What if Vanek were Captain?

I am Defecting

Vanek demands puck, takes beating, plays hurt, at least, gritting his teeth while Ruff tells him What Now? About Hockey?

No Captaincy. How would you describe the look in Vanek's face, when Ruff speaks into his ear? He's a Buffalonian, in my book.

I am not surprised that he found his game back in Austria.(NBC broadcast).

Then Pominville would have been traded. :angel:

I think teams channel their Captain. Which is why I was opposed and am opposed to the Pominville Captaincy. I would have and still would give it to Ott.

Vanek doesn't seem like the type. There is no rush for the national media to inteview him. That should tell something, I think.

I think teams channel their Captain. Which is why I was opposed and am opposed to the Pominville Captaincy. I would have and still would give it to Ott.

Vanek doesn't seem like the type. There is no rush for the national media to inteview him. That should tell something, I think.

I agree, I don't seem him as the leader type, he seems like he is more of the personality that wants to be left alone to just play his game.

I think people really blow the importance of the captancy out of proportion these days, anyone can take charge and be a leader, they don't need to have a 'C' on their jersey to do it.

As for Ott, didn't people have an issue with them naming Rivet captain once he got here because he was "the new guy"?

Vanek demands puck, takes beating, plays hurt, at least, gritting his teeth while Ruff tells him What Now? About Hockey?

No Captaincy. How would you describe the look in Vanek's face, when Ruff speaks into his ear? He's a Buffalonian, in my book.

I am not surprised that he found his game back in Austria.(NBC broadcast).

If he was a Buffalonian, his ears would be glistening.

Seems that most NHL captains are either: (a) the most gifted offensive player on the team, (b) a shut-down type of minute-eating defenseman, or [c] a "heart-and-soul, skate through a wall" type of player. I think Vanek fits (a) and Ott clearly fits [c]. I wouldn't have a problem with either, but would prefer someone of the [c] variety.

Seems that most NHL captains are either: (a) the most gifted offensive player on the team, (b) a shut-down type of minute-eating defenseman, or [c] a "heart-and-soul, skate through a wall" type of player. I think Vanek fits (a) and Ott clearly fits [c]. I wouldn't have a problem with either, but would prefer someone of the [c] variety.

I'll take a, b, and c rolled into one ;)

I don't think a letter on a players jersey means anything other than who takes ceremonial face-offs before games.

Pominville, the quieter, lead by example guy, speaks up when needed. Liaison between the coach and players.

Vanek, he's said himself he doesn't speak up much but is there to talk to if someone needs an ear

Then you have Ott, more outspoken, is in the conversations with the players, motivator guy, and

Miller. he doesn't wear a C but sure is a voice in the locker room.

I think., like ink, that you need a number of different types of Captains and guys in the room. Some teach, some listen, some lead by example, some speak up.

Not the problem or solution for this team right now.

I don't think a letter on a players jersey means anything other than who takes ceremonial face-offs before games.

Agreed.

I think the captaincy here holds more relevance because some think that part of the coachs' duties belong to the appointed captain. We know Ruff is't going anywhere, so why not dream of a new captain because that is way more likely.

Tyler Myers. Sigh...

I have a dream, that one day.....

Shea Weber!

Yes, that's my ideal. Give me a defender who can play 26+ per game, in every situation, who sets the tone for the team. Ink and Chz may be right in that it ultimately doesn't matter who is wearing the letter, but even still, guys like Weber are my ideal.

Agreed.

I think the captaincy here holds more relevance because some think that part of the coachs' duties belong to the appointed captain. We know Ruff is't going anywhere, so why not dream of a new captain because that is way more likely.

I actually think Ruff changing the captain is less likely than Ruff getting fired this year. If he didn't strip it from Rivet when he was constantly a healthy scratch, he's not taking it from Pominville.

Pommers has got to be the easiest players to knock off the puck, and he goes down when someone sneezes on the bench... nice guy, but I never thought the "C" should just go to the most popular player - just the guy who pushed others to excel by the example he sets on the ice.

My vote would be someone like Kaleta - he is literally home-grown, he has cut down on the cheaper shots that put him in the box and has become a smarter all around player (that doesn't prevent teams from still trying to settle old scores), he still gets under the other teams skin and draws a lot of penalties without retaliating, he's selfless, works hard down low to try to setup his team mates, and he went down at least twice against Pittsburgh to block shots with his body....

You need the skill players who can score and teams need speed for the transition game, but this team more often than not just needs to play the same selfless hockey Patty has been playing with same kind of heart and they will win more often than they ever lose.

Pommers has got to be the easiest players to knock off the puck, and he goes down when someone sneezes on the bench... nice guy, but I never thought the "C" should just go to the most popular player - just the guy who pushed others to excel by the example he sets on the ice.

My vote would be someone like Kaleta - he is literally home-grown, he has cut down on the cheaper shots that put him in the box and has become a smarter all around player (that doesn't prevent teams from still trying to settle old scores), he still gets under the other teams skin and draws a lot of penalties without retaliating, he's selfless, works hard down low to try to setup his team mates, and he went down at least twice against Pittsburgh to block shots with his body....

You need the skill players who can score and teams need speed for the transition game, but this team more often than not just needs to play the same selfless hockey Patty has been playing with same kind of heart and they will win more often than they ever lose.

If the team hasn't followed Kaleta's lead in how many years he's been here, do you really think sewing a "C" onto his jersey will make others follow his lead? I don't.

I agree with everything you just said about Kaleta, he's one of my favorite NHL'ers..... but you need a Captain that's gonna be around a while, and Kaleta is pushing that envelope with his style of play.

I forgot players were allowed to do that until he blocked those 2 shots on Sunday, its something I missed since McKee was on the ice doing it for them. It seems like guys don't want to get infront of shots and block them anymore.

let em guess, Lindy coached it out of these guys, his system won't allow it?

If the team hasn't followed Kaleta's lead in how many years he's been here, do you really think sewing a "C" onto his jersey will make others follow his lead? I don't.

At least it would show that the "C" stands for something - if it doesn't do anything for the old guard on the team, maybe the new guys like Ott?

I am just as bummed as the next guy, but when Kaleta made his way to the bench all bruised up from blocking those shots who was the one guy to reach over and pat him on the helmet...big John Scott:)

I have a dream, that one day.....

Yes, that's my ideal. Give me a defender who can play 26+ per game, in every situation, who sets the tone for the team. Ink and Chz may be right in that it ultimately doesn't matter who is wearing the letter, but even still, guys like Weber are my ideal.

I actually think Ruff changing the captain is less likely than Ruff getting fired this year. If he didn't strip it from Rivet when he was constantly a healthy scratch, he's not taking it from Pominville.

Ruff knows the effect stripping the "C" has on a player. It happened to him and he promptly requested to be traded if I remember correctly.

Tyler Myers. Sigh...

He's going to get there.

Unfortunately I think you are right.

Ruff knows the effect stripping the "C" has on a player. It happened to him and he promptly requested to be traded if I remember correctly.

I guess that is why for so many years Lindy embraced the co-captain or rotating captain routine. Of course if my coach thought I was only good enough to be captain fo 30-40 games a year I would promptly request to be traded.

Not only that, but, Pomminstein has been very consistent throughout his time here. He may not be the guy that you envision as your team captain, but he hasn't done anything to deserve having the C stripped from him. He is the same player that was made team captain a few seasons ago, maybe better. In the case of Rivet, it was rediculous, because the guy just clearly wasn't (or couldn't) produce any longer. I think Pomminstein takes way too much crap...he isn't the reason this team is under-achieving.

All that said, Ott, so far, would be my guy. What I like about him, beside his gritty play (he walks the walk), he sounds like he loves playing hockey...he hasn't been affected by the Sabres excuse syndrome yet. If Pomminstein, and any other Sabres for that matter, have one tragic (annoying) flaw, as a fan, is that they always seem to have built in excuses for why they let another one slip away...and I hate to say it, they take after their coach. Ruff, like his players, always seem armed with an excuse...

Archived