The other sports thread

Eleven

Yes indeed, although in typical Orange fashion they play a whole month's worth of cupcake games before the ACC season gets started. I don't really start getting into it until there is a chance they actually lose.

All college hoops teams start with a soft nonconference schedule unless they go to a tournament of sorts.

All college hoops teams start with a soft nonconference schedule unless they go to a tournament of sorts.

Oh no doubt. My comment wasn't meant to be specific to Syracuse. But barring some crazy early season upset, i'm not going to tune in to a Syracuse-Holy Cross game where the final ends up being 90-46. I've got better ways to spend my time...

...(like watching the Sabres get blown out 4-1 by the Blues) :bag:

Oh no doubt. My comment wasn't meant to be specific to Syracuse. But barring some crazy early season upset, i'm not going to tune in to a Syracuse-Holy Cross game where the final ends up being 90-46. I've got better ways to spend my time...

...(like watching the Sabres get blown out 4-1 by the Blues) :bag:

You missed out. Cuse was entertaining as hell. And the Sabres, well, the Sabres were predictably not entertaining, as per usual.

• 2 weeks later...

So, of interest to me as a (somewhat local) story, and will probably raise maybe one and a half eyebrows nationwide, Liberty (the kingdom of Falwell) University has named Baylor's recently and significantly disgraced former AD as their new AD. The same guy who, along with Ken Starr (heh, remember his act?) fell on his sword for obvious "mishandling" of rampant sexual assault by student athletes (or, you know, sweeping everything as far under the rug as possible so as to benefit the athletic program to the detriment of the actual school and the students who pay exorbitant tuition in the hopes of an actual education).

Evidently the message being put forth is "everyone is redeemable." Um, no. The NCAA needs to be shut down, but short of that, member schools, especially one as superficially pious as Liberty needs to be setting a positive example. Instead of, you know, the usual mealy-mouthed "we can win a few more football games so it's all good." Ick.

Rant over,

MLB strikes up a new labor deal, hours before midnight, to avoid a labor dispute and subsequent lockout. Good for them. After their best season, I don't know, 20 years? they didn't mess around and got everything all set so the teams can have a regular FA period. 

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18176138/mlb-owners-players-union-reach-tentative-deal-new-labor-contract

Everyone in the building just started cheering as the Pedophile State game ended.

...one of those time that I wish I had a ###### flamethrower!

I've read that this game was described by whatever talking head called it on TV as "Part of the healing process."  As if Penn State, and, most importantly, Penn State's Football Program were the victims in everything. 

Great, I need a shower now. 

I've read that this game was described by whatever talking head called it on TV as "Part of the healing process." As if Penn State, and, most importantly, Penn State's Football Program were the victims in everything.

Great, I need a shower now.

I may or may not have called several people "kiddie enablers" last night. Or something to that effect.

Red Sox give up the best prospect in baseball and more for Chris Sale

In case anyone is not familiar to Yoan Moncada, he's a Cuban player the Red Sox shelled out $72 million to join their org. So it's not exactly trading away homegrown talent for a star. More like just paying for that star with talent vs raiding the pipeline.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's early, but anybody thinking of going to round 1 of March Madness in Buffalo this upcoming tourney? It's always been a sports bucket list item for me. Might come home for it. Hell, it might even turn into my bachelor party!

Do it. The tournament is awesome, especially round 1 and the final 4.

Do it. The tournament is awesome, especially round 1 and the final 4.

I think I'm gonna go regardless. If it turns into my bachelor party, all the better. The best man and I live down here in Columbus. But the rest of the party lives up in Buffalo, Amherst, and Batavia. Perfect timing, saves them the travel, and something I've always wanted to do. Also I got engaged right there at the Marriott (way back in the olden days, when the arena was known as First Niagara Center :P) so it would be fitting to party it up right there.

I'm talking myself more and more into this even though it's not mine to plan haha.