also wasn’t sure where Jon was going when he raced into WF after the NK raised the dead and Dany cleared the deck. 

How did Arya know to go to Bran? 

With so many dead overrunning WF - anyone on the front lines should have been killed. 

Those are just a few minor questions. It was fun, but I think a bunch more characters needed to go given the way they portrayed the battle. 

I think there was a missed opportunity for someone down in the crypt to kill a famous dead Stark.  That could have been dramatic if Sansa had to kill Ned or her mother. 

I’m not sure how an episode that was all battle was supposed to reveal who the night king was. In what context were we going to have that revealed? I’m not bothered.  

Her and Jon were hunting the Night King at that point, no? Some of the dragon scenes were definitely disorienting though with regard to where they actually were.

As someone else mentioned, Arya knew to go to Bran because of what Melissandre told her.

Sure, everyone on the front lines should have died. But I'm not really bothered by that compared to the ice dragon exploding an exterior siege wall and then somehow not being able to kill Jon through a dinky interior wall.

16 minutes ago, carpandean said:

I believe that was Missandei, replying to Sansa saying that Tyrion's split loyalties to the Dragon Queen would be why their marriage would never work.  It was a very sarcastic quip about how there wouldn't be a problem without the Dragon Queen, because they would already all be dead.

Correct. I'm really interested to see where Sansa ends up in all of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

1. See, I've always thought the battle for the Iron Throne was secondary to the war against the Night King. It's just that nobody knew it at the start, and only a few learned about it until recently.

2. Her and Jon were hunting the Night King at that point, no? Some of the dragon scenes were definitely disorienting though with regard to where they actually were.

3. As someone else mentioned, Arya knew to go to Bran because of what Melissandre told her.

4. Sure, everyone on the front lines should have died. But I'm not really bothered by that compared to the ice dragon exploding an exterior siege wall and then somehow not being able to kill Jon through a dinky interior wall.

1. I would agree 

2. I suppose. I'm not sure why her and Jon couldn't have mowed down the entire army though in short order. I figured that had to be the plan once they started it and would have to be stopped by the NK. It seems they just got distracted. I'd have to watch it again.

3. Yeah, I watched it at 1am after my hockey game. I completely missed the blue eye/God of Death foreshadowing. (yikes)

4. Ugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall I enjoyed the episode but it felt like there should have been "more" to it, story-wise. The series literally opens up with the White Walkers taking down some Night's Watch and then they spend 6 1/2 seasons building up the army of the dead. Was hoping to see some melee with the White Walker "generals". I was expecting those guys to kill a Brienne or Tormund or Greyworm or anyone really...instead they opted for the "slow-mo walk looking all fancy with our sexy ice-flow". The Ice Generals deserved to go down easy for never getting their hands dirty.

Really hoping for an Arya / Hound good-cop bad-cop spin-off series after this is all over. Speaking of the Hound, when is he going to get over his fear of fire? Probably when he squares off with the Mountain.

The blizzard that the ice king summoned took out the dragons from play because they were completely blinded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I told my wife that Arya could kill The Night King and even though I called it it was still a great and powerful scene. Bravo Game Of Thrones again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SDS said:

1. I would agree 

2. I suppose. I'm not sure why her and Jon couldn't have mowed down the entire army though in short order. I figured that had to be the plan once they started it and would have to be stopped by the NK. It seems they just got distracted. I'd have to watch it again.

3. Yeah, I watched it at 1am after my hockey game. I completely missed the blue eye/God of Death foreshadowing. (yikes)

4. Ugh.

Like Dany, Jon is a Targaryen.  He likely can’t be burned.  

Makes you wonder if the Night King was also a Targaryen.

Another note.  Was the Hound’s anxiety attack brought on by being surrounded by fire.  Doesn’t he have a fear of fire after getting burned?

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Like Dany, Jon is a Targaryen.  He likely can’t be burned.  

Makes you wonder if the Night King was also a Targaryen.

Another note.  Was the Hound’s anxiety attack brought on by being surrounded by fire.  Doesn’t he have a fear of fire after getting burned?

 

My point was that the ice dragon's breath should have just obliterated the things Jon was hiding behind. It took down The Wall and Winterfell's siege wall. Talk about discontinuity. I'd also assume that its breath isn't fire in the Targaryen's are immune sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

My point was that the ice dragon's breath should have just obliterated the things Jon was hiding behind. It took down The Wall and Winterfell's siege wall. Talk about discontinuity. I'd also assume that its breath isn't fire in the Targaryen's are immune sense.

Why would the Night King essentially made of ice be immune to dragon fire if the people immune to regular dragon fire aren’t immune to the ice fire?  It should work both ways.  Although I agree that the wall should have been blown away. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why would the Night King essentially made of ice be immune to dragon fire if the people immune to regular dragon fire aren’t immune to the ice fire?  It should work both ways.  Although I agree that the wall should have been blown away. 

 

The Night King isn't exactly a normal mortal human the way Jon and Dany are. I see no reason why you'd assume it would work the same for him as for Jon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I think about it the more that Dothraki charge at the beginning of the battle pisses me off. What was the game plan there.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since when are the Targaryens normal humans? What other characters in this story are immune to fire?  They have to be infused with some magic to create the immunity to fire. Also Jon and Beric were magically brought back to life.  We can’t assume normal “human” rules apply. 

 

1 minute ago, sabills said:

The more I think about it the more that Dothraki charge at the beginning of the battle pisses me off. What was the game plan there.

The plan was to have a Hollywood cool cgi scene where we watch the fires go out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Since when are the Targaryens normal humans? What other characters in this story are immune to fire?  They have to be infused with some magic to create the immunity to fire. Also Jon and Beric were magically brought back to life.  We can’t assume normal “human” rules apply. 

 

The plan was to have a Hollywood cool cgi scene where we watch the fires go out.

 

I mean its a cool scene, no doubt. And I'll grant some amount ignoring strategy for plot development. But they didn't even have dragonglass weapons. There was no option besides "they all die".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sabills said:

I mean its a cool scene, no doubt. And I'll grant some amount ignoring strategy for plot development. But they didn't even have dragonglass weapons. There was no option besides "they all die". 

I don't think this is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...