The other sports thread

Eleven

It's mixed martial arts. It's no different from boxing aside from the ability to box with your feet and grappling. I have no doubt that if roids didn't come with roid rage it would be legal in sports.

Boxers used to kill each other. Good old blood sports. People watch them for the blood. Give them what they want. Roid on.

Off the UFC topic: Peter King of Sports Illustrated just said, in his own words, that he will still vote for Darren Sharper even though he's a serial rapist as long as he feels he did enough on the field... That's absurd. I can't be alone on this, right?

These writers sit around and tweet/write about how the NFL needs to show it cares about women/children by punishing perpetrators of domestic violence on a consistent basis, but then THIS? Oh my. I hope this isn't a more common thought.

Off the UFC topic: Peter King of Sports Illustrated just said, in his own words, that he will still vote for Darren Sharper even though he's a serial rapist as long as he feels he did enough on the field... That's ###### absurd. I can't be alone on this, right?

These writers sit around and tweet/write about how the NFL needs to show it cares about women/children by punishing perpetrators of domestic violence on a consistent basis, but then THIS? Oh my. I hope this isn't a more common thought.

Yeah, that's up.

Sharper is the talented version of Jerramy Stevens. Although Stevens and his trailer trash bride seem to be getting some sort of comeuppance.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Josh Hamilton relapsed on coke and booze again. Word is the MLB is probably going to lay down some punishment.

Is it right or wrong for Major League Baseball to suspend an addict? Discuss! Or don't, I won't tell you what to do.

So, Josh Hamilton relapsed on coke and booze again. Word is the MLB is probably going to lay down some punishment.

Is it right or wrong for Major League Baseball to suspend an addict? Discuss! Or don't, I won't tell you what to do.

If he were black this wouldn't be a question. Josh Gordon got crucified for drinking alcohol while under the watchful eye of the drug/alcohol program.

(Not saying this at you, per se, because you didn't express your opinion on the matter. I just saw a lot of people on Twitter saying they hope Hamilton can fight this and get better yadda yadda.)

Edited by Tank

I don't think he should be suspended, especially since it was during the offseason while rehabbing from shoulder surgery. That being said, I would guess that if this is a continuing problem and not just a one-time offseason relapse, the Angels or even Hamilton himself will take a self-imposed break to get his stuff together. Again.

If he were black this wouldn't be a question. Josh Gordon got crucified for drinking alcohol while under the watchful eye of the drug/alcohol program.

(Not saying this at you, per se, because you didn't express your opinion on the matter. I just saw a lot of people on Twitter saying they hope Hamilton can fight this and get better yadda yadda.)

Did Doc Gooden or Darryl Strawberry ever get suspended for blowing lines and banging skanks right in the locker room in '86? It took until Strawberry hit the downside of his career to get suspended, and unlike Hamilton's current case, Straw actually failed a test.

Edit: Same with Gooden, by the way. Ten years after riding coke to their WS rings.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be suspended, he probably should. I'm just not convinced it's a race thing. But I'm a cynic...

Edited by ubkev

• 3 weeks later...

Awwwww. I remember my first time. Now we can act like there's more than one relevant basketball program in WNY!

(I'm just messing, congratulations. Always good when a local team does something special)

Edited by Tank

I remember going to games hoping we would make the tournament that year... if they win it would be the first time in program history.... LETS GO BULLS!!!

When I was there UB was DIII. The only reason I ever stepped foot in Alumni arena was to register for classes. It was a sorry state of affairs, UB has come a loooooong way.

When I was there UB was DIII. The only reason I ever stepped foot in Alumni arena was to register for classes. It was a sorry state of affairs, UB has come a loooooong way.

haha back in the day  :flirt:  just playing, I loved going to basketball games in the winter because Alumni was just a blast.  Glad UB keeps coming up in the world.